Author Topic: Should I track Hunger for NPCs?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Should I track Hunger for NPCs?
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:59:48 AM »
So I have a BCV running around, and if he gets into a scuffle with the PCs I see him using his powers a lot.  He also isn't shy about killing by feeding.

So should I bother tracking feeding stress, or should I just have the BCV kill someone after any significant usage of powers?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Should I track Hunger for NPCs?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:08:16 AM »
I'd say it is important.  In a fight the BCV may lose control and only be able to try and feed on anotehr NPC or player.  It could decide a battle.   Also, if the BCV retreats, it could force him/her to feed on someone he/she doesn't want to, can't beat, or may normally avoid.

I think it may be important to keep track.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:10 AM »
Going crazy with hunger like that won't happen mid scene, since it only gets rolled at the end of a scene.

As to killing someone right after, I figure I'll just have that happen whenever he uses most of his affected powers.

Offline HobbitWarrior

• Participant
  • sans Honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:22:26 AM »
If it's a strait up fight, I don't usually bother since hunger stress doesn't activate until the end of the scene.  Especially if the guy in question isn't squeamish about killing.  It's completely relative to the situation though.  Like, if they're purposely running an endurance game against it to wear it down.  Then, yes, that would be a good time to keep track.  Alternately if you're in more of a social setting and the only easy prey happens to be a non-combat oriented friend of the PC's.  Or someone they'll miss.  That's a decent, "well you did drive him to this" scenario. 

Overall, unless it's specific to the situation it's mostly micromanaging. 
Rogues do it from behind.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »
Bear in mind, battles can last more than one scene.  If you think that's remotely likely, you should keep track.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »
If it's useful, use it.

If you forgot to use it, and find you need it, fudge it.   ;)