Author Topic: Using real locations...  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Using real locations...
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:28:30 AM »
How do I go about this? I was planning on using an apartment complex for my character to live in when I asked myself, "am i allowed to use the actual name of this place?"

When it comes to apartments, stores, restaurants and such, are there rules for using actual names and locations if I plan on writing a book I would hope to get published one day? Do I need to get permission or something? Would it be easier for me to make up places?

(PS; What if I planned to set fire to a location in the book that really exists? Would that potentially anger the real owner if they ever read the book?)  :o

Any advice is, as usual, appreciated!  ;D
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Using real locations...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:46:53 AM »
You can use real places, but I would stick to well known ones and make up the rest, maybe altering the names a littlebit.  For instance my landlord is Candlewood.  I would change their name to Sandalwood, Waxwood, or something like that for fictional purposes and then describe the building the same.
However, I'd call The Sears Tower just that, it's a landmark.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Using real locations...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:10 AM »
All depends on the author.  Partly whether they use a real world setting or create their own--like Jim using Chicago, compared to Charlaine Harris's Bon Temps.  Least I'm pretty certain that one's made up.  Also, just depends on the author.  I believe that Harry's apartment building is completely made up.  But in comparison to that, Patricia Briggs has told a story a couple times about needing a house to use for one of her books and a friend said she could use their house.  Patricia's said before that all the houses in her books are actual houses in the Tricities area.  She just doesn't give any specifics as to where they actually are.

Generally, if it's a residential place, I'd say to fudge that in a way, but if it's a landmark and/or recognizable, don't change it.  If it's both...not entirely sure on that one.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury