Author Topic: Aspects - How do I Compel that?  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Aspects - How do I Compel that?
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »
Some thinking I'm doing for our DFRPG game, starting in earnest (City/Character Generation done!) tomorrow. This is a bit of a thought exercise I'm doing for two reasons; firstly, as a way to interrogate my existing Aspects to check that they are "double-edged"; secondly to give our GM some examples of things I'd really like to be Compelled on. I figured I'd share it with everyone so that if they feel like doing so they've got an example to inspire/aid.

See the thing is, I'm playing a low-Refresh character (and everyone bar our Champion of God is too; and that will change after the first story, Know Your Enemy), so Compels are going to be the primary source of FPs for me. And you need FPs (let's face it, finding ways to spend them is easy; it's coming up with good reasons to earn them that can be hard). The good thing about a Compel is that it's a complication that you want to happen. Thus you've written your Aspect in such a way as to highlight those sorts of conflicts and situations, that are bad for your character, yet interesting for you as a player to deal with.

So here goes.

(click to show/hide)

I think that's probably enough to be going on with, some of them are meatier than others. But I think that's a useful exercise in and of itself. Does anyone do something similar?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Aspects - How do I Compel that?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
Some folks do this for Compels, as well as for Invokes.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
Some folks do this for Compels, as well as for Invokes.

To be honest, I think Invokes are easy. Possibly too easy to need listing out some examples - unless you want some "gimmes" that you don't have to negotiate on the spot.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
Listing out one's possible Invokes can serve two purposes: as a reminder, and as an understanding between player and GM as to the latitude of an Aspect. But having those established for Compels is a lot more useful, yes.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Listing out one's possible Invokes can serve two purposes: as a reminder, and as an understanding between player and GM as to the latitude of an Aspect. But having those established for Compels is a lot more useful, yes.

Indeed, I'd say defining Invokes in that fashion is most useful for having some established understanding between player and GM.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
The lists you've got look good.  And yes, I do in fact do much the same thing, working out a listing of invokes and compels for all of my aspects (and, for characters that have been in play for a bit, I also keep track of old aspects that have been retired.)  For an example, Johann, the character I'm playing in a game on the play by post forums.

Offline Kiero

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »
The lists you've got look good.  And yes, I do in fact do much the same thing, working out a listing of invokes and compels for all of my aspects (and, for characters that have been in play for a bit, I also keep track of old aspects that have been retired.)  For an example, Johann, the character I'm playing in a game on the play by post forums.

Thanks.

Johann is quite an experienced character, what level are you playing at?

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »
I believe we're running on 18 refresh and 51 skill points.  It is, indeed, a rather high-powered game; other PCs are leaders of major mostly-local organizations, or nearly-senior-council-level warlocks, or the like.