Author Topic: Righteousness and Guide My Hand  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Burpcycle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Righteousness and Guide My Hand
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
I can't find descriptions of these powers anywhere. Could someone please post them?

NicholasQuinn

Re: Righteousness and Guide My Hand
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:41:25 PM »
They are in Your Story, in the religious part of the powers section.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
From memory:

Guide My Hand represents direct divine guidance. It lets you arrive at a convenient place without spending a FP and it lets you spend a FP to replace a non-attack skill with Conviction.

Righteousness represents being filled with divine power. It lets you pray and spend a FP to make Conviction complement everything for a while in pursuit of a noble goal and its lets you blast people with holy power when things get bad.

Offline Burpcycle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 03:28:39 AM »
From memory:

Guide My Hand represents direct divine guidance. It lets you arrive at a convenient place without spending a FP and it lets you spend a FP to replace a non-attack skill with Conviction.

Righteousness represents being filled with divine power. It lets you pray and spend a FP to make Conviction complement everything for a while in pursuit of a noble goal and its lets you blast people with holy power when things get bad.

Thanks. The blast people thing is just straight stress damage?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
Practically everything is "just stress".  The sole exception is some rituals you can do to temporarily assign aspects or to select consequences.

Richard

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 03:44:29 AM »
'Temporarily assigning aspects' is more commonly known as 'maneuvering', and 'selecting consequences' violates one of the fundamental strictures of the system.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 04:06:49 AM »
Practically everything is "just stress".  The sole exception is some rituals you can do to temporarily assign aspects or to select consequences.

Richard

'Temporarily assigning aspects' is more commonly known as 'maneuvering', and 'selecting consequences' violates one of the fundamental strictures of the system.

Attempting to be non combative when addressing this. 

(click to show/hide)

Yeah Righteousness is pretty nice, but seems to become weaker the tougher the bad guys get, as many will have a decent amount of discipline to defend with.  Early on though, it's devestating.

In some cases a True Believer/KoC might be better off burning a few fate points on an attack instead.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:09:34 AM by Silverblaze »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:33:25 AM »

(click to show/hide)
Huh.  You read far more negativity into that than I did.  Not sure if I need to boost Rapport or not....

Regarding the two powers the OP is looking for, this is a good quick reference.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:50:11 AM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Burpcycle

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 06:49:25 AM »
Could someone maybe post the actual mechanics/text for Righteousness, please?

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:55:15 AM »
Could someone maybe post the actual mechanics/text for Righteousness, please?

Posting exact text from the book in large quantities may be against the terms of service or run into copyright issues. I can tell you that Righteousness is on Page 188 of the Your Story rulebook.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »

Sorry, it seems that I was unclear.

The poster was asking if the power 'only inflicted stress' and my reply was that that's what virtually all powers do.   As for the exception, I was referring to using Thaumaturgy to assign aspects and consequences - Your Story, pages 264 - 265.   That section specifically allows for someone to use Thaumaturgy to assign whatever consequence the caster wants.

As far as I can see, that use of Thaumaturgy is the only offensive power that doesn't work by inflicting stress...  Well, that and Addictive Saliva (that has a “consequential contest”) which allows the attacker to select a consequence.

Richard

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »

I apologise if I'm coming off that way.  I'll try to merely post my own opinion and stop trying change people's opinions.

Richard
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:27:10 PM by Richard_Chilton »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »
I think that Silverblaze has Richard and Tedronai's recent history in mind in saying that.

Anyway...I can't post the text of Righteousness because I don't have YS right now.

Not too worried about copyright, since I'm pretty sure that giving Burpcycle the effects of these powers won't stop him from buying YS. If anything, it will make him more likely to do so.

PS: @Burpcycle: You should totally buy YS. It was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 03:02:54 AM »
PS: @Burpcycle: You should totally buy YS. It was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Not only is it useful and entertaining, it's bloody huge by RPG manual standards and could be used to brain someone in a pinch.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
And the pages have a shiny coating so brains wipe off easily... or so I have heard.