Author Topic: The Accords and the Black Court  (Read 5046 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Re: The Accords and the Black Court
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »
At first I smiled evilly at that, but then it got stuck in my head. Curses!
Curse you both, it's got me now!
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline pensivetoast

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »
Except for the fact that the original cause of their collapse remains an ongoing condition of modern life: too many people are aware of their weaknesses.
True, but many people know of the weakness's of the fae, like cold iron.

Woj states that the other powers had grown worried about how powerful the blampires were becoming. I would imagine that now that they have been knocked down nobody plans on letting them stand back up again.

All the more reason to keep them under the guidance of accords as opposed to being free agents.

Really, I think it comes down to story telling. Would it be better for your story to have a vampire that is so nasty that he ignore the Accords at will? Or is it better to have the ramifications of having the PC's try to bring the blampire up on Accord violations?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 08:14:25 PM »
All the more reason to keep them under the guidance of accords as opposed to being free agents.

I think we differ in how much the Accords actually mean on a day to day.

Look at the examples of what signatories have done:
- tried to use the Shroud of Turin to create a huge plague
- targeted a wizard's girlfriend to be turned to score a point on the wizards.
- one side tried to encourage more True Love in the world to screw with the Court.
- Killed a member of a rival nation while she was n the hospital after having a baby (i.e. Harry's mother);
- Cursed the head of one faction in a way that will forever weaken (i.e. Harry's mother's death curse).
- walking into Marcone's office - breaking doors and hurting people along the way - to demand the return of his lost property.
- targeted another signatory for major thief (bank accounts and security code).
- One Freehold lord has set up a wizard killing trap and occasionally asks himself "Is now the time to kill Harry - or do I keep waiting for him to choose the time of our fight?".

Speaking of Freeholders - did anyone notice Harry treating Marcone any differently since White Night? Because I haven't seen any extra respect flowing that way.

Really, I think it comes down to story telling. Would it be better for your story to have a vampire that is so nasty that he ignore the Accords at will? Or is it better to have the ramifications of having the PC's try to bring the blampire up on Accord violations?

Bring them where? The Accords are a bit like international law.  If one faction ignores the rules they open themselves up to sanctions but in the default setting no "accords police" showed up when Harry broke them.

If people want to expand the setting to have Accord police and Accord peacekeepers - that's great.  If that's what you're interested in then would strongly recommend that you look into the Day Watch series of books.
(spoilers for that series - mostly for Book 3)
(click to show/hide)

Richard

Offline pensivetoast

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
No, I don't think there are any accord police. At least, there is no evidence of it in the books. On the other hand, the Archive does state that if anyone breaks the rules during the dual between Harry and Ortega, that it would be her duty to destroy them.

I think the accords are a very broad set of rules. They cover things like dueling, grievances, neutral grounds, and since they where written up by Mab and her brethren, probably offer some subtle advantage to the winter court that will one day bite everyone in the rear.

That being said, while the rules are probably loose and poorly enforced to a degree ( a lot of 'I was looking over there, so I didn't see that thing you just did that broke the rules), they are still rules. They can be used at any time as justification.

The challenge here would be bringing forth evidence of the accord being broken to interested parties. IE: However would benefit the most from seeing the blampires taken down another peg. And then convincing that other party to act.

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
While nothing has been mentioned yet, considering that the remainng Black Court are the strongest, swiftest, smartest etc i dont see why the remaining should not be enough to still qualify as a (weakend) small nation in the accords. Or pherhaps do what Marcone did as a group? Either way it makes sense that the black court would stay in the supernatural law for defensive purposes.

Even if they werent accord members the smart ones dont get cought and its in the best interests of survivors to kill any newbie that draws unwanted attention to the court.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »
The most recent iteration of the accords may be more recent than the BCVamp's fall... but how old is it's original ratification, and might they have signed on to that one? It's possible that even in their weakened state, they may have gotten grandfathered in.
The UK isn't close to the empire it was when the UN was formed, and Russia has all but shattered, but they still hold veto power within it because they were one of the founding nations.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 02:17:04 AM »
Wait, you guys were talking about Mavra at Bianca's party. Wasn't she there as a representative of an accorded nation? Wasn't everyone there who wasn't a red court vampire a representative of an accorded nation or a guest of one (with one exception of course)? I mean that was why Harry was there, and Lea, and Thomas and even Ferrovax.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:18:39 AM by sinker »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:57 AM »
If their identities are as Harry later suspected, it certainly wasn't why the two shadowy figures in the back were there (suspected Black Council involvement).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »
Right I forgot about them, but they still represented a powerful supernatural group (as the circle has proved to be). If BCVs aren't accorded then the same is most definitely not true of Mavra.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:05 AM »
Wait, you guys were talking about Mavra at Bianca's party. Wasn't she there as a representative of an accorded nation? Wasn't everyone there who wasn't a red court vampire a representative of an accorded nation or a guest of one (with one exception of course)? I mean that was why Harry was there, and Lea, and Thomas and even Ferrovax.

There were others that Harry didn't recognise - and it's my belief that Mavra was there just as a guest.  Not a member of an Accord nation but rather the person who had tutored Bianca in magic.  Possible as a "see? I've got a rare Black Court Vampire at my party" type statement.  When they talked she didn't mention the Accords but was using Old World Manners like a weapon.

And as someone mentioned, it looks like Cowl and his girlfriend was there - and they don't appear to be from an Accord nation.

But I could be wrong - if you can find anything in that party scene that refers to her being part of the Accords (or in any other scene where she appears) then please let me know.

Richard

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 05:40:49 AM »
There were others that Harry didn't recognise - and it's my belief that Mavra was there just as a guest.  Not a member of an Accord nation but rather the person who had tutored Bianca in magic.  Possible as a "see? I've got a rare Black Court Vampire at my party" type statement.

Ahh, that makes sense. I had forgotten that Mavra was Bianca's tutor. Alright then, carry on.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
I think the Black Court are still Accord signatories...if they ever were.  After all, the surviving individuals have as much or more power than most free holding signatories and the Black Court King could probably take a single Queen of Faerie down. 

That said, I don't see the Accords as providing much long term advantage to anyone other than Mab.  I suspect there are many Powers who haven't signed them. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »
Congratulations, you've just stuck Tubthumping in my head.
To erase any tune going around in your head your must play Slash's guitar break from November Rain 10 times VERY LOUDLY and if that fails play Enter Sandman by Metallica. Of course if you don't like rock music that will just F--- you up totally!!! 8)
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
@umbralux  Iirc we have no idea if there is anything like a bcv king.
  If you meant Maeve or Lilly then an elder bcv might indeed be able to wallop one of them.  If you meant mab or Titania then you are incorrect. The Woj list of things that might be able to take mab down lists a union of pre-stokerlypse bcv elders as one potential candidate. Another Woj questioning the validity of the stokerlypse if they could take mab down had him referencing their number at 20ish or 30ish ( I forget which). I would say that rules out one of them taking her out.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
@umbralux  Iirc we have no idea if there is anything like a bcv king.
Yes...and no.  While we don't have direct evidence, we do have Mavra paying homage to a noble of another court and, if they were signatories to the Accords, they almost certainly had a leader. 

If you meant Maeve or Lilly then an elder bcv might indeed be able to wallop one of them.  If you meant mab or Titania then you are incorrect.
There are many (or at least several) Queens of Faerie.  There's only one Mab and one Titania.   ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer