Author Topic: Real life guiding your game?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Real life guiding your game?
« on: October 28, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
I wanted to include some fun news stories for my players & let it help shape the world a bit and give them the chance to decide where to take the game without me needing to lead them quite as much towartds things. My original intent was to just pick odd stories from fark & such then just florida/dresden-ize them a bit

But then I decided to look for odd Florida news & was amused to find that  they really didn't take much tweaking to fit them into the dresdenverse, the majority of the changes were just moving it to a  different part of florida :P

has anyone else done something like this for their campaign?... is Florida as unique as fark makes it out to be?

Here's some news!
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/florida-goes-bump/wikis/recent-news

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Real life guiding your game?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
I set my game in 2006, so I feel a bit restricted about including "ripped from the headlines" plots in my adventures. Conversely, we set up Gavin Newsom (then mayor of San Francisco) as a White Court Vampire politician, but it is beginning to feel like a stale joke, especially since we haven't really done much with it.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
I set my game in 2006, so I feel a bit restricted about including "ripped from the headlines" plots in my adventures. Conversely, we set up Gavin Newsom (then mayor of San Francisco) as a White Court Vampire politician, but it is beginning to feel like a stale joke, especially since we haven't really done much with it.
We decided to go with modern day pre red court war & set things in a tvshow style south florida where 2-4 hour trips get treated like 20 minute drives :P like you see in shows like burn notice & nip/tuck.  So far it's been working out really well using such a huge area for the game.

Offline kenposan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »
is Florida as unique as fark makes it out to be?

not really, but it's like picking on Duke. It's a Fark thing. I've been begging for an Ohio tag for years, we are every bit is crazy as Fla.
Dark magic. It was fun and easy. Like Lego.