Author Topic: Cleaning Up The Stunt List  (Read 32038 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Up The Stunt List
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »
That's the thing.

If it's a defense stunt, then it's limited to one skill. If it's an armour stunt, then it can be universal.

I guess you preferred the old version.

Eh, there's no reason that the two versions can't coexist. I think I'll rename the new version though, and maybe I'll move the old version to Lore for flavour reasons.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
Might I recommend stealing the fluff/name of D&D3.5's alternate class feature for rogues and barbarians 'Spell Sense' for your +athletics version?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »
Name sounds good.

What's the fluff?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
Exposure to and training against spellcasters having developed a nearly preturnatural awareness of danger from magical attacks, the character can react to that danger sooner and more effectively.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »
Sounds good. Will edit.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:58 PM »
Lore:

Spell Resistance: Your extensive practical experience with hostile magic helps you mitigate its effects. You have an armour value of 1 against all stress originating from direct applications of magic.  This armour stacks with all other sources of armour that may be effective against a magical attack.

Athletics:

Spell Sense: Through exposure to and training against spellcasters you have developed a nearly preternatural awareness of danger from magical attacks. As such, you can react to that danger sooner and more effectively. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to defend against spellcasting (including enchanted items).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:30:47 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2011, 11:53:51 PM »
Spell Resistance could use a language clean-up and tweak.
'You have an armour value of 1 against all stress originating from direct applications of magic.  This armour stacks with all other sources of armour that may be effective against a magical attack.'

(there should probably also be similar if not identical effects available in Conviction and/or Endurance to represent passive resilience to magic, rather than taking steps to 'mitigate' the effects)
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »
I have received the impression that a fireball is identical to mundane fire once it has been cast. As such, passive resilience to magic strikes me as impossible without magic.

Whether this is true or not, I don't think it's worth the controversy to add such a stunt to the list.

Will use that rewording.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
I just thought of a new way to make Was That Supposed To Hurt? I think it's really promising.

Shrug It Off: You don't bother to dodge; you don't need to. When you are attacked in a physical conflict, you may choose to defend at an effective skill of Mediocre. If you do so, roll your Endurance skill and gain armour against that attack equal to the result. Armour from this stunt stacks with all other forms of armour.

I'm actually quite happy with this. If nobody shoots it down, I'll stick it on the list next to Was That Supposed To Hurt?

In other words, shoot this down if it bothers you.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »
I'd suggest replacing 'effective skill' with 'effort' (ie. treat the end result rather than the pre-roll & FP expenditure result as 0).
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2011, 12:56:07 AM »
I was going to do that...but I didn't want it to be even theoretically possible for this to increase your defence roll.

Eh, that was kind of a silly worry in retrospect. I'll do that.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2011, 03:47:55 AM »
I think effective skill makes more sense than effort not even ambushes reduce your entire roll to zero you have to leave in the luck and fate point modifiers. Its pretty weak as a stunt given that it is twice as easy to increase weapons rating as it is too increase armor but if you want to create a nurfed Endurance defense it works.

Oh I also realized that the replace the athletics dodge trapping stunts are probably a lot weaker than a stunt that gives athletics an attack function because weapons and fist are just an attack skill and a weakened defense skill so if you give athletics an attack skill you can bypass any offensive skill entirely and still have an epic movement skill and a better defense with your attacks and as athletics is your speed skill all said stunt will actually makes sense. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:06:53 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »
Good points.

Bah, I dunno. Skill, effort...maybe I'll just be vague. "Defends at Mediocre" would satisfy both readings.

And yes, attacking with Athletics is pretty powerful. One has to be careful with attack stunts, just as one does with defense stunts.

PS: Shrug It Off actually isn't just a nerf. It has the notable benefit of working against ambushes. And unlike other defense stunts, it never outright fails on you.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2011, 04:46:32 AM »
I think effective skill makes more sense than effort not even ambushes reduce your entire roll to zero you have to leave in the luck and fate point modifiers. Its pretty weak as a stunt given that it is twice as easy to increase weapons rating as it is too increase armor but if you want to create a nurfed Endurance defense it works.

A more accurate description might not be that you are 'reducing your entire roll to zero' but that you are changing the results of the roll.

weapons and fist are just an attack skill and a weakened defense skill

Both Weapons and Guns also serve as knowledge skills.
And Fists is arguably the weakest inherently-combat-relevant skill in the system, and as such, not a good comparison.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »
Alright, now for Fists stunts.

Competition Fighting actually looks alright to me. Not sure why it's purple. I guess maybe I should define what a real fight is? I like the idea that someone with this fight could have trouble when a competition match becomes too real. But I think that the current wording handles that...any suggestions?

Storm Of Punches ought to be a spray attack stunt. The zone attack thing was a bad idea, in retrospect. Should have been a power, and now it is.

New version:

Storm Of Punches: A great warrior fights as well against a thousand enemies as he does against one. You may make spray attacks with your Fists skill.