Author Topic: Cleaning Up The Stunt List  (Read 31779 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Up The Stunt List
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:13 PM »
Faith obviously can't stop a bullet without magic, but I don't see why it couldn't make it hard for an RCV to aim at you. I don't think that having Michael's faith affect everyone who was trying to kill him would be any more unrealistic than having it affect everyone within two metres.

About Sanction: Yeah, it definitely shouldn't apply to Powers. But that's not the only reason it bugs me.

What do y'all think of Sanction? Should I keep the old version? Maybe boost the bonus to +2 and make it not apply to Powers?

My personal inclination is to get rid of it, but I'm trying to be democratic.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2011, 03:56:57 AM »
Sanction: Yeah, getting a +2 for any old arbitrary but limited reason is peachy keen by the raw as a stunt.  It's slightly too broad in the old wording even limited to non-Power applications.  Try swapping "acting on behalf of that being" with "acting on explicit orders of that being".  Leaves less rationalization wiggle room.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2011, 05:33:47 AM »
Not according to the masquerade scene in Grave Peril, the repelling power of Michael's faith was basically limited to melee range when it came to driving creatures back, more than that and they just tended to shy away and beyond a certain point were not effected at all (otherwise the whole ballroom would have basically ground to a halt). Furthermore, faith being able to stop a bullet fired at say a 100 feet away is completely ridiculous.

The effects of Michael's faith can hardly be argued to be the only effects possible, whatever their potency.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
@The Mighty Buzzard: Alright, good idea. I guess I'll have two versions of Sanction on the new version of the list.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2011, 01:38:43 AM »
Alright, I'm gonna try and finish the first post tonight.

New Sanction:

Sanction: When acting on behalf of your beloved boss, your faith is strengthened. Pick a being. Add two to your Conviction skill when acting directly on behalf of that being. This bonus may not be used in concert with a supernatural power.

Reposting my rewrites of Do You Like It...

Do You Like It? I Made It Myself: A weapon you made yourself is a weapon that you know really well. When you wield weapons that you built yourself, your Craftsmanship skill complements whatever other skill you use to wield that weapon.

Do You Like It? I Made It Myself: Clever engineering can compensate for a lack of combat skill. When you take this stunt, pick a broad category of weapon. You may make weapons of this category with the special quality that you may wield them with your Craftsmanship skill. Such weapons will often include odd devices and unusual features that make their use very different from that of a normal weapon.

I wonder if it'd be a problem to have 2 stunts on the list with the same name.

Anyway, Scavenger looks alright upon rereading. I guess I'll leave it as is. It makes only a little bit of sense, but I figure that that's enough.

Purple Deceit stunts next post.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:04 AM »
Salesmanship: You know how to sell stuff. Choose Rapport or Deceit. Add two to that skill when using it to sell something.
Con Man: You make a living off of lies. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to get someone to give you money.

violate the "only +1 to attacks" rule and are too similar to one another. Also the first one is split between two skills, which I don't like. They become:

Con Man, Salesman, Same Difference: You know how to extract money from people, either through outright cons or through salesmanship. Add one to your Deceit skill when using it make social attacks aimed at making somebody give you money.

Data Manipulation: It's easy to fool someone when you have graphs to back you up. Add two to your Deceit skill when you have statistics to back up your lies.

violates the "only +1 to attacks" rule and is also generally better represented as a maneuver. Was going to ditch it, until I thought of running it as a social weaponry stunt. It becomes:

Data Manipulation: It's easy to fool someone when you have graphs to back you up. In your hands, charts and graphs are weapon 2 for Deceit attacks. There must be some sort of connection between the chart or graph and the attack, but it need not be a solid one.

Feint: They think thought they had you, but they thought wrong. You may use your Deceit skill to dodge physical attacks.

has issues that have been well documented. Was going to give it a prereq that allowed Deceit blocks in combat and a restriction, but I couldn't think of a good restriction. And I wasn't sure that you couldn't make blocks in combat with Deceit anyway. So I'm using a different prereq, one that suggests a restriction in itself. New version:

Feint: When it looks like you're going to go right, you go left. And vice versa. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to maneuver in physical combat.
Superior Feint: (Requires Feint) They thought they had you, but they thought wrong. You may use your Deceit skill to defend against the physical attacks of characters who have aspects that you placed on them with a Deceit maneuver.

One Big Lie: Tell a lie long enough and you begin to believe it. Pick a statement that isn't true. You get +2 to any roll made to convince someone that that statement is true.

violates the "only +1 to attacks" rule. So, it gets a small restriction:

One Big Lie: Tell a lie long enough and you begin to believe it. Pick a statement that isn't true. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to convince someone that that statement is true. Reduce the bonus provided by this stunt to one when it applies to a social or mental attack.

Wearing An Extremely Trustworthy Face: Some faces are just easy to trust, and as a shapeshifter you have access to many of those. Pick a form other than your natural one. As long as you are in that form and visible to your target, add two to your Deceit skill.

violates the "only +1 to attacks" rule and is also kind of munchkinish.

Founded Upon Lies: You are very good at turning innocuous lies into devastating arguments. Whenever you invoke or tag an aspect that you created with a Deceit manoeuvre, add two to your roll in addition to the normal benefits.

violates the "only +1 to attacks" rule. Also applies to too many skills. I don't especially like the inequality it introduces to the aspect system either, but that's just something I'm going to have to tolerate. New version:

Founded Upon Lies: You are very good at turning innocuous lies into devastating ones. Whenever you invoke or tag an aspect that you created with a Deceit maneuver to boost a Deceit roll, add one to your roll in addition to the normal benefits.

Defensive Lies: You can come up with a counterpoint to any point, as long as you don’t worry about honesty. You may use your Deceit skill, unmodified, to defend against everything in social combat.

should use Rapport as a basis. Becomes:

Defensive Lies: You can come up with a counterpoint to any point, as long as you don’t worry about honesty. You may use your Deceit skill for the social defense trapping of the Rapport skill.

Houdini: You could be found by the police standing next to a burned-down church with a handful of matches and a can of gasoline and still get away scott free. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to cover up or deny involvement in a crime.

violates the "only +1 to attacks" rule. More interesting as a defense stunt anyway. Becomes:

Houdini: You could be found by the police standing next to a burned-down church with a handful of matches and a can of gasoline and still get away scott free. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to defend against attempts to discern or prove your involvement in a crime.

Faustian Pact: Your job is to trick people into signing unfair contracts. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to convince someone to make a deal.

violates the "only +1 to attacks" rule. Also kinda lame. Gonna go with a social weaponry approach to this one. Becomes:

Faustian Pact: Your job is to trick people into signing unfair contracts. When you make a social attack with Deceit to convince someone to make a deal, you may treat a written copy of the deal as weapon 2.

"Honest" Lawyer: Okay, maybe they don’t exist. But most people would say that you are one, anyway. Add two to your Deceit skill when you are in a legal context.

violates the "only +1 to attacks" rule. More interesting as a trapping swap anyway. Becomes:

"Honest" Lawyer: Okay, maybe they don’t exist. But most people would say that you are one, anyway. Use your Deceit skill instead of your Scholarship skill to represent your legal knowledge.

I'm Your Friend: You are a very convincing fake friend. Add two to your Deceit skill when feigning friendliness or loyalty.
"Good Intentions": Everyone you meet is certain that you intend nothing but what is best for everyone. Add two to your Deceit skill when faking good intentions.

violate the "only +1 to attacks" rule. Also redundant. Becomes a maneuver bonus as follows:

"Good Intentions": Everyone you meet is certain that you intend nothing but what is best for everyone. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to create an aspect based off of feigned benevolence or friendship.

Alright, that's every purple stunt in the first post sorted. Any objections?

If not, I'll rewrite that first post and reword the blue stunts.

But first, I need to deal with the green stunts.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:57:11 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2011, 05:08:41 AM »
Boosted Hexes: You don’t get along with technology at all. Even compared to other wizards. All technology is treated as though it were two steps lower on the hexing table.

Force Of Will: Emotional manipulation isn't just a trick; it's a direct exercise of your will. Use your Conviction skill instead of your Deceit skill with your Incite Emotion power.

Innovation Trumps Experience: Teaching yourself sorcery with a background in engineering means not using the “traditional" Crafting methods. The strength ratings of the enchanted items that you create are based off of your Craftsmanship skill.

Force Of Will would be better as a power, so I'm taking it off the list.

The other two are fine. Maybe I'll slap an asterisk on one of them or something.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »
No comments?

Should I just assume that everything is perfect?

Anyway, in the meantime, I'll deal with the green stunts from the latter three posts.

Focused Fallout: Your spells are hard on the environment, but they're harder on the guys that you hit with them. When you take fallout as a consequence of casting a spell with insufficient control, reduce the power of the spell by two shifts less.

Touch Of Emotion: Mental attack, physical attack, what's the difference? You may use your Fists skill for your Incite Emotion power.

Realistic Conjuration: You are a master of conjuration, and the objects you create are far more detailed than normal. Add 2 to the difficulty of any attempts to notice that the objects you create through conjuration are not real.

Improved Ward Creation: You know a few shortcuts when it comes to ward creation. Choose one of the optional improvements that can be applied to a ward. Reduce the cost to apply that improvement to wards you create by 2.

Transparent Veils: You have a knack for making a good veil. Veils you create do not impede outward visibility at all.

Lasting Portals: The portals you create are solid and durable. You may increase the duration of portals you create by two steps without increasing the complexity of the spell.

Spellsinger: Music is magic, at least for you. You may use your Performance skill for spellcasting control.

Song Of Emotion: Your art has a real impact on the emotions of those who hear it. You may use your Performance skill for the Incite Emotion power.

Scientist, Not Wizard: To you, magic is just an obscure branch of science where humanity’s understanding is lacking. Pick a field of thaumaturgy other than crafting. You may use your Scholarship skill to determine the base complexity of the rituals you perform within that field.

Song of Emotion and Touch of Emotion are gonna go.

Not sure about Spellsinger.

The others will just be asterisked.

Thoughts?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »
So...my suggested changes were beautiful and perfect.

Or perhaps people just stopped paying attention. Given that I missed a stunt and nobody noticed, probably the second.

Wearing An Extremely Trustworthy Face: Some faces are just easy to trust, and as a shapeshifter you have access to many of those. Pick a form other than your natural one. As long as you are in that form and visible to your target, add two to your Deceit skill.

becomes

Wearing An Extremely Trustworthy Face: It's hard to disbelieve what those closest to you tell you. While successfully impersonating someone, your Deceit attacks inflict 2 additional stress to that someone's close associates.

Next post will be the same as the first master list post, except that it'll include all the changes I've made so far.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2011, 04:39:23 AM »
Alertness:   

Attention!: You have been trained to follow orders instantly in combat. When in a physical conflict, you may replace your initiative with that of a friendly character with this stunt.
The Advantage Of Familiarity: There are benefits to knowing a place really well. Pick a location or a small neighbourhood. Add two to any Alertness roll made to notice or investigate something unusual in this area.
Sentry: You have the ability to wait, devoting your full effort to watchfulness, for hours on end. Add two to your Alertness skill as long as you stand and watch.
Notice Tell: Your keen senses allow you to pick up on the subtle clues that indicate when a person is lying. You may use your Alertness skill to defend against Deceit-based maneuvers and attacks.
Master of the Tell: (Requires Notice Tell) Long practice has made you incomparably good at noticing the mannerisms that accompany deception. Add two to your Alertness skill when using it to defend against Deceit-based maneuvers and attacks.
Primitive Tracker: Your methods of tracking are simple and intuitive, but nonetheless effective. Use your Alertness skill for the Tracking trapping of Survival.
Inspector: Short-term and long term inspection of something are essentially the same thing. You may use your Alertness skill for the Examination trapping of Investigation.
Notice the Unseen: You have an uncanny knack for noticing things that are magically hidden. Add three to your Alertness skill when using it to notice things that are either invisible or veiled.

Athletics:    

War Mount: You work together with your rider in order to defend yourselves. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it for defense while being ridden.
Protector: You are an expert at the protection of others. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to create a block to protect another character.
Sportsman: Sports are your life. Pick a sport. You may use Athletics with a +2 bonus to play that sport.
Ball Toss: Throwing a basketball isn't very different from throwing a knife. Use Athletics to wield thrown weapons. You do not get any bonus from speed powers for these attacks.
Reading the Line of Fire: You can tell where the bullets will go before the trigger is pulled. Increase your athletics skill by 2 when using it to dodge gunfire.

I Grew Up Doing This: You are very familiar with a certain environment, and you find it easy to navigate its obstacles. Pick an environment. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to bypass barriers in that environment.
Excellent Mount: You are very good at carrying other people. Add two to your Athletics skill while being ridden.
Highly Mobile: You move abnormally easily, and you find it easy to do other things while moving. You may move one zone each turn as a supplemental action without taking the normal -1 penalty.
Evasion: Like the members of certain character classes from Dungeons And Dragons (version 3.5), you have an amazing ability to remain unharmed when caught within the area of effect of an explosion. Add two to your Athletics-based defense rolls against area attacks.
Unhindered Defenses: Armour and weapons are wonderful things, but they tend to slow a fellow down. So you don't carry weapons or wear armour. Add two to your Athletics defense rolls as long as you are unarmed and unarmoured.
Land On Your Feet: Like a cat, you are able to fall from great heights without great harm. When making an Athletics roll to resist falling damage, do not halve the result before converting it to armour.
Spring-Heeled: Maybe you don't actually have springs in your heels, but it sure looks as though you do. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to jump.
Fight By Jumping: (Requires Spring-Heeled) It is normally a very bad idea to jump up high while fighting, but you make it work. Increase your Athletics skill by a further two when making a jump-based maneuver in combat, but all aspects created this way are automatically fragile.
Out Of Reach: (Requires Fight By Jumping) It isn't easy to hit a guy who's five feet above your head. So long as you possess an aspect created through Fight By Jumping, add two to your defense rolls against melee attacks.
The §$%& Bastard Will Not Escape: Nobody gets away from you. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to chase someone.

Burglary:

Security Expert: Knowing how to case a place means that you know how to protect a place against other people with the same idea. You may use your Burglary skill to perform blocks blocking the future use of Burglary against the same target as long as you have a chance to correct the security flaws that you notice.
Five-Fingered Discount: Why buy what you can steal? You may use your Burglary skill instead of your Resources skill to “buy” things. Everything “bought” this way has the aspect “Stolen Property”. The difficulty of an attempt to “buy” something with Burglary may or may not be the same as the difficulty of an attempt to buy that same thing with Resources, at the GM's discretion. The time required may also vary.
Specialized Criminal: Thieves have specialties, just like scientists. Pick a type of thing that can be burgled (eg. banks, apartments). Add two to your Burglary skill when using it against that type of thing.
I Lupin!: Somehow, you can always pull of a stroke of larcenous brilliance when it really counts. Once per scene, you may spend a Fate Point in order to get a +4 bonus to a Burglary roll.
Burglar's Signature: Some aspect of your character makes you an expert thief. Pick one of your aspects. Add two to the result of any Burglary roll that you invoke that aspect on.

Contacts:

Absolute Authority: You are good at being in charge. Add two to your Contacts skill as long as you are in a position of authority over those you intend to contact.
Friends Everywhere: Your network of contacts extends around the world. You may ignore up to two points worth of penalties to your Contacts skill due to an unfamiliar area.
Chain of Command: You are a soldier, and other soldiers answer to you. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it to deal with other soldiers.
The Boss: People do what you say. Add a new trapping to Contacts, called Employment. You may use this trapping to find obedient subordinates in a particular category, chosen when you take this stunt.
Minions: (Requires The Boss) You have some loyal henchmen. You may use your Contacts to declare that they are present at any time, with a difficulty determined by the situation and the quality of your henchmen.
My Buddy Has One Of Those: Your friends are very willing to let you borrow whatever you need. You may use your Contacts skill instead of your Resources skill to “buy” things. Everything “bought” this way has the aspect “Not Actually Mine”. The difficulty of an attempt to “buy” something with Contacts may or may not be the same as the difficulty of an attempt to buy that same thing with Resources, at the GM's discretion. The time required may also vary.
I'm Looking For Mr Brown: You are extremely good at tracking people down. Increase your Contacts skill by two when using it to find someone. In addition, all attempts to find someone with Contacts are one time increment faster.
On The Watch: (Requires Ear To The Ground) There’s something that you’re on the watch for, and you have a network of people who will tell you if it happens. The difficulty of any Getting The Tip-Off roll that you make related to that topic is reduced by four. (This doesn’t stack with Ear To The Ground).
Member: You are a member of an organization. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it to contact other members of that organization. The situations in which this will be useful depend heavily on the organization.
Too Cool for School: All the kids wanna be just like you. Add two to all Contacts rolls when dealing with young adults between high school and middle school age.
Networking: Networking is an important skill for a businessman, and you have it. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it in a corporate context.
Salesman's Network: All good salesmen build up a network of satisfied customers over time. Pick a type of product. Add two to your Contacts skill when looking for or dealing with makers, sellers, or notable consumers of that type of product.
Network of Informants: You know people who know things about the things that you want to know things about. Pick a subject. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it to Gather Information or Get The Tip Off about that subject.

Conviction:

Sermonize: Your speeches are more about passion than presentation. Add a Sermonize trapping to your Conviction skill. This trapping can be used to speak about moral, ethical, and religious issues.
Righteous: You are nearly unstoppable when you’re doing what’s right. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it with your Righteousness power.
Trust The Leader: Your faith in your boss, be it the archangel Uriel or Colonel Carrington, is absolute. Pick a being. You may take two additional mild social or mental consequences against attempts to make you think or act against that being.
Fire And Brimstone: Threatening someone's body isn't really your style. You prefer to threaten the soul. You may use Conviction instead of Intimidation when threatening someone on a spiritual level.
Stubborn Faith:  You cling to your beliefs with amazing determination. You may take two additional minor consequences against attempts to make you act directly against the principles of your faith.
Shield Of Faith: Your faith protects you from harm, repelling those evil beings that cannot tolerate its power. You may use your Conviction skill instead of your Athletics skill to defend against attacks from characters that have catches related to faith.
Religious Contacts: You are well loved for your piety. You may use your Conviction skill instead of your Contacts skill when dealing with people who have centred their lives around the same religion as you.
Shield Of Dogma: Words are meaningless against your fanatical will. You may use your Conviction skill for the social defence trapping of Rapport.
Threshold Guardian: Your very presence is a shield against the forces of evil. Add three to your Conviction skill when using it in conjunction with the Bless This House power.
Boosted Hexes: You don’t get along with technology at all. Even compared to other wizards. All technology is treated as though it were two steps lower on the hexing table.
You Do Not Want To See My Soul: Your soul has a truly profound effect on those who see it. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it to make mental attacks in a Soulgaze.
Closer To God: For whatever reason, God guides you just a little more carefully than is normal. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it with your Guide My Hand power.
Lay On Hands: Faith healing actually works. At least, it does for you. Use your Conviction skill instead of your Scholarship skill for medical treatment.
Actual Priest: You are an actual priest, which means that you need to know some religious doctrine. Use your Conviction skill to determine your religious knowledge.

Craftsmanship:

Percussive Maintenance: Sometimes a malfunctioning gadget just needs a good swift kick. You may spend a fate point to make any repair attempt in one exchange. Treat all such repairs as Jury-Rigged repairs.
Do You Like It? I Made It Myself: A weapon you made yourself is a weapon that you know really well. When you wield weapons that you built yourself, your Craftsmanship skill complements whatever other skill you use to wield that weapon.
Personalized Weaponry Engineering: Clever engineering can compensate for a lack of combat skill. When you take this stunt, pick a broad category of weapon. You may make weapons of this category with the special quality that you may wield them with your Craftsmanship skill. Such weapons will often include odd devices and unusual features that make their use very different from that of a normal weapon.
[/color]From Another Time: You are intimately familiar with the technology of a time other than the present. Choose a time period other than the present day. Add two to your Craftsmanship skill when dealing with stuff from that time period.
Innovation Trumps Experience: Teaching yourself sorcery with a background in engineering means not using the “traditional" Crafting methods. The strength ratings of the enchanted items that you create are based off of your Craftsmanship skill.
Bunker Builder: You know how to make effective fortifications. Given time, you may fortify a zone with your Craftsmanship skill. Your Craftsmanship roll than functions as a block against entry to that zone and ranged attacks into it. Unlike most blocks, fortification is not removed as soon as it is defeated unless the action that defeated it was intended specifically to remove the fortification.
Bricoleur: You are skilled at improvising when making, breaking, or repairing something.  All of your Craftsmanship declarations and assessments made in the art of Bricolage ("to make creative and resourceful use of whatever materials are at hand (regardless of their original purpose)") receive a one shift bonus.
Skilled Bricoleur: (Requires Bricoleur) Your creativity at improvising is unparalleled; You take no penalty for having inadequate tools and materials except in extreme circumstances.
Master Bricoleur: (Requires Skilled Bricoleur) Your skill and resourcefulness are unparalleled.  Your creations are cobbled together two time increments faster than normal, and last two time increments longer than they would otherwise.

Big Pocking Wrench: You can do a lot as long as you have your trusty giant wrench on hand. Add two to your Craftsmanship skill when using it to fix or break something with a large wrench.
Scavenger: You are an expert in the art of making things quickly out of cannibalized parts. If as part of a Craftsmanship roll made to build or fix something you take apart an object that contains parts appropriate to the thing you are building or fixing, you may make that Craftsmanship roll two time increments faster.
Sneaky Bastard: You are an expert in the subtle art of booby-trapping an area. If given time to prepare a location, you may create traps in that location. Activating a trap is an attack that uses your Craftsmanship skill, with a weapon rating that depends on what the trap consists of. Traps may be activated at any distance that seems reasonable, and they do not necessarily have to be single-use.

Deceit:

Feint: When it looks like you're going to go right, you go left. And vice versa. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to maneuver in physical combat.
Superior Feint: (Requires Feint) They thought they had you, but they thought wrong. You may use your Deceit skill to defend against the physical attacks of characters who have aspects that you placed on them with a Deceit maneuver.
Data Manipulation: It's easy to fool someone when you have graphs to back you up. In your hands, charts and graphs are weapon 2 for Deceit attacks. There must be some sort of connection between the chart or graph and the attack, but it need not be a solid one.
One Big Lie: Tell a lie long enough and you begin to believe it. Pick a statement that isn't true. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to convince someone that that statement is true. Reduce the bonus provided by this stunt to one when it applies to a social or mental attack.
Shield of Lies: Your lies run so deep that you almost believe them yourself. You may use your Deceit skill to determine your social stress track.
Impenetrable Bluff: You can bluff like a poker pro. Maybe you are a poker pro. Increase your Deceit skill by two when using it to bluff.
It's Just Creative Lying: Really, acting is just an advanced form of lying. You may use Deceit, rather than Performance, for the Playing to an Audience trapping, but only when acting.
The Appearance Of Wealth: You seem like a wealthy and powerful person, regardless of the reality. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Resources skill for the Money Talks trapping.

Wearing An Extremely Trustworthy Face: It's hard to disbelieve what those closest to you tell you. While successfully impersonating someone, your Deceit attacks inflict two additional stress to that someone's close associates.
Founded Upon Lies: You are very good at turning innocuous lies into devastating ones. Whenever you invoke or tag an aspect that you created with a Deceit maneuver to boost a Deceit roll, add one to your roll in addition to the normal benefits.
Defensive Lies: You can come up with a counterpoint to any point, as long as you don’t worry about honesty. You may use your Deceit skill for the social defense trapping of the Rapport skill.
Houdini: You could be found by the police standing next to a burned-down church with a handful of matches and a can of gasoline and still get away scott free. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to defend against attempts to discern or prove your involvement in a crime.
Faustian Pact: Your job is to trick people into signing unfair contracts. When you make a social attack with Deceit to convince someone to make a deal, you may treat a written copy of the deal as weapon 2.
Illusion Of Grandeur: Making a good first impression is all about misrepresenting yourself. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Rapport skill to make a good first impression.
"Honest" Lawyer: Okay, maybe they don’t exist. But most people would say that you are one, anyway. Use your Deceit skill instead of your Scholarship skill to represent your legal knowledge.
Master Manipulator: You can treat other people like chess pieces and make it work. Add one to your Deceit skill when using it to make an attack designed to trick your target into following a preset plan of yours.
"Good Intentions": Everyone you meet is certain that you intend nothing but what is best for everyone. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to create an aspect based off of feigned benevolence or friendship.
Dishonest Persuasion: If being charming doesn't make people do what you want them to do, lie your ass off. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Rapport skill in order to make social attacks based off of persuasion.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »
I don't have much to add here, save that it's looking very good so far.  Just wanted to thank you for putting all the effort in.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »
Thanks and you're welcome.

If you ever happen to use something from here, I'd be happy to hear how it goes.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2011, 04:33:41 AM »
Cleaned up formatting, adjusted wording, made a few final adjustments to a few stunts.

Semi-significant changes were made to Scavenger, Actual Priest, The Advantage Of Familiarity, Sneaky Bastard, the Bricoleur tree, and I'm Looking For Mr Brown.

Considered changing Sportsman meaningfully, ultimately decided against it.

Objections welcome.

Alertness:   

Attention!: You have been trained to follow orders instantly in combat. When in a physical conflict, you may replace your initiative with that of a friendly character with this stunt.
The Advantage Of Familiarity: There are benefits to knowing a place really well. Pick a location or a small neighbourhood. Add two to your Alertness skill while you are in this area.
Sentry: You have the ability to wait, devoting your full effort to watchfulness, for hours on end. Add two to your Alertness skill as long as you stand and watch.
Notice Tell: Your keen senses allow you to pick up on the subtle clues that indicate when a person is lying. You may use your Alertness skill to defend against Deceit-based maneuvers and attacks.
Master of the Tell: (Requires Notice Tell) Long practice has made you incomparably good at noticing the mannerisms that accompany deception. Add two to your Alertness skill when using it to defend against Deceit-based maneuvers and attacks.
Primitive Tracker: Your methods of tracking are simple and intuitive, but nonetheless effective. Use your Alertness skill for the Tracking trapping of Survival.
Inspector: Short-term and long term inspection of something are essentially the same thing. You may use your Alertness skill for the Examination trapping of Investigation.
Notice the Unseen: You have an uncanny knack for noticing things that are magically hidden. Add three to your Alertness skill when using it to notice things that are either invisible or veiled.

Athletics:    

War Mount: You work together with your rider in order to defend yourselves. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it for defense while being ridden.
Protector: You are an expert at the protection of others. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to create a block to protect another character.
Sportsman: Sports are your life. Pick a sport. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to play that sport.
Ball Toss: Throwing a basketball isn't very different from throwing a knife. You may use your Athletics skill to wield thrown weapons. You do not get any bonus from speed powers for these attacks.
Reading the Line of Fire: You can tell where the bullets will go before the trigger is pulled. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to dodge gunfire.
I Grew Up Doing This: You are very familiar with a certain environment, and you find it easy to navigate its obstacles. Pick an environment. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to bypass barriers in that environment.
Highly Mobile: You move abnormally easily, and you find it easy to do other things while moving. You may move one zone each turn as a supplemental action without taking the normal -1 penalty.
Evasion: Like the members of certain character classes from Dungeons And Dragons (version 3.5), you have an amazing ability to remain unharmed when caught within the area of effect of an explosion. Add two to your Athletics-based defense rolls against area attacks.
Unhindered Defenses: Armour and weapons are wonderful things, but they tend to slow a fellow down. So you don't carry weapons or wear armour. Add two to your Athletics defense rolls as long as you are unarmed and unarmoured.
Land On Your Feet: Like a cat, you are able to fall from great heights without great harm. When making an Athletics roll to resist falling damage, do not halve the result before converting it to armour.
Spring-Heeled: Maybe you don't actually have springs in your heels, but it sure looks as though you do. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to jump.
Fight By Jumping: (Requires Spring-Heeled) It is normally a very bad idea to jump up high while fighting, but you make it work. Increase your Athletics skill by a further two when making a jump-based maneuver in combat, but all aspects created this way are automatically fragile.
Out Of Reach: (Requires Fight By Jumping) It isn't easy to hit a guy who's five feet above your head. So long as you possess an aspect created through Fight By Jumping, add two to your defense rolls against melee attacks.
The §$%& Bastard Will Not Escape: Nobody gets away from you. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to chase someone.

Burglary:

Security Expert: Knowing how to case a place means that you know how to protect a place against other people with the same idea. You may use your Burglary skill to perform blocks blocking the future use of Burglary against the same target as long as you have a chance to correct the security flaws that you notice.
Five-Fingered Discount: Why buy what you can steal? You may use your Burglary skill instead of your Resources skill to “buy” things. Everything “bought” this way has the aspect “Stolen Property”. The difficulty of an attempt to “buy” something with Burglary may or may not be the same as the difficulty of an attempt to buy that same thing with Resources, at the GM's discretion. The time required may also vary.
Specialized Criminal: Thieves have specialties, just like scientists. Pick a type of thing that can be burgled (eg. banks, apartments). Add two to your Burglary skill when using it against that type of thing.
I Lupin!: Somehow, you can always pull of a stroke of larcenous brilliance when it really counts. Once per scene, you may spend a Fate Point in order to get a +4 bonus to a Burglary roll.
Burglar's Signature: Some aspect of your character makes you an expert thief. Pick one of your aspects. Add two to the result of any Burglary roll that you invoke that aspect on.

Contacts:

Absolute Authority: You are good at being in charge. Add two to your Contacts skill as long as you are in a position of authority over those you intend to contact.
Friends Everywhere: Your network of contacts extends around the world. You may ignore up to two points worth of penalties to your Contacts skill due to an unfamiliar area.
Chain of Command: You are a soldier, and other soldiers answer to you. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it to deal with other soldiers.
The Boss: People do what you say. Add a new trapping to your Contacts skill, called Employment. You may use this trapping to find obedient subordinates in a particular category, chosen when you take this stunt.
Minions: (Requires The Boss) You have some loyal henchmen. You may use your Contacts skill to Declare that they are present, with a difficulty determined by the situation and the quality of your henchmen.
My Buddy Has One Of Those: Your friends are very willing to let you borrow whatever you need. You may use your Contacts skill instead of your Resources skill to “buy” things. Everything “bought” this way has the aspect “Not Actually Mine”. The difficulty of an attempt to “buy” something with Contacts may or may not be the same as the difficulty of an attempt to buy that same thing with Resources, at the GM's discretion. The time required may also vary.
I'm Looking For Mr Brown: You are extremely good at tracking people down. When trying to find someone with your Contacts skill, add two to your Contacts skill and make the relevant rolls one time increment faster.
On The Watch: (Requires Ear To The Ground) There’s something that you’re on the watch for, and you have a network of people who will tell you if it happens. The difficulty of any Getting The Tip-Off roll that you make related to that topic is reduced by four. (This doesn’t stack with Ear To The Ground).
Member: You are a member of an organization. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it to contact other members of that organization. The situations in which this will be useful depend heavily on the organization.
Too Cool for School: All the kids wanna be just like you. Add two to your Contacts skill when dealing with young adults between high school and middle school age.
Networking: Networking is an important skill for a businessman, and you have it. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it in a corporate context.
Salesman's Network: All good salesmen build up a network of satisfied customers over time. Pick a type of product. Add two to your Contacts skill when looking for or dealing with makers, sellers, or notable consumers of that type of product.
Network of Informants: You know people who know things about the things that you want to know things about. Pick a subject. Add two to your Contacts skill when using it to Gather Information or Get The Tip Off about that subject.

Conviction:

Sermonize: Your speeches are more about passion than presentation. Add a Sermonize trapping to your Conviction skill. This trapping can be used to speak about moral, ethical, and religious issues.
Righteous:* You are nearly unstoppable when you’re doing what’s right. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it with your Righteousness power.
Trust The Leader: Your faith in your boss, be it the archangel Uriel or Colonel Carrington, is absolute. Pick a being. You may take two additional mild social or mental consequences against attempts to make you think or act against that being.
Fire And Brimstone: Threatening someone's body isn't really your style. You prefer to threaten the soul. You may use Conviction instead of Intimidation when threatening someone on a spiritual level.
Stubborn Faith:  You cling to your beliefs with amazing determination. You may take two additional minor consequences against attempts to make you act directly against the principles of your faith.
Shield Of Faith: Your faith protects you from harm, repelling those evil beings that cannot tolerate its power. You may use your Conviction skill instead of your Athletics skill to defend against attacks from characters that have catches related to faith.
Religious Contacts: You are well loved for your piety. You may use your Conviction skill instead of your Contacts skill when dealing with people who have centred their lives around the same religion as you.
Shield Of Dogma: Words are meaningless against your fanatical will. You may use your Conviction skill for the social defence trapping of Rapport.
Threshold Guardian:* Your very presence is a shield against the forces of evil. Add three to your Conviction skill when using it in conjunction with the Bless This House power.
Boosted Hexes: You don’t get along with technology at all. Even compared to other wizards. All technology is treated as though it were two steps lower on the hexing table.*
You Do Not Want To See My Soul: Your soul has a truly profound effect on those who see it. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it to make mental attacks in a Soulgaze.
Closer To God: For whatever reason, God guides you just a little more carefully than is normal. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it with your Guide My Hand power.
Lay On Hands: Faith healing actually works. At least, it does for you. Use your Conviction skill instead of your Scholarship skill for medical treatment.
Sunday School: Being religious means knowing about religion. Use your Conviction skill to determine your religious knowledge.

Craftsmanship:

Percussive Maintenance: Sometimes a malfunctioning gadget just needs a good swift kick. You may spend a fate point to make any repair attempt in one exchange. Treat all such repairs as Jury-Rigged repairs.
Personalized Weaponry Engineering: Clever engineering can compensate for a lack of combat skill. When you take this stunt, pick a broad category of weapon. You may make weapons of this category with the special quality that you may wield them with your Craftsmanship skill. Such weapons will often include odd devices and unusual features that make their use very different from that of a normal weapon.
From Another Time: You are intimately familiar with the technology of a time other than the present. Choose a time period other than the present day. Add two to your Craftsmanship skill when dealing with stuff from that time period.
Bunker Builder: You know how to make effective fortifications. Given time, you may fortify a zone with your Craftsmanship skill. Your Craftsmanship roll than functions as a block against entry to that zone and ranged attacks into it.
Bricoleur: You are skilled at improvising when making, breaking, or repairing something.  Add one to your Craftsmanship skill when making Declarations and Assessments in the art of Bricolage ("to make creative and resourceful use of whatever materials are at hand (regardless of their original purpose)").
Skilled Bricoleur: (Requires Bricoleur) Your creativity at improvising is unparalleled. You may ignore up to two points of penalties to your Craftsmanship skill due to insufficient tools or materials.
Master Bricoleur: (Requires Skilled Bricoleur) Your skill and resourcefulness are unparalleled. When you engage in the art of Bricolage, your creations are cobbled together two time increments faster than normal and last two time increments longer than they would otherwise.
Big Pocking Wrench: You can do a lot as long as you have your trusty giant wrench on hand. Add two to your Craftsmanship skill when using it to fix or break something with a large wrench.
Scavenger: There is an art to making things quickly out of cannibalized parts. You find it easy, because the people who made the thing you took apart did most of the work. If as part of a Craftsmanship roll made to build or fix something you take apart an object that contains parts appropriate to the thing you are building or fixing, you may make that Craftsmanship roll two time increments faster.
Sneaky Bastard: You are an expert in the subtle art of booby-trapping an area. If given time to prepare a location, you may create traps in that location. When in an area that you have booby-trapped, you may make physical attacks with your Craftsmanship skill. The weapon ratings and ranges of these attacks depend upon the traps used to make them.

Deceit:

Shield of Lies: Your lies run so deep that you almost believe them yourself. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Presence skill to determine the length of your social stress track.
Impenetrable Bluff: You can bluff like a poker pro. Maybe you are a poker pro. Increase your Deceit skill by two when using it to bluff.
It's Just Creative Lying: Really, acting is just an advanced form of lying. You may your Deceit skill for the Playing To An Audience trapping of the Performance skill when acting.
The Appearance Of Wealth: You seem like a wealthy and powerful person, regardless of the reality. You may use your Deceit skill for the Money Talks trapping of the Resources skill.
Wearing An Extremely Trustworthy Face: It's hard to disbelieve what those closest to you tell you. While successfully impersonating someone, your Deceit attacks inflict two additional stress to that someone's close associates.
Illusion Of Grandeur: Making a good first impression is all about misrepresenting yourself. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Rapport skill to make a good first impression.
Master Manipulator: You can treat other people like chess pieces and make it work. Add one to your Deceit skill when using it to make an attack designed to trick your target into following a preset plan of yours.
Dishonest Persuasion: If being charming doesn't make people do what you want them to do, lie your ass off. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Rapport skill to make social attacks based off of persuasion.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:44:41 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2011, 05:37:53 AM »
Alright then, the first post is almost done.

But in the interests of usability, I'd like to tag stunts that are special in some way.

Stunts that interact with powers will be marked with * so that people who dislike that sort of thing can avoid them.

Stunts that are limited in effect because of the decision to limit social combat stunts as heavily as physical combat stunts will be marked with ** so that people using different rules know to juice them up.

Stunts that could also exist in another skill will be marked with (A similar stunt could exist in SKILL.)

That's what the next post will be about.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
Alertness:   

The Advantage Of Familiarity: There are benefits to knowing a place really well. Pick a location or a small neighbourhood. Add two to your Alertness skill while you are in this area.
Primitive Tracker: Your methods of tracking are simple and intuitive, but nonetheless effective. You may use your Alertness skill for the Tracking trapping of Survival.

Athletics:    

Protector: You are an expert at the protection of others. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to create a block to protect another character. (A similar stunt could exist in many other skills.)
Sportsman: Sports are your life. Pick a sport. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to play that sport.
Ball Toss: Throwing a basketball isn't very different from throwing a knife. You may use your Athletics skill to wield thrown weapons. You do not get any bonus from speed powers for these attacks.
Reading the Line of Fire: You can tell where the bullets will go before the trigger is pulled. Add two to your Athletics skill when using it to dodge gunfire.

Burglary:

Contacts:

The Boss: People do what you say. Add a new trapping to your Contacts skill, called Employment. You may use this trapping to find obedient subordinates in a particular category, chosen when you take this stunt. (Similar stunts could exist in Presence and Resources.)
Minions: (Requires The Boss) You have some loyal henchmen. You may use your Contacts skill to Declare that they are present, with a difficulty determined by the situation and the quality of your henchmen. (Similar stunts could exist in Presence and Resources.)
I'm Looking For Mr Brown: You are extremely good at tracking people down. When trying to find someone with your Contacts skill, add two to your Contacts skill and make the relevant rolls one time increment faster.
Too Cool for School: All the kids wanna be just like you. Add two to your Contacts skill when dealing with young adults between high school and middle school age.

Conviction:

Righteous: You are nearly unstoppable when you’re doing what’s right. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it with your Righteousness power.*
Threshold Guardian: Your very presence is a shield against the forces of evil. Add three to your Conviction skill when using it in conjunction with the Bless This House power.*
Boosted Hexes: You don’t get along with technology at all. Even compared to other wizards. All technology is treated as though it were two steps lower on the hexing table.*
You Do Not Want To See My Soul: Your soul has a truly profound effect on those who see it. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it to make mental attacks in a Soulgaze.*
Closer To God: For whatever reason, God guides you just a little more carefully than is normal. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it with your Guide My Hand power.*
Sunday School: Being religious means knowing about religion. Use your Conviction skill to determine your religious knowledge.

Craftsmanship:

From Another Time: You are intimately familiar with the technology of a time other than the present. Choose a time period other than the present day. Add two to your Craftsmanship skill when dealing with stuff from that time period.
Innovation Trumps Experience: Teaching yourself sorcery with a background in engineering means not using the “traditional" Crafting methods. The strength ratings of the enchanted items that you create are based off of your Craftsmanship skill.*
Bunker Builder: You know how to make effective fortifications. Given time, you may fortify a zone with your Craftsmanship skill. Your Craftsmanship roll than functions as a block against entry to that zone and ranged attacks into it.
Bricoleur: You are skilled at improvising when making, breaking, or repairing something.  Add one to your Craftsmanship skill when making Declarations and Assessments in the art of Bricolage ("to make creative and resourceful use of whatever materials are at hand (regardless of their original purpose)").
Skilled Bricoleur: (Requires Bricoleur) Your creativity at improvising is unparalleled. You may ignore up to two points of penalties to your Craftsmanship skill due to insufficient tools or materials.
Master Bricoleur: (Requires Skilled Bricoleur) Your skill and resourcefulness are unparalleled. When you engage in the art of Bricolage, your creations are cobbled together two time increments faster than normal and last two time increments longer than they would otherwise.
Scavenger: There is an art to making things quickly out of cannibalized parts. You find it easy, because the people who made the thing you took apart did most of the work. If as part of a Craftsmanship roll made to build or fix something you take apart an object that contains parts appropriate to the thing you are building or fixing, you may make that Craftsmanship roll two time increments faster.
Sneaky Bastard: You are an expert in the subtle art of booby-trapping an area. If given time to prepare a location, you may create traps in that location. When in an area that you have booby-trapped, you may make physical attacks with your Craftsmanship skill. The weapon ratings and ranges of these attacks depend upon the traps used to make them.

Deceit:

Data Manipulation: It's easy to fool someone when you have graphs to back you up. In your hands, charts and graphs are weapon 2 for Deceit attacks. There must be some sort of connection between the chart or graph and the attack, but it need not be a solid one.**
One Big Lie: Tell a lie long enough and you begin to believe it. Pick a statement that isn't true. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to convince someone that that statement is true. Reduce the bonus provided by this stunt to one when it applies to a social or mental attack.**
Shield of Lies: Your lies run so deep that you almost believe them yourself. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Presence skill to determine the length of your social stress track.
It's Just Creative Lying: Really, acting is just an advanced form of lying. You may your Deceit skill for the Playing To An Audience trapping of the Performance skill when acting.
The Appearance Of Wealth: You seem like a wealthy and powerful person, regardless of the reality. You may use your Deceit skill for the Money Talks trapping of the Resources skill.
Wearing An Extremely Trustworthy Face: It's hard to disbelieve what those closest to you tell you. While successfully impersonating someone, your Deceit attacks inflict two additional stress to that someone's close associates.**
Founded Upon Lies: You are very good at turning innocuous lies into devastating ones. Whenever you invoke or tag an aspect that you created with a Deceit maneuver to boost a Deceit roll, add one to your roll in addition to the normal benefits.**
Houdini: You could be found by the police standing next to a burned-down church with a handful of matches and a can of gasoline and still get away scott free. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to defend against attempts to discern or prove your involvement in a crime.**
Faustian Pact: Your job is to trick people into signing unfair contracts. When you make a social attack with Deceit to convince someone to make a deal, you may treat a written copy of the deal as weapon 2.**
Master Manipulator: You can treat other people like chess pieces and make it work. Add one to your Deceit skill when using it to make an attack designed to trick your target into following a preset plan of yours.**
"Good Intentions": Everyone you meet is certain that you intend nothing but what is best for everyone. Add two to your Deceit skill when using it to make a maneuver or Declaration based off of feigned benevolence or friendship.**
Dishonest Persuasion: If being charming doesn't make people do what you want them to do, lie your ass off. You may use your Deceit skill instead of your Rapport skill to make social attacks based off of persuasion.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:14:16 PM by Sanctaphrax »