Author Topic: Thaumaturgical Ritual Durations...  (Read 1171 times)

Offline jait

• Participant
    • View Profile
Thaumaturgical Ritual Durations...
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:51:30 PM »
Okay, probably a newb question...

I've got a character doing a ritual that looks basically like this:
+05 Ward Strength
+06 Duration (Time: til sunrise --> A month)
+02 Ignored figures (family)
+02 activated (turn it on/off)
=15

My character has Conviction 3, Discipline 3, Lore 3.  So she can typically expect to do this in about five exchanges.  To be safe and because she's in no hurry, she's opting to raise two-points of energy across seven exchanges and one point at the very end.

My question is this:  How long does it take to perform an exchange in an unhurried thaumaturgical ritual?

From other games, I generally accept that a combat-exchange will take about three to six seconds...  It feels wrong for a thaumaturgical exchange to take the same length of time as a combat-exchange.  I mean a 15-shift ritual shouldn't take only 45-seconds to a minute and a half, should it?

Or am I missing something?
--
DV v1.2 jait YR9 FR3(1) BK+ RP++++ JB- TH++ WG+ CL--- SW? BC+ MC+++++ SH(Sarissa+, Murphy++)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Thaumaturgical Ritual Durations...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
You're right, thaumaturgy does operate on a different time scale. The issue is that the book is not clear on exactly what time scale it does operate on. Usually for me a ritual is a scene long (because the whole time that someone is doing the ritual is technically a scene). I know that doesn't really help, but it's all I got. It should be somewhere between a few minutes for a little ritual to a whole day for some of the bigger stuff (there are rituals that would last many days, but I figure as a player you probably won't be involved in those).

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »
My character has Conviction 3, Discipline 3, Lore 3.  So she can typically expect to do this in about five exchanges.  To be safe and because she's in no hurry, she's opting to raise two-points of energy across seven exchanges and one point at the very end.
If you're not in a hurry, I'd actually recommend using one shift of power per exchange.  Using two is mildly risky with a Discipline of 3, all it takes is one -2 roll you're not prepared for*.  Dropping that to a single shift of power means you'd need to roll a -3 to fail, which is much less likely.  (You'll get a -3 or worse ~6.2% of the time and a -2 or worse ~18.5% of the time.) 

*When you are in a hurry, set up at least one aspect related to controlling power and save it for boosting a low roll.

My question is this:  How long does it take to perform an exchange in an unhurried thaumaturgical ritual?

From other games, I generally accept that a combat-exchange will take about three to six seconds...  It feels wrong for a thaumaturgical exchange to take the same length of time as a combat-exchange.  I mean a 15-shift ritual shouldn't take only 45-seconds to a minute and a half, should it?
I don't differentiate much between thaumaturgy and evocation exchanges.  After all, Sponsored Magic allows thaumaturgy at combat speed.

What really makes the difference is the preparation.  Have you ever tried drawing a relatively even circle several feet across?  Not easy to do quickly.  Consider all the aspects being set up and how they're set up - runes, circles, candles, incense, stone arrangements, other items, mental prep, etc.  All this takes time.  But keep the ritual below Lore so you don't need the aspects and you can cast as quickly as you can control the power - potentially in seconds. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:48:14 AM »
The RAW has no real rules on how to manage thaumaturgy.  I came up with some here which may help you come up with how to run things in your own game.

Offline jait

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:17:07 AM »
Thank-you for the quick responses.  I accept that some may go faster, some slower as it relates to dramatic tension, but I did feel the need for a baseline conception of the time-frame involved.

@crusher_bob: Your link is awesome.  I'm planning on mining it for some details.  It falls pretty in-line with my own thoughts...
--
DV v1.2 jait YR9 FR3(1) BK+ RP++++ JB- TH++ WG+ CL--- SW? BC+ MC+++++ SH(Sarissa+, Murphy++)