Author Topic: "I am Magneto, Master of Magnetism!"  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
"I am Magneto, Master of Magnetism!"
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
Considering Dresden himself is a geek, with all the comic and sci fi/fantasy references he makes, I was thinking about that in the back of my brain while making NPCs for my upcoming game.

My players are making their characters today - we did city creation last time we got together (every other Saturday). Not knowing exactly what they are making (at first, EVERYONE wanted to make a Wizard or Sorcerer; I explained to them I'm fine with that as long as they were, but not everyone was, so they went home to think about it and see if they really want to play a full group of wizards; one has decided he might want to play a warrior of god type instead, as Michael Carpenter was his favorite character in the novels, hehe)

Anyway, while I doubt we will be playing today due to character creation, who knows? So I started thinking of an emergency game where I can't take character aspects into account.  I started thinking of a renegade warlock.

Then, I thought of Molly's beginnings. And I thought of Harry's geekness.

And then a 15 year old kid who reads WAY too many comics suddenly discovers he's a Terramancer... a master of earth. But, as a kid who reads comics, it manifests as magnetism (you know, earth's magnetic field, magnets, blah blah blah), and he thinks he may be the earth's first real mutant.

And thus, he decides to name himself after his favorite comic villain. :)

Ernest Langely
Focused Practitioner - Earth
(Since I envision him as just a kid growing into his own, and is actually in his Rising Conflict Phase which may determine whether or not he turns into a good guy, a bad guy, a dead guy, or what have you, I'm not giving him a full set of aspects, skills, etc; set as a Feet in the Water PC-style character, because, who knows....)
High Concept: Deluded Teenage Terramancer
Trouble: "I am Magneto, Master of Magnetism!"
Background: "I'll show those bullies!"
Rising Conflict: (Currently in his rising conflict; giving him a temporary aspect, but will allow it to change based on how the PCs resolve the situation): ""With Great Power Comes Great Kick-Assness!!!""

Skills:
Good(+3): Conviction, Discipline
Fair (+2): Alertness, Lore, Scholarship
Average (+1): Craftsmanship, Driving, Empathy

Powers: Channeling (Earth) , Ritual (Earth)
Rote: Metal Storm - used with his Helm of Magneto! - +2 shift zone-wide block, a storm of metal he rises from all around him, keeping people from being able to do much other than seek cover

Focus Item: A bit of a story item here, as he doesn't realize he's using magic, and really doesn't realize he's performing ritual magic. As such, he has one focus item (and one enchanted item) that he created basically by accident by his passion for recreating himself into his vision of magneto:
The Helm of Magneto! - +1 conviction for power, +1 control, earth magic offensive evocation (although for magnetics due to the kid's psychological focus)

Enchanted Item: Chainmail of Magneto! - Armor: 1

Beginning Refresh: 6; total after powers - 2

Appearance and Mannerisms: Ernest is awkward, lanky, and his voice is cracking. He wears glasses, has a small acne problem, and typically wears geeky clothes (such as ), although he shows promise for filling into a larger adult, currently he's the kind of kid that no one, sadly, takes seriously - until he reveals and unleashes his full power.

Ernest Langely is a lonely, bitter, angry teenager, constantly teased mercilessly at school, and with a single mother working 2 jobs, he barely sees her, and while he wouldn't admit it, is desperate for a friend. When his power suddenly starts to manifest, he imagines it is his comic books essentially coming to life, and, angry at his bullies, starts to plan his revenge.

But like many troubled teens, he isn't lost. In fact, he hasn't broken any of the laws - yet. He starts harassing his bullies, first in secret, hurling small pieces of metal to bruise, screwing up their cell phones and cars, etc, but as he has finished constructing his Magneto armor and helm, as he works up his courage and his rage, he's starting to step up the consequences of his revenge. If not stopped, he may become a full Warlock and need to be put down. Or, otherwise, perhaps saved and redirected into a more productive life?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:02:18 PM by Morfedel »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: "I am Magneto, Master of Magnetism!"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
The Spare Character Concepts thread would be a good place for this guy.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: "I am Magneto, Master of Magnetism!"
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »
I'm not aware of this thread. I'll go take a look.