Author Topic: Inspiration  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Inspiration
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:08:42 AM »
I'm curious what inspires some of the other authors on this site.

Not like what literary works have influenced your own, but what gives you ideas...

For instance, while I truly love my music, it has yet to inspire anything in my writing.  On the other hand, my mind has color schemes it loves that never show up in my music or reading, weird ones like Burgandy and Blue, Turquoise and Orange, Green and Orange, Green and Purple, etc.  My writing tries to use those color schemes and create a synesthetic feel that matches them.(Synesthetic feel is that the writing and ideas create those color schemes in my head.  Look up Synesthesia for a greater understanding of my minor insanity  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia.)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Re: Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24:02 AM »
My inspirations can be pictures or something written, or sometimes even music.
My mind wanders - a lot - and it takes some weird paths so I never quite know where I'll end up. ::)
Saw a line in a mystery book by Rita Mae Brown about a ghost stag that manages to get a couple of hunters to shoot each other ever hunting season.  It had the feel of a local legend to me and may have led to what I'm currently working on.
Another time, an idea popped into my head - What if the Lady of the Lake was a bag lady?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »
For me, the question has always been; how can you not get ideas ?  We live in a fractally complicated world;  I can't recall a day I didn't have a notion related to something or other pop into my brain based on something I heard or saw or came across. Not always a useful or sensible idea (I am trying to bury the Nabokov-Lovecraft mash-up notion my brain sprung on me yesterday somewhere I never have to think about it ever again)  but they are there. Pretty much everything I read or watch has me thinking about what it's trying to do, how it is doing it, whether I can learn from it, whether I have a reaction to or riff on it that's worth making into a story of its own, &c.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Lord Rae

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
I like art... especially abstract and fantasy art and artists. I like to take one or two small things from a picture and twist them around and make it my own and then use that to create a whole backstory for a character or a place.....stuff like that.

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
Tool  ;D

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 08:48:06 PM »
Other...input, really.  Not music, or art so often, but other books, tv, film etc.  Often it will be something familiar, like a movie I've seen a million times playing in the background.  Sometimes Ill get good ideas spun of like science news or a wikipedia walkabout or something.  Its kinda random, really...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »
For me, it's usually a character name or a title.  One will pop unbidden into my mind seemingly from nowhere, and I will begin to build a story around it.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
I know a script writer and she saves small news articles and blurbs from things like the newspapers.
The whole world is one big inspiration when you get down to it - it's whatever frequencies your brain is tuned into (music, color, art, news, nature, etc.) that work for you.