Author Topic: After Battle Recovery  (Read 1560 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
After Battle Recovery
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
Was wondering how people would stat something like Spirit Meditation (where if you mediate after a battle and somehow help your body heal quicker possibly by directing your bodies effort), would Inhuman Recovery with a +1 catch of only when meditating work or would that not be fair not giving enemies the opportunity to bypass that recovery with some material catch?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: After Battle Recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »
Was wondering how people would stat something like Spirit Meditation (where if you mediate after a battle and somehow help your body heal quicker possibly by directing your bodies effort), would Inhuman Recovery with a +1 catch of only when meditating work or would that not be fair not giving enemies the opportunity to bypass that recovery with some material catch?

Enemies could bypass it much the same way that Nicodemus negated Harry's magic: by holding them in a situation which prevents them from meditating/summoning the energy. In Harry's case, it was to tie him up under a stream of running water. I am not sure that's enough to give a discount, though.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
That sounds like Recovery with a Catch that boils down basically to "cannot be used in combat", which doesn't really affect any trappings of Recovery save for the "Shrug it Off" type.

If you had to skip a scene while you healed, like a thaumaturgist sacrificing play time for shifts of power, maybe that'd be worth something.  But as a player, I'd think that would suck.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
I think a Catch of, essentially, "Any other Action taken" would qualify as a +1 at least...

Catch is bypassed by something essentially anyone can get ahold of (distraction's pretty common these days), +2.
Requires knowing you personally, +0 (it's less of a lore thing, and more of a unique or hyper-rare skill).

Total +2... max +1 when paired with Inhuman Recovery... and anything more than Inhuman Recovery would, I think, not be appropriate story-wise for meditative chi-control.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »
It seems like that's actually restricting the power in specific ways. The "shrug it off" trapping is completely inaccessible to you, while the other trappings are almost completely unaffected by your catch. I don't much like it, but it seems legit by RAW.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »

Another way to model something like Spirit Meditation is to treat it as something similar to the Elaine's Reiki Healing spell found on YS300.  To be honest, that sounds (to me at least) as a more appropriate way to handle this instead of creating a new power with an associated Refresh cost and potential Catch. 

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:40 AM »
@ admiral
Any consequences taken in a manner that satisfies your Catch can never be affected by your Recovery power.  As such, a Catch of 'cannot be used in combat' means that only consequences taken outside of combat are healed at an increased rate.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 03:56:54 AM »
That's a bit of a jerk move, since you know the player's intent and are simply choosing to ignore it in favor of the literal wording. Were I your player I would be pissed.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 04:10:31 AM »
I think I'd cost it as no Catch (or a +0 Catch) with a +1 limitation of Healing Requires Conscious Action (note:  this action could simply be one exchange in combat).  Then you can also increase the length of time that action takes and give another +1 per four or five steps up in time increments.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
That's a bit of a jerk move, since you know the player's intent and are simply choosing to ignore it in favor of the literal wording. Were I your player I would be pissed.

Vitriol aside, it is an element of the rules, so the power may merit an approach from a different direction.

Edit: then again, does a Wereform's Catch apply when they are not in Wereform?

Another possibility would be to link the Recovery Power to something like Human Form.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:03:54 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets