Author Topic: Aspects and High Concepts  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Jexter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Aspects and High Concepts
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »
Is there a list somewhere with these in it?  Peoples favorites, most used, etc.
What kind of house doesn't have Salt?!?

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
Re: Aspects and High Concepts
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
Well this is really up to you and strongly depends on how you want your character to be described.

My character, Vincent Lione VI, for example
High Concept
Newly Appointed Warden
Trouble
Endebted to Winter
Other Aspects
Old World Upbringing
Street Smart
Dresden Taught Me What I Know
My Employee is Insane
Nobody I Know is Normal
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
My character, Matt Boreham:

High concept: Undisciplined sorcerer.
Trouble: A dash of hubris and a full helping of entitlement.
Other Aspects:
Touched by the Fae
No one fucks with my friends but me
Everything's a shade of grey.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
There is an aspect list, however it is just that, a very long list. If it helps, cool, but it may be hard to slog through.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22592.0.html

Also

http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Aspects

(a lot of the aspects are repeated throughout though)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:54:50 PM by sinker »

Offline Jexter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »
Thanks, this will help a lot.  Still new to DFRPG and Fate, I don't have too much problem with the high concepts, but the aspects and how to tag, compel and use during play is still a little new for me.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
Yeah, if you have any questions about the use of aspects feel free to ask. It's kinda what we do here (that and argue nigh endlessly about minor rules interpretations  ;D ).

Offline Jexter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:10:35 AM »
I'm working on a Were-Gorilla concept.
High Aspect - Disgraced Were-Gorilla War Veteran
Trouble - My Family Doesn't know
Aspects - Large Family
              Bad Intel, Again!
              800 pount Gorilla in the Room

Comes from a large family of mortals, all cops and military.  High School Football all star, with a chance to get a scholarsiph.  When a slip up with college scouts he gets no scholarships, and joins the Army, just like the rest of his family, after making Ranger in the Army he is sent on a Rescue mission to South America to rescue an American Diplomat, only the insurgents were Red Court Vamps, not mortals.  His squad is all killed, he is saved by literal Gorilla/Guerilla Fighters, led by an African Wizard.  He is reported KIA with the rest of his squad.

After coming to, he is introduced into the supernatural world, seeing the death and destruction that the Red Court has done and is continuing to do in South America, he deciedes to takes up arms against the Vamps.  The group is actually a bunch of Were-Gorillas that show him the ropes.  They try to teach him the change, but he seemingly can't, however with his skills from the Army he is able to help rally them into an exceptional fighting force.

In an attempt to trap and destroy the Gorilla Fighters, the Red Court Vamps pull some strings and set them up as Drug Cartel and send an American force to destroy them.  Most of the fighters scattered, but before he can, he is spotted and captured by the leader, his Uncle!  He is pulled back into the military and summarily discharged, but due to his family's influence he serves no time in Levenworth and is sent home, as a disgrace.

With no contacts back to the Gorilla Fighters, he goes to work as a Security Guard, but starts noticing Red Court activity here.  After foolishly confronting one of the vamps, and nearly getting killed,  he suddenly makes the change into a Were-Gorilla and turns the tables on the vamp killing it.  Using his newfound Were-form abilities to keep the vamps operations here in his town under pressure.  But will he survive...   

This is all I've got and still need to determine my stunts, powers, even some help with my skills.  Figured I'd start in a Chest Deep or Up to my waist level.  If you can help with some guidance I'd appreciate it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:12 AM »
An aspect reflecting opposition to the Red Court might be appropriate. It seems like an important part of him, from the backstory.

Powers should include Echoes Of The Beast (Gorilla), Beast Change, and Human Form modifying Inhuman Strength. Inhuman Toughness is also a possibility.

Skills and stunts are hard to determine without knowing more about the character.

I'd expect high Guns and Presence in human form, and high Might and Fists in gorilla form. Athletics and Endurance decent in both. Beyond that, I dunno. Survival? Discipline? Alertness?

Offline Jexter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:39:12 AM »
Thanks.  I'll develop more on his backstory, and use an Aspect that will be against the Reds, good catch there.  I believe your right in the Guns and Presence in human form and I was right there with the inhuman strength and toughness, just wasn't sure about the catch for the toughness.

Also would I be able to use basic weapons in Gorilla form you think?  Semi-Bipedal and all that, but a club, or a mace maybe?  Possibly even some type of armor.... I think a gun would contradict his Were-Form though....  Or I'm overthinking it

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:52:37 AM »
You can use armour in your gorilla form if you can find some that fits.

You can use weapons in gorilla form if you take the Weapons skill in your gorilla form.

I wouldn't do that, though, if I were you. The Armed Arts stunt is probably your friend here.

Massive damage is a possible catch for a gorilla. You take pistol bullets better than a human, but an elephant gun hurts you as much as it hurts me.

Or you could tie it into your shapeshifting and your origins. Maybe there's some kind of imperfection in your transformation that makes you vulnerable.

Or you could just go with an unknown catch.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »
I would suggest that you work on your trouble aspect a bit. Your trouble should be something that drives you (consider harry's trouble of "The temptation of power" and how it drives his choices) as well as something that you see coming up regularly (and by that I mean probably at least once a session if not more). I don't see that in the trouble you currently have, but if you do then by all means keep it.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
This is all I've got and still need to determine my stunts, powers, even some help with my skills.  Figured I'd start in a Chest Deep or Up to my waist level.  If you can help with some guidance I'd appreciate it.
Well as a shapechanger you'll have (-1) Beast Change and, as an 800 lb Gorilla, you'll want (-2 to -4) some version of Strength and possibly (-2) Hulking Size.  The Toughness / Recovery powers are another good fit.  Claws are worth a look (though swinging a big club is as good or better) and Spider Walk can simulate climbing ability (though that may be more appropriate for other simians).  For skills, look at Alertness, Athletics, Endurance, Fists, and Might for your gorilla form while Athletics, Guns, Stealth, and mental / social skills appear to fit your human background.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
Massive damage is a possible catch for a gorilla.
As a GM, I wouldn't allow that as a catch.  YMMV

Unless you have an unusual reason for becoming a therianthrope, I'd stick with the standard catch.  That said, you could justify a variety of catches by modifying how you turn(ed).  If you simply learned it from a book on magical shapechanging, magic makes a good catch.  On the other hand, an individual blessed by Gaia might have wood and other unworked natural items as a catch.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 10:02:23 PM »
Standard catch? What's that?

And why not allow massive damage as a catch?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
Standard catch? What's that?
Usually silver for infected shapechangers in popular media and many legends.

And why not allow massive damage as a catch?
Not sure this is the appropriate thread for this, so I'll be brief.  Narratively:  1) it simply doesn't make sense for me to have one piece of lead allow regeneration while another doesn't; 2) it's boring - a bigger boom always does more damage; 3) military grade weapons aren't "hide-able" (as in from the law and other mortals) in an urban setting.  Mechanically:  1) "massive damage" is poorly defined and, while it could be narrowed down; 2) it will mean near automatic extreme injury or death and consequently; 3) lead to down time or, worse, sitting out scenes for healing.  Metagame reasons:  1) going from ping "I'm not hurt" to "Boom I'm dead" isn't usually fun; 2) yet catches above 0 should show up in the game; and 3) the same weapon is likely to completely destroy other team members.
--