Author Topic: Victorian Age Campaign  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Grindall

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Victorian Age Campaign
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »
Hi guys, I'm italian and my english is not so good... so, I hope you'll able to understand me (and I hope to understand you too... but WordReference can help me, more than Google Translate! xD).

I'm thinking about a Dresden Files Victorian Age Campaign. I would set my adventure in London, with a little bit of steampunk atmosphere. I'm thinking about a London still dominated by Black Court Vampires. I'll take my inspiration from Stoker, Conan Doyle, other writers of the period and, why not, from Alan Moore ("League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "From Hell"). 

What do you think? Have you tried similar experiment?

Thanks!

Offline MAK

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Age Campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm a Finn and the default Dresdenverse does not feel really familiar in the same way it does for an American. Nor does our gamong group want to model contemporary Finland (boring....), so we run a Dresden game in renaissance era Venice. Some things I've noticed when not using the standard contemporary Dresdenverse:
- you need to think about available equipment and how hexing works: as there is less technology around, wizards could become more powerful in relation to pure mortals (since nobody has automatic weapons or cell phones). Steampunk gadgets could solve this problem in your case.
- many of the tropes of urban fantasy do not work, as there are fewer pop culture references (biker werewolves etc), you need to use a style suitable for the era. Again, steampunk sounds good for your setting
- there is obviously less stuff you can use without modification in the DFRPG books, but the modification is fairly easy to do as you do not go that far in history
- Europe is always a good choice for a fantasy setting (for an European at least) as you can look much deeper into historical events and mythology for inspiration

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:58:25 PM »
You might want to use the old form of Hexing (milk spoils, etc) if you're setting the game in the past.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:55:43 AM »
Sounds fun.

I expect that the world's balance of power be heavily weighted against mortals in the Victorian Age. The army is less impressive without tanks and airplanes and nukes.

Plus, the lack of an internet means that you can take over a town without breaking the masquerade.

So we might see more in the way of supernatural dominion over mortals.

Offline Grindall

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »
I'm a Finn and the default Dresdenverse does not feel really familiar in the same way it does for an American.

Me too! I have the same problem with other games, like Vampire and World of Darkness in general. It's not the first time I use London for my campaigns, but this time I'd prefer to set my adventure in one of the most fascinating period of London's history, with an addition of steampunk tachnology (just a little bit). I think Dresden Files allows a similar experiment, 'cause it's more "fantasy" than other "urban" games.

You might want to use the old form of Hexing (milk spoils, etc) if you're setting the game in the past.

I'm thinking about other form of hexing, like "old" ones. As an alternative I'll use a sort of "steampunk technology hexing".

I expect that the world's balance of power be heavily weighted against mortals in the Victorian Age.

I'd like to permit one additional refresh point to mortals character during creation. What do you think about this "solution"?

Offline kenposan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
Sounds fun.

I expect that the world's balance of power be heavily weighted against mortals in the Victorian Age. The army is less impressive without tanks and airplanes and nukes.

Plus, the lack of an internet means that you can take over a town without breaking the masquerade.

So we might see more in the way of supernatural dominion over mortals.

Not necessarily if one goes with the steampunk idea. Everything is possible with steampunk. Steve Jackson Games has a nice GURPS steampunk supplement with lots of nasty tech in it. Space 1889 is nice too, but not quite as interesting in terms of the tech to me.
Dark magic. It was fun and easy. Like Lego.

Offline Grindall

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 11:40:51 PM »
Not necessarily if one goes with the steampunk idea. Everything is possible with steampunk. Steve Jackson Games has a nice GURPS steampunk supplement with lots of nasty tech in it.

Steam Tech for GURPS 3rd Edition, isn't it?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:18:16 AM »
I dunno about giving extra refresh...the weakness of mortals would be primarily organizational. On a personal level, the differences are not huge.

Offline chelatek

• Participant
  • Hay guys what's going on in this thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »

Richard

In Victorian Times, it'd be flame sputtering.  Spoiling food was for around the Dark Ages, I think.

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »
Quote from: Richard_Chilton on October 01, 2011, 01:58:25 PM

Richard

In Victorian Times, it'd be flame sputtering.  Spoiling food was for around the Dark Ages, I think.

I think you are both right. But itīs mentioned that most technology past the WW2 is sensitive to modern times hexing. I would speculate that hexing has to do something with human belief. In the Dark Ages most people were farmers and in their belief evil or something unnatural manifests itself in strange signs like spoiled milk or the birth of twoheaded animals or something. One could assume that especially the WW2, where technology killed millions of people and the times thereafter the belief of the people changed and technology became some kind of a new belief system. Not really like some kind of new religion but nevertheless spiritually important. So from thereon the changes in the reality caused by MORTAL spellcasters tended to show in other ways. Especially the victroian ages (or a renaissance setting) are some kind of borderzones, spiritually spoken. In the cities (London would be THE example in victorian times) the people are used to gaslights and other stuff and a little bit of science, while in rural areas there are still a lot of people, who belief in ghost, fairies and magic. But if you see who many people were still simple landfolk (no offense towards farmers here :-))  i would handle it like hexing in the dark ages.....

Offline More.Than.A.Mechanic

• Participant
  • "I'm like batman minus that bruce wayne part"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
I think that's an awesome idea. A book series you could check out that might give you a few ideas is the Soulless Series by Gail Carriger, which is set in victorian london in a very butcheresque way though the supernatural don't hide who they are, which is an interesting take on things.

Also I've been thinking about a Pirate!Dresden Campaign...

Offline kenposan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »
Steam Tech for GURPS 3rd Edition, isn't it?

not sure what edition it is. I just know there is a GURPS steampunk and a supplement of tech.
Dark magic. It was fun and easy. Like Lego.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:35:59 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think the move from GURPS 3rd to 4th was just a collecting and reorganising of the various rules.  That little changed in fundamental ways.

So, unlike D&D, it's relatively simple to adapt GURPS 3rd ed to GURPS 4th ed.

Richard