Author Topic: Campaign Creation Help (Low Powered)  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Oniya

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Campaign Creation Help (Low Powered)
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:50:57 AM »
Hello, I'm creating my first campaign in the Dresden Files RPG and I would like to ask for some general tips you have for a first time GM for DFRPG (I've mainly done more rules heavy games like DnD 3.5 and Fantasy Craft, so this is certainly a bit different).

But I also like to ask for some more specific help. The story I'm planning on running is based at the college I go to and the players are playing themselves with twists (such as a focused practitioner, etc.). Though I can see where a lot of problems could arise from this kind of campaign, I think it could be pretty fun. Anyway, I've come up with some pretty interesting ideas on supernatural aspects on the college and surrounding areas; however, since I want this to be pretty low power (base refresh of 6 or 7) I've been trying to figure out what would be appropriate to throw at the PCs since even Red Court Vampires might be too powerful to use.

I guess part of my problem is that I keep thinking of what supernatural things to use, when I could make stories completely focused on other focused practitioners and the like. Also, since I've mainly played more rules/combat heavy systems, I'm probably thinking of encounters too much as purely fights.

Anyway, if that made any sense at all, what would you think would be appropriate antagonists and creatures for this power level? Also, as said above, general tips would also be great.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Creation Help (Low Powered)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
As long as you have two or more players at 6 to 7 base refresh, a single RCV should be doable.  Basically count up the spent refresh of all your players and throw them threats with a similar count of spent refresh for an even fight.  Granted, you will have to take into account the areas your players are weak in and not throw them things that play on that weakness too hard unless it's meant to be a long term adversary.  They may surprise you even then though, players can be tricksy like that.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Blechpirat

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • FATE Deutschland!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
If you are unsure, give your players some more fate-points (for example for bringing snacks or being host or something) - that makes them a lot stronger. If you feel that this makes your opponents to weak, spend some fatepoints yourself. There is no limit for the fatepoints your NSC have, and you're not required to tell your players in advance. This way you can balance both ways till you developed a feel for the game.

Also, look at the rules for conceding a fight. It's another way of ending inbalanced or boring fights.

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
You can throw anything at them, if you make the means available to defeat it.  You have Storyteller block?
See if this helps get any creative juices flowing.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures

Just randomly picking one from the A's - Agathodaemon (Greek) - Spirit of vinefields and grainfields.
You mentioned that the setting was at a college campus.  I immediately see the spirit causing problems because of something going on at a local vineyard, and it involves the Players via an on campus wine tasting/party/drinking binge/whatever.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:35:58 AM »
One thing that is always a good thing to use are existing stories of hauntings and the like for the location you are using. Almost every place has its share of spooky stories, and they are an excellent way to get started. Also: any "supernatural incident at a college" movie could work as inspiration. Or maybe Buffy episodes, there is some great stuff in there.

You don't have to use supernatural forces to keep your players on their toes. If they need to get somewhere, local law enforcement or private security, or hell, just an eager RA might be enough to keep them busy. How about some student who suspects something spooky about one of the PCs and is trying to find out what is going on. Or another student in contest for an internship or a scholarship who gets in with the forces of darkness to have an edge over the PC he's competing with.

I often like to create "evil mirror" versions of the player characters to use against them, mostly in the form of lieutenants to the actual big bad. That way, each player can have his 15 minutes against his personal enemy, and I need a lot less time to prepare some generic threat. If you can establish them from the players background, that is even better. You can either do it in a 1:1 fashion, like focused practitioner against focused practitioner, or in an "unbreakable" fashion, making the opponent an opposite. The latter is more difficult, because you should still remain true to the character you are designing it for. For example you could send a werebear against a werewolf, strength against speed, something like that.

A good baseline should be the combined spent refresh of your player characters. If you spend an equal amount of refresh on the opposition in any given conflict, the fight should be tough, but winnable if the players work together. If you spend more, the fight is either going to be REALLY tough or not winnable without sacrifice. Knowing the bad guys weakness in advance should be the players objective before they get into a fight like that, and you should probably let them know that they won't be able to win this fight, if they try to push it (like someone else said: conceding is a good option here). Also NPCs don't necessarily take as many consequences as a PC, so that is an easy way to tone down the difficulty, if you realise you overdid it.

“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 04:02:36 AM »
I think you underestimate Feet In The Water characters. An average guy is considerably weaker than a Feet In The Water PC. I'm considerably weaker than a Feet In The Water PC.

A Feet In The Water combat character could kill a RCV in a white room duel, no problem.

Going to disagree with Haru and Buzzard on the Refresh total thing. It's very possible for a 5 Refresh character to be a bigger threat than a 10 Refresh one. Especially if the skills are different. Skills are really important.

I'd probably start off with mortal opposition for a small-scale feel. A trio of unexceptional mortal goons is probably about about as dangerous as a RCV, but they seem less epic.

PS: Check out the Resources Board if you need inspiration. It's full of good stuff. I mean, I'm biased, but I figure it'll probably be helpful.
PPS: Evil Hat has written some casefiles that might also be useful to you. They provide examples of what the corporation that writes this game thinks players can handle.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:04:15 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Oniya

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. It will definitely help. I think I understand how the power structure of the game works a bit more now.