Author Topic: Psionics in Dresden  (Read 7260 times)

Offline arthurfallz

• Participant
  • The Dread Duck
    • View Profile
Psionics in Dresden
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
They're touched on in the book, but I was curious how people would handle more full-fledged, telekinetics and the like? Would they just be magic powers copying spells and magic, or something else?

A little lost on what to do. I don't want to just make them "like magic", as they don't come with all the inherent limitations of magic either.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.

Offline razorsmile

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • red like smoke
Re: Psionics in Dresden
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Could have sworn this was covered under "focused practitioners." Of course, I'm all for adding different non-magic power types to the Dresdenverse.
They rose amid the crag as lightning blasted the mountains black against the sky and lashed blue fire over their saddles and along the guns.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
What do you want it to do?  Chanelling fits most of what I think of when I hear psionics, and Rituals does the rest.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
If for some reason you don't want to use magical powers, stunts and stunt-like powers can move physical trappings to mental skills to represent telekinesis.

Incite Emotion lets you make pretty good telepathic attacks, as does Domination.

Communication through telepathy has never been statted satisfactorily, as far as I know.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »
In my game one of the PCs does something like telepathy using an upgraded version of pack instincts.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
These are telekinesis powers I have used in my game. I also allowed a Strength powers purely for Psionics to get the really powerful comic level telekinesis. 

Telekinesis [-2] - You can move stuff with your mind, this allows you to make physical maneuvers and attack one zone away from you, treat your discipline as your attacking skill and your conviction as might when using this power.

Fast as a Thought [-1] Your attacks with telekinesis are instantaneous and invisible, they cannot be dodged or parried. Telekinesis is defended against with endurance.     

Visual Range [-1] The range for your telekinesis has increased to line of sight. (gm determining)

Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »
Telekinesis [-2] - You can move stuff with your mind, this allows you to make physical maneuvers and attack one zone away from you, treat your discipline as your attacking skill and your conviction as might when using this power.

This seems overcosted to me.  Compare Incite Emotions.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
Or compare to channeling:kinetomancy for that matter.

Communication through telepathy has never been statted satisfactorily, as far as I know.

Invocation for effect of high concept (assuming that the high concept has something to do with telepathy) or use of mundane effects rule, depending on story significance.

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
Psionics where invented by Sci-fi authors so they could put magic in their stories without calling it magic.

No specific adaptation nessecary. Just diffrent trappings for existing magic.

I'd pick focused practitioners for the diffrent flavor psions.

The only thing I'd ponder is the effects psions pull off on the fly where wizards need more time to prepare a ritual.
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I think Channeling:Spirit fit's this rather well. Just instead of describing it as "I blasted him with pure kinetic energy", simply say "I picked up a rock with my mind and shot it toward him".

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
Channeling makes sense for the big blast stuff but dosen't make sense for certain types of pycer because of the stress limit and the fact you can't just use it for just heavy lifting stuff channeling is more of a weapon than  a tool.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »
Can you give examples of specifics that don't work with Channelling and Ritual?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
Elfen Lied is an the example that comes to mind Elfen Lied telekinetic power is represented as invisible arms which can be used pretty much like normal arms (therefor wouldn't require stress to use) in that although they can be used as a tool for slicing an dicing they can also be used for moving chairs. The stress mechanic of DF casting means that magic means that it can't be used casually and that if you screw up you can kill yourself quite easily.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »
Telekinesis doesn't seem underpowered at all to me. It's nearly full substitution of three skills, plus an extra zone of attack range. It's equal to about 4-5 stunts and a -1 power.

Can you grapple with Telekinesis?

I suggest an upgrade that lets you defend against attacks with Telekinesis.

Don't much like Fast As A Thought.

Invoking for effect and using the mundane effects rules is basically just a fancy handwave. Sometimes that's appropriate, but if someone wants something to be a big part of their powerset then handwaving it is a bad idea.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
Telekinesis doesn't seem underpowered at all to me. It's nearly full substitution of three skills, plus an extra zone of attack range. It's equal to about 4-5 stunts and a -1 power.

Which three skills are 'nearly fully substituted'?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough