Author Topic: DFRPG for Epic Fantasy?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
DFRPG for Epic Fantasy?
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »
I was working on an LotR-style epic fantasy, and was thinking of using Strands of Fate or Legends of Anglerre. However, while figuring out how to do what I wanted through SoF, it suddenly occurred to me my resultant efforts looked a lot like DFRPG.

Aside from the fact that wizards are quite powerful in a world with guns (and how WOULD you balance that anyway), what other problems might you foresee?

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG for Epic Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »
Wizards in the Dresden-verse were more obvious in the dark ages. When wizards are around, fires burn strange colours, milk sours, and other typical "witch signs." And people don't particularly like wizards, because they can do and know strange things no one else can. That's the balance: Not being able to deal with normal people for long without them wanting to burn you or run away.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
That was in Medieval Ages Dresdenverse. This is a separate world. Imagine Ganfalf in LotR, or the Lords of Thomas Covenant. They were well accepted.

In this world, there are good and evil spellcasters, much like KDDI and Sith Lords. So social controls won't be part of the setting.

Frankly, I'll probably just go with either SoF or LoA, but I threw this question in to see what people thought.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
You'd have to drop the lawbreaker stunts if you want combat mages, but it could work.

You might also want to restrict thaumatury by linking it to rare components - otherwise the mages will dominate the game.  Then again, Ars Magica was a good game and that was very mage centric.

Richard

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
You'd have to drop the lawbreaker stunts if you want combat mages

Why? Just make a template for Evocation and Lawbreaker 1st (-2). Lifetaking as a force of corruption is a valid trope for epic fantasy, especially if you want a little Gothic in there.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
The effect of the Lawbreaker stunts keep going after the -2.  As you kill more people you will have to change your Aspects one by one until you are based around killing.

That's a bit restrictive for a battle mage...

But you could go with the White Caster/Black Caster mix.  White Casters obeying the mystic laws of magic while the Black Casters walk their kill crazy path.

Richard

Offline Mindflayer94

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
... Legends of Anglerre ...

I had never heard of that, thanks, I just bought the pdf and read through it, it seems like a great game. So good in fact, I'm about to buy a physical copy.
DV Mindflayer94 v1.2 YR3 FR2 BK+++ RP++++ JB TH++++ WG+ CL--- SW BC++ !MC SH[Murphy+++]

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
Their Starblazer & the setting supplement for that ruleset is pretty good for sci-fi too. Aiming to run something in that after I'm done with the current run of DFRPG that our group is playing.