Author Topic: Practical applications of a Chemistry Major  (Read 1326 times)

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Practical applications of a Chemistry Major
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:21:48 AM »
My Crafter (a character many here have helped me with) has a Masters in Chemistry so he knows a lot about mixing mundane chemical compounds in addition to his high Lore. However I just realized that I wasn't using that back story on my character sheet so I took away a few enchanted item slots and slapped on a stunt: Chemistry Major: Can roll Scholarship to create chemical compounds. I like him being able to make magical as well as "normal" things with nearly equal skill, but I'm struggling to think of practical applications of chemicals due to the fact that I personally hated Chemistry in High School and know very little about it.

My character has a Scholarship of Superb (5) so he has a fairly useful lab, but are there any useful chemicals that I could make by myself? In my mind I'm imagining rusting locks, opening a jar and have the contents react with the Oxygen to through up a smokescreen, throwing hydrochloric acid in at someone, etc., but how much of that is conceivable? I'm not asking anyone to do any extensive search for me, if it comes down to it I'll suck it up and wade through Wikipedia to find stuff, but does anyone remember enough from their High School or College Chemistry classes to say whether or not this is plausible? When playing Dresden we of course overlook whether things are perfectly realistic to make the game less tedious and more fun but I'm not sure if what I have in my mind is completely ridiculous or not. Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Practical applications of a Chemistry Major
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »
Homemade explosives, rather more potent caustic agents than 'mere' HCl (or at least more concentrated examples of it), older 'chemical weapons' agents (most of the newer stuff would need dedicated production/safety equipment)...
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:07:05 AM »
Many moons ago someone else (who's name I forget) speculated on this.  He posted the link:
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride.php about a chemical compound whose chemical name can be written as FOOF (aka dioxygen difluoride).  The blog linked above contains several entries about things that that the poster won't work with - because they are just too dangerous to be in the same building with. 

In theory someone could use magic to make those compounds - but anyone who does should have some sort of explosive shield between him and the compound in question.

Oh, and FOOF was first produced in 1932.   Definitely within the reach of the average wizard - even the Blackstaff drives a car from around that era.

Richard

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:32:04 AM »
Smokescreen? Easy, and legal.

Thermite? Dangerous, but easy (and will burn through just about anything in the normal world, if you're not in a rush).

Acids that corrode metal or flesh? All too easy (James Earl Jones voice).

Since most supernatural threats aren't fire-friendly, there are a number of basic compounds (no mixing necessary) that ignite and burn very very hot on contact with water. Ecto-plasm based creatures would be not so much affected, but anything with blood or sweat will be in a world of burning, burning hurt. VERY dangerous, but very easy. Any alkali metal will do- you'd keep them stored in oil for safety.

More 'complex' explosives are also pretty easy, but require chemicals/substances that will raise eyebrows at any police agency on the look out, or who looks into you... low-explosives will be easier (the kinds you hear about made from fertilizer)- practically just buy and mix. High-explosives are a bit more chemistry. Incendiaries will be about as doable as high-explosives, but easier to cover up as day-to-day purchases.

It doesn't have to stop there, though. There are people who make a living inventing new drugs and selling them while they're still legal (it takes time for the FDA to get ahold of them, test them, and determine if they're safe). You don't have to go that route, but you can be very well stocked on just about any drug you want, from over-the-counter aspirin to morphine, anti-depressants, anti-inhibitories (so-called truth serums, though truthfully, alcohol's still the best one we've discovered), or anything in between.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:57:08 AM »
Cool, thanks. The group I play with has lot's of people in it that come and go so almost everyone wants to make a combat character to beat stuff up with when they do play so I wanted to make a guy with lots of utility. Between my potions, Enchanted Items, and Chemistry I feel that I have the versatility I wanted.

[Edit: I changes my stunt to: Chemistry Major: Add Chemistry trapping to Scholarship]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:58:53 AM by gojj »

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »
Some other, (some slightly more sci-fi-ish) applications...

A sticky, thrown wads of goop that expand to entangle and weigh down an enemy.  (Watch the the scene in The Incredibles, where Mr. Incredible gets captured, and you'll get the idea.)

An industrial strength Post-It Note-like adhesive that would aid in climbing, when applied to hands and feet.

Flubber!

Poisons (lethal or not) of all sorts.

Also, don't forget potential solid material applications...  Knowledge of Chemistry gives you knowledge of what materials will be most effective as "armor" to protect against particular attacks.  "I've formulated a special coating that we can apply to our clothing that will neutralize the demon's acid spit...  but at that potency, it'll only protect against a few splashes."

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:29:38 AM »
All sorts of things!  I rather like chemistry...add in some biochem too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiopental

May come in handy:  Give the aspect "Smacked up with Truth Serum"