Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 150704 times)

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:49 AM »
And the contrary can be quite true as well.

Yeah, I didn't include that because I think that it's pretty well likely to be taken as a given. 

Schoolin' simply can't be taken as a measure of social judgement - the stereotype of the book-nerd who is dumb at everything else is just as much to be avoided as is the stereotype of the non-formally-educated being just dumb. We can't automatically draw conclusions either way.

I think that all of the generalizations are a bad idea.  Someone could be a great people person and a great lawyer (one attribute in the "book learning" category and one attribute in the "street smart/real world" learning category), but they could stink at other facets of each like chemistry and driving a car.  I think that the truth is that there are a wide variety of skills, and some people are likely average in a lot of them, while others excel more in some areas but are weak in others.  I hold no shame in admitting that for me most forms of art are not a strong suit. 

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23:37 AM »
The Process doesn't.  Something is very, very wrong there.  Either the person is untrained in that area or doesn't want to do.  (I don't really want to think of the third option - that they might actually want to inflect pain.)

I don't know where the truth lies, but the vet has been in business there for over 10 years, so even if he started out untrained I have to believe that he had the opportunity to become so over such a long period of time. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »
If he did that to one of my animals I would report his ass to every group I could think of.
From the BBB to the Humane Society.  That's just wrong.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2011, 09:51:26 AM »
I didn't think of it at the time.  It was my family's pet, but I hadn't spent much time with her in a long while (over a decade) as I had moved out years earlier.  My parents had gone through something similar with an earlier cat, and at the time they talked to a few others in the neighborhood who made similar claims.  I couldn't believe that they wanted to take this second cat to the same vet, but they said that otherwise things seemed okay, they had already paid, and maybe the first had been a fluke or the vet had changed. 

But my experience seemed just as horrible.  The cat was about 17, and obviously failing badly physically, but she still seemed pretty alert mentally.  My parents were too upset to take her in, so they instructed me.  I wish that I had gone somewhere else and lied, but they were a lot more familiar with the situation than I was.  I tried to comfort her, tell her it would be okay and stroke her, but she was thrashing and it was just shocking that the vet kept injecting her and saying again and again that he had to "do it one more time".  I really started to question him and eventually he "got it right".  I felt extra badly that I wasn't really a loved one for her, and that she should have had better.  But it was too late to do anything more to help her, so I did my best to be comforting until she obviously was clearly gone, and then I immediately left. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
I repeat there is something seriously wrong there.  I've been with several animals that were put to sleep and they just drifted off - no struggling or thrashing.  They'd had a shot to sedate them and then the euthenasia shot was given into a vein.
Either that vet is clueless, he's using the wrong or too weak a chemical or he wants to inflict pain.
He NEEDS to be reported to someone NOW!

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
That is horrible. I agree with Snow, you should report it to someone. Especially if things like that happened before!
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »
Alright, I'll look into it.  I don't live in the area and this was a couple of years ago, so he might not be there anymore.  But I'll check into it.

At the time I just didn't think of that, it was my first time going through that process with a vet and I didn't know exactly how it was supposed to work.  I just knew that it was very upsetting and I wanted to leave asap, though again, not until after I was sure that she was gone. 

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
I have a B.S. in Biology with a minor in Linguistics and a J.D.  I've run PCRs (for the biologists in the thread :) ) and Noam Chomsky guest-lectured for a day in my Intro to Linguistics class (for Shecky :) ).  I took a fairly broad array of classes for my J.D., but the plurality of them were in Criminal Law.

Offline laura_be

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »
This is such an interested thread, don't know why I never visited ir before.

I'm not sure how to traslate exactly to the USA system, but I think this is close: I started a college degree in Accounting, I was really good at it, and it was where the money was, but it wasn't really something that made me happy. So I dropped out in the 3rd semester and went to persue the one thing that I have always liked, art.

So now I'm finishing the 4th year of what is a BA in Visual Arts (is kind of general knowledge of a lot of stuff art related but with more emphasis in conceptual art and history) and at the same time starting to work on my disertation. Honestly, I'm starting to panic because it's art you know. Here at least, has always been an under-developed sector. But, it's what I like *shurggs*

Currently, my disertation tutor is trying to hijack (I think that's the word) me to his side of the force, which is specialization in Art theory and critism. I'm considering that, there's only, I don't know, maybe 4 art critics around here and it's really interesting. Plus, I think I might not the artistic type after all, more the one that talks about it type.

I studied some english in elementary school, did a super fast 5 months course when I was in highschool, but most of it I learned it on the internet and actually talking to people with the dictionary at hand. I know a little of Italian, I spent a month there studying it (ok, more sightseeing *wink*). But I really want to keep learning more of that when I have the time, and German too. I'm a grammar freak in my native language, which is Spanish.

Somebody please ask Jim in the next Q&A? (since I probably won't ever get to): Murphy's role in the story, has it been planned since the beginning or has it evolved naturally over the course of the series? Is her future planned now?

DV laura_be V1.0 YR4 BK+ JB TH++ WG MC---- SH(Murphy+++++) TT--

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
I have a B.S. in Biology with a minor in Linguistics and a J.D.  I've run PCRs (for the biologists in the thread :) ) and Noam Chomsky guest-lectured for a day in my Intro to Linguistics class (for Shecky :) ).  I took a fairly broad array of classes for my J.D., but the plurality of them were in Criminal Law.

Oh, great, a lawyer. *ducks*  ;D

Chomsky... Nutjob. Freaking genius nutjob. There was a professor at South Carolina when I was starting my grad work, a gentleman named Simon Belasco. I never actually took one of his classes, but his reputation lurked around every corner and blocked all the doorways. French (well, Occitan was his true love) and linguistics were his bag. Friend of mine was chatting with him at some point. I hadn't yet had contact with Belasco, so he asked my friend about me, and apparently Belasco was a bit surprised by my, er, eclectic educational "direction" (more like "lack of direction", what with all the minors I had). That friend came to me after Belasco's next class and told me that Belasco had spent the first several minutes of that class talking about ME, saying I was a "new Noam Chomsky" simply because I hadn't limited myself to one specialization. For a second, I honestly didn't know whether I wanted to chase him down and shake his hand or punch him. :D

Nowadays, I'm coming to terms with the "nutjob" part of that.  :o
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »
Chomsky... Nutjob. Freaking genius nutjob.

Oh, I agree.  I could tell why the only classes he taught were at the graduate level, even though that was unusual on this faculty.  (Most of the biggest "names" on the faculty actually taught lower-division courses, not just undergraduate courses.)  His lecture was highly technical; if we hadn't already had a pretty solid introduction to the field, I'm sure most of the class would have been at sea.  If you want to understand his work, reading Steven Pinker is the way to go.  (I regret not being able to fit Pinker's Intro to Psychology into my schedule; he's a hell of a teacher.)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2011, 12:54:06 AM »
*In a reverent voice* Shecky, I am still more impressed with you now  :o
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2011, 01:28:17 AM »
*In a reverent voice* Shecky, I am still more impressed with you now  :o

Don't be. It came of being moderately bored and needing to fill in elective credits. :D Plus, it's not like I actually did anything with all of that behind me, unlike Chomsky. I was just curious, in need of elective credits and not wanting to take the usual Basket-Weaving 101 to fill in the gaps.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2011, 01:38:10 AM »
I don't really know if I like your credit system (it's not a critic, just an honest comment, I don't know if I would have liked it. Probably yes, as I like so many different things)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:09 AM »
I kind of like it, to be truthful. It means that you definitely have to go outside your own narrow field and see what else is out there in the world.