Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 150689 times)

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
hear hear
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
Ima gots me's some lernins to do yet, Im a senior in highschool.
I, like many others though, have a PHD in BS.
Future Education: Berklee School Of Music Production, maybe I'll major in english and graphics design at a local college or university if I get bored later in life.
"This stuff right here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
I personally find it amusing that I have a BS in marketing. HA!!
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
^
LMAO

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2011, 02:37:25 AM »
I'm about 94% through my BSc in food science, and I might go into wine science next year...mayyyyybe look at doing an MSc.
Hoping to graduate march next year, if I don't bomb out on my last 4 subjects...and it's not looking very good for a few of them ATM :(

and yes. Food science is a degree.

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
IC - your degree sounds cool to me. Is it about the science of cooking or is it more like animal nutrition? A lot of veterinarians are required to do classes in ruminant nutrition before vet school but I think your stuff sounds way more interesting then when I got to learn about silage and haylage and all that jazz.

What is wine science? Do you get to make wine, taste wine - do you then become a sommelier? That would be so cool!! I love food and wine.

I wish I had taken advantage of some of the interesting classes I could have taken when I was an undergrad all I could think about was vet school so I think I shortchanged myself on learning stuff just for the joy of learning. Now I wish I had time to audit some classes or the energy to take some on line for fun but work pretty much fills my day.

You sound like a really dedicated student and I bet you are going to be a huge success!

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2011, 07:31:01 PM »
Icecreams degree is awesome, as are the classes she has. And wine science sounds interesting.
You are a very dedicated student Icecream and I will be sending you good vibes that you pass your last 4 subjects. :)
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

MrsAWiggins05

« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2011, 01:06:26 AM »
Mr. Wiggins's degree is food science. But it's food micro, which although interesting, is disgusting.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »
Microbiology: where you learn fascinating and revolting secrets of the culinary universe, never want to eat again, and then decide you could go for a really nice smoked cheddar and a beer.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2011, 04:01:21 AM »
I remember grossing out some fellow diners once when eating mussels right after I had dissected them in a lab - they didn't appreciate my describing the anatomy of what they were eating.

On the other hand, I can always tell when I'm having dinner with fellow wildlife type people because we have no problem talking about necropsies, carcasses, and larva between mouthfuls of food.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »
*LOL*  I can talk about bringing the chicken to the table from "Cluck to Pluck" but most people won't thank me for it! 

On another note, my eldest niece put herself through art school by being a sommelier!  She got to travel Europe buying wine, and seeing all the great art! 
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2011, 07:44:13 AM »
Mr. Wiggins's degree is food science. But it's food micro, which although interesting, is disgusting.

That is interesting but the less I know about the happier I am and can enjoy food ;D
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2011, 08:12:40 AM »
The old TV show Quincy about a morgue doctor.
Used to love when he and a friend would go into another friend's bar and then proceed to talk shop being
completely unaware of the bar emptying out around them.
Actually read that a real British Morgue doctor and his associates would do the same thing to a restaurant they frequented.  Not exactly the lunch time conversation you want to be hearing over your roast beef. ::) ::)

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
IC - your degree sounds cool to me. Is it about the science of cooking or is it more like animal nutrition? A lot of veterinarians are required to do classes in ruminant nutrition before vet school but I think your stuff sounds way more interesting then when I got to learn about silage and haylage and all that jazz.

What is wine science? Do you get to make wine, taste wine - do you then become a sommelier? That would be so cool!! I love food and wine.

I wish I had taken advantage of some of the interesting classes I could have taken when I was an undergrad all I could think about was vet school so I think I shortchanged myself on learning stuff just for the joy of learning. Now I wish I had time to audit some classes or the energy to take some on line for fun but work pretty much fills my day.

You sound like a really dedicated student and I bet you are going to be a huge success!
It's like the structure of food how to preserve it, sensory (tasting etc) and that , we do biochem, organic chem, analytical chem , chemmat and stats papers. ATM my last papers are human nutrition, food micro , food preservation and product development, actually I'm trying a coconut ice cream recipe right now for that course. Anyway wine science it's studying the wine looking at how it develops, how certain flavours/aromas form and involves making your own wine (even better is it's on Waiheke island on the univeristy's newly acquired winery!), apparently people with this degree are sort after in places like California, I told mum this, she said if I ever went to america she'd slip drugs into my bag as I boarded the plane.

Microbiology: where you learn fascinating and revolting secrets of the culinary universe, never want to eat again, and then decide you could go for a really nice smoked cheddar and a beer.
Yip, Doing food micro right now. Beer's a safe bet I think, or at least it was the safer alternative back in the middle ages. Actually I'm on the topic of beer right now for micro, learning how to make it, the difference between lagers and ales etc.
That is interesting but the less I know about the happier I am and can enjoy food ;D
This is very true, I mean you would'nt want to know about the haemorrhgic diarrhea and possible kidney pailure from E.coli O157:H7 poisoning (and worse the O104:H4 fromthe bean sprouts in Germany) which happens when faeces come in contact with your food. It might ruin your eating experience next time you don't wash your lettuce properly. >:)

Offline DoTArchon

• Posty McPostington
  • Lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
It might ruin your eating experience next time you don't wash your lettuce properly. >:)

Thanks for that... I'm never eating salad again  ;)