Author Topic: How different is Britain as a setting for the Dresden Files?  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How different is Britain as a setting for the Dresden Files?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
A good starting point for a mystic Britain could be Kate Griffin's Matthew Swift series (it starts with 'A Madness of Angels').  Her setting isn't the DV (no Wardens, different types of magic users, lots of spirit and 'gods') but it does use mystic themes that fit well in Britain.

And the books are well researched.  For example, until I read the most recent one I had never heard of the Mohock (sometimes spelled Mohawk) attacks in London.  Seeing a reference to them sent me to wiki where I learned that there was a gang by that name roving London - possibly made up of bored rich boys because it never robbed its victims.  The Mohocks were into beating, mutilations, and raping woman but they never took money - a history fact that begs for a supernatural explanation. Kate Griffin gave one, but another would probably exist in the DV.

As for CC cameras, anything that can glamour or has a human seeming wouldn't be bothered by them and the operators would soon get used to how CCs keep going down around supernaturally charged places.  "Cameras 45 - 49 are always going on the blink; maybe some weird magnet field from the power lines?" - would be the normal reaction, but you could have a PC who monitored the cameras and who had seen too much to ignore (a bit like Butters' backstory).

Richard

Richard

Offline mremann

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • City On The River
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
Bristol has been large city from the 13th Century onwards and an important port historically, it was England's third or fourth largest city when the Black death struck in 1348-9.  Today it has a fairly good university and two professional football teams.  What sort of information are you looking for?

I'm a local, one of the reason why I choose Bristol ;D

edit: Two good Universities actually, don't forget U.W.E.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:28:01 PM by mremann »

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 01:16:58 AM »
As for CC cameras, anything that can glamour or has a human seeming wouldn't be bothered by them and the operators would soon get used to how CCs keep going down around supernaturally charged places.  "Cameras 45 - 49 are always going on the blink; maybe some weird magnet field from the power lines?" - would be the normal reaction, but you could have a PC who monitored the cameras and who had seen too much to ignore (a bit like Butters' backstory).

Still worth making note of though.  Not all characters are mortal practitioners and they're pretty much the only ones who have issues with tech.  A werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's, for instance, could easily be seen to have perfect hair.

Also, the word football can inspire about the same levels of insane silliness in GB as it does in west Texas, though they're admittedly highly different definitions of the word.  White Court influence?
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »
Don't forget about class it is important in the UK and would probably be even more important in the supernatural world.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »
I so would love to play in a gamer at all and one set in Britain would be very cool. I could be a Yankee Wizard or something Yankee and play up all manner of stereotypes of yanks
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 01:14:51 AM »
Are the Matthew Swift books available across the pond?
Bad typists untie!!!!

NicholasQuinn

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 11:12:52 AM »
They are being sold on the UK Amazon, so one would assume so. However I've not been to any book shops recently, so I can't say if they're easy to come by locally.

Edit: Wait, that depends which "across the pond" ya mean. I've done a quick search, and can also find them on Amazon.com. So I assume either way, they are.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:14:29 AM by NicholasQuinn »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
Are the Matthew Swift books available across the pond?

I believe that they are written (and first published) in the UK but available in North America.  The first two are in paperback while the third is in hardcover.

Richard

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 03:08:35 AM »
As an American having just returned from Britain i can tell you that the differences can be both non-existent and jarring at the same time.
As has been previously mentioned there is tons of history there going waaaaay back, but its one thing to mention it but another entirely to see it in action. The biggest difference that struck me while wandering through London is how architecture could change from one building to the next, though the buildings are shoulder to shoulder. One Building could be a brand-spanking new architectural wonder, the next could be a marvel from the 18th century.
Now take that and imagine the mentality of living in and amongst that kind of living history. Imagine the kind of supernatural creatures roaming around the alleys and sewers etc...not to mention the Spirits...ye-gads, can you imagine what the English spirit world must be like? I don't think a real ectomancer would last terribly long!
Something else to consider is the general politeness with which people treat each other. Sure Britain today has progressed far beyond the days of Victorian up-tightness, but rudeness is still not well-tolerated so interactions will tend to be far more civilized...i.e. I forsee a lot more social combat.
And for story-telling purposes don't forget the aristocracy, betcha they have a few wizards in their ranks, but here's another idea, what if they had their own Secret Society? An Accorded Society they kept hidden from even the White Council, maybe one founded on the tenets of Alestier Crowley?
The good thing about England is there is SO much to work with you won't run out of storyline anytime soon, the bad news is that it will likely be dark most of the time...lots of OLD history.
Also keep in mind that Britain, or at least Scotland, is the home of the White Council, so their influence will likely be strongest there.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Shw

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 06:45:59 AM »
I'm a local, one of the reason why I choose Bristol ;D

edit: Two good Universities actually, don't forget U.W.E.

A local? In Brizzle or just outside? (I live in Bath).
Are you planning to include any of Bristols ghosts? When I lived in Clifton I heard some great stories about Blackboy Hill and I *swear* I saw something ghostly down by the docks one night, near the Louisiana - which is also supposed to be haunted.
Theres also some good legends about fairies in Bath, and the city in built on two ley lines. If you want more info, PM me :)

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the BBC show Skins set in Bristol?  Some of the underground club/drug scenes could definitely be under the sway of the White Court, and/or some of the more malicious fae.

Also, even though (or perhaps especially though) you're a Bristol native, it would certainly be worthwhile to go have a look at the local tourist office and any local historical societies.  You're liable to find out bits of local history and lore which you were ignorant of.

A case in point, I'm (more or less) a Connecticut native, in an area where some of the oldest English speaking settlements were founded.  Despite having grown up in the area, I was completely unaware that one of the settlements, now known internationally as the City of New Haven and home to Yale University, had a series of four coastal fortifications built to defend the harbor.  Or that the oldest fortification, now lost, was built ~1658, or that two of the fortifications were actually used in battle (against the British of all people ;)).  By interesting coincidence, the site is now reportedly haunted...

Given how much older the Bristol is, given the evidence of Iron Age hill forts in the area and the fact that the Bristol suburb of Sea Mills was known to the Romans as Portus Abonae suggests that there is plenty of local color available if you dig deep enough.  In some cases, literally.

Speaking in more general terms, what you might want to do is find, or choose a few key Aspects for you version of Bristol, and then decide which supernatural faction or factions best work with, or represent those Aspects.

As we have already seen from the novels, the Red Court for instance has a strong hold on Latin America and parts of Africa, while the Black Court used to have influence in parts of Central and Eastern Europe, and the White Court has/had some tie to Italy.  If there are particular local neighborhoods within Bristol which might cater to those particular populations, or have a reputation for activities which might seem to be the work of the Red Court for instance, have a tie-in, things like that.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline mremann

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • City On The River
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »
A local? In Brizzle or just outside? (I live in Bath).
Are you planning to include any of Bristols ghosts? When I lived in Clifton I heard some great stories about Blackboy Hill and I *swear* I saw something ghostly down by the docks one night, near the Louisiana - which is also supposed to be haunted.
Theres also some good legends about fairies in Bath, and the city in built on two ley lines. If you want more info, PM me :)

Local born and bred. Yes I am planning on using some of the ghost stories about Bristol, got several books on the subject. I have found researching Bristol to be quite interesting and I have learned quite about the history and folklore which I didn't really know about before. The tale of Goram and Vincent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goram_and_Vincent)
 has to be the most interesting thing that I found out (Vincent will be appearing as an NPC) about Bristol.

Offline princeearwig

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »
London local so can give some insights into the capital at least.
The city is literally an international melting pot. It has more "little italy's", "China Towns", "Homberg Highways" and "Metropolitan Mecca's" than almost any other major city.
So not just the history (both native and imported through imperial 'theft' and immigration) but you can cherry pick the perfect stereotyped cultural nemesis or bad guy of your choice.
The city is equally well developed below the ground as well. Not the most up to date and modern, but certainly one of the most complex subterranean transport networks.
You have closed stations, an entire rail network "just" for the postal service, a line for Harrods, complete MOD war tunnels, old stops, new stops, forgotten stops.
Victorian sewer tunnels, some of which are so badly clogged that they haven't been cleaned in decades.
A water ring main that you can literally ride a bike down (although it is now full floor to ceiling with water), at least 7 natural rivers that got forced underground simply by the virtue of being build over.

Place names that could act as aspects all on their own.
"Blackheath", "Piccadilly Circus", "Seven Sisters", "The Houses of Parliament", "Traitors Gate", "Centre Point"

More museums than you can possibly see in one day, but the range of types of venue within spitting distance from each other is the best thing.

You're never more than 10 meters away from a rat. Which would make a wonderful regional aspect.

For a truly wonderful presentation of a British supernatural mythoi you should try Gaiman's Neverwhere. Even the horridly shot tv mini series is worth watching.

I think the biggest thing that would diverge a DV UK from DV US would be the sheer weight of history. History coupled with tradition, the powers that be would be "hellishly" well embedded in the status quo.

Just my two penneth

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 11:45:34 PM »
"The difference between America and England is that Americans think 100 years is a long time, while the English think 100 miles is a long way." --Earle Hitchner

As others have noted, Britain would have a more expanded sense of time, and a more constricted sense of space than the U.S.

Offline Vargo Teras

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 06:01:04 AM »
Also, the word football can inspire about the same levels of insane silliness in GB as it does in west Texas, though they're admittedly highly different definitions of the word.  White Court influence?
I do like the idea of a Wrath-feeding vampire as a football hooligan.