Poll

If a player wants a power analogous to Evocation/Thaumaturgy/Rituals/Channelling with new skills and trappings to replace Conviction, Discipline and/or Lore, would you:

re-skin the power with new Skills and Trappings, but make it cost the same as the base spellcasting power
7 (70%)
re-skin the power, but charge a Stunt for each Skill/Trapping substitution needed
0 (0%)
treat the power like Channelling or Rituals, but charge an extra point for each in order to allow the player to switch around which skills to use for "spellcasting"
2 (20%)
something else
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Poll: Evocation and Thaumaturgy Analogues: Stunt or Reskin?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Poll: Evocation and Thaumaturgy Analogues: Stunt or Reskin?
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:41:51 AM »
Sometimes in this system, you want a character or creature to be able to do a wide variety of things - analogous to Evocation and Thaumaturgy - but not exactly.

Some ideas that have come up on the boards:

Pseudo-science
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28519.0.html

Music Magic
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25956.msg1105617.html#msg1105617

In each of these situations, one could take Evocation and Thaumaturgy (or the lesser options Channeling or Rituals) and re-skin them. One necessary component most people want to do is to change which skills are used to govern them: what substitutes for Conviction, Discipline and Lore? Craftsmanship, Resources and Knowledge make sense for a scientist; Presence and Performance seem right for a Bardic type.

What I'm curious about is whether or not the community would prefer to:
A) re-skin the Evocation/Thaumaturgy/Rituals/Channeling with new skills and trappings, but make it cost the same
(so 6 points for a completely re-skinned version of Evocation and Thaumaturgy)

B) re-skin the Evocation/Thaumaturgy/Rituals/Channeling with new skills and trappings, but charge 1 Stunt for each Skill/Trapping substitution
(so, 7, 8 or possibly 9 points for Evocation, Thaumaturgy and stunts to switch out 1-3 of the original spellcasting Skills)

C) treat their niche ability like Rituals and/or Channeling, but charge +1 Refresh for the option to switch out the Skills and Trappings which govern it use
(so 6 points for a completely re-skinned version of Rituals and Channeling that uses whatever spellcasting skills make sense)

D) Something else
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:56:52 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation and Thaumaturgy Analogues: Stunt or Reskin?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 02:49:24 AM »
I put my vote for "re-skin at same cost" - but I'd like to qualify that with: it depends on the situation.

For example, one NPC I statted had scary sponsored earth magic that ran off of fists and endurance (instead of discipline and conviction).  That, I charged extra refresh for, because it's just worth that.

On the other hand, I've got a PC with rituals re-flavored as hyper-technology, and is based on craftsmanship instead of lore.  That came in with no price change, since, well, craftsmanship just isn't the most useful of skills to start with.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:03:20 AM »
Something else.

Evocation and thaumaturgy can have their casting skills moved around with stunts, as long as they still need 3 skills to cast.

Sponsored Magic can have whatever casting skills seem appropriate. It's part of the benefit grab-bag that all sponsors provide.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 03:04:36 AM »
I was going to write pretty much what wyvern did. Most of the time, it just changes the flavour of how the character treats his magic. However, if he is substituting combat skills for his casting skills, I would charge him extra. If you have a high fists skill for your casting ability, it is just too convenient to have it, when you are cut of from your magic. However, something like that should be tied into the character concept deep enough, that it should be ok. I don't think I would charge extra for endurance instead of conviction, but I would make casting stress physical as a drawback.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:48:09 AM »
I was going to write pretty much what wyvern did. Most of the time, it just changes the flavour of how the character treats his magic. However, if he is substituting combat skills for his casting skills, I would charge him extra. If you have a high fists skill for your casting ability, it is just too convenient to have it, when you are cut of from your magic. However, something like that should be tied into the character concept deep enough, that it should be ok. I don't think I would charge extra for endurance instead of conviction, but I would make casting stress physical as a drawback.

I'd agree with that; if the change is clearly being made for flavor/storytelling reasons, then I would let it be free.  If taking it would allow for optimization, then I would make them use a stunt for it.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
I agree with the last couple posts, with one possible caveat... 3 stunts to completely swap out casting skills is a bit pricey. I might be willing to allow 1 stunt that covers swapping all 3.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »
I agree with the last couple posts, with one possible caveat... 3 stunts to completely swap out casting skills is a bit pricey. I might be willing to allow 1 stunt that covers swapping all 3.

So, for Channeling+Rituals+Reskin you would propose 5 points, and for Evocation+Thaumaturgy+Reskin you would propose 7? That may be a good compromise.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets