Author Topic: How long is a threshold invitation good for?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How long is a threshold invitation good for?
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:31:48 AM »
Can anyone clarify if a supernatural needs to be reinvited in whenever they re-enter a threshold or do they get free access after one time? cant remember anything about it from the first RPGs section on thresholds.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: How long is a threshold invitation good for?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:37:06 AM »
Can anyone clarify if a supernatural needs to be reinvited in whenever they re-enter a threshold or do they get free access after one time? cant remember anything about it from the first RPGs section on thresholds.

I go with: It lasts until it would be more fun if it ran out or until the end of the session.  Unless it's crystal clear that it's a standing invitation.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:01:55 AM »
In a recent novel a character who had been invited in left a threshold and could not re-enter. I think they'd been inside for a day at that point but not sure. Don't have it with me. If someone else wants to add details, spoiler tags are probably in order.

From a practical game point of view, Buzzard's idea is probably the best way to go.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:15:12 AM »
Your invite should last until you decide you change your mind.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
I'd go with: it lasts as long as it's intended to last.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
I'd go with: it lasts as long as it's intended to last.

I like this the best.  Unless you're giving a standing invitation (as The Mighty Buzzard said).  When I welcome people over to my house, I invite them in every time.  There are certain people, like really good friends and extended family, who can walk in without the formality of being invited in.  I think you can also withdraw invitations as well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:37:22 PM by Taran »

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
I like this the best.  Unless you're giving a standing invitation (as The Mighty Buzzard said).  When I welcome people over to my house, I invite them in every time.  There are certain people, like really good friends and extended family, who can walk in without the formality of being invited in.  I think you can also withdraw invitations as well.

I'd go with this, adding the fact that Harry doesn't have to invite Thomas or Molly in every time. I know he has a shitty Threshold, but these people are closest to him and that is what counts. What just hit me, though, is the fact that they both have keys and means to undo the wards, so I guess if you give out your key to someone or something, with intention, then they should be able to enter until you retract the invitation.

I would compare it to inviting in someone on business, like the pizza boy or the plumber ('My, what a large tool you have...') Anyhoo... they do their job and leave. They won't just come back in without an invitation. Unless they're creepy serial killers, but that's besides the point. I feel intent counts.

Offline Onkel Thorsen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »
Good calls, those.

They made me wonder, however, if one can actively withdraw an invitation once it's given?
DV Geek code:

DV Onkel_Thorsen V1.2 YR3 FR(M)0.xx(0) BK++(--) RP++++ JB- TH++ WG+(!) CL+ SW BC- MC---- SH[Murphy++(+++), Lea+, Molly--(+++)]

I have the rank of Focused Practitioner
My Dresden Files purity rating is 33.6%

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
Good calls, those.

They made me wonder, however, if one can actively withdraw an invitation once it's given?

Offhand, I'd say yes and no.  Yes if you do it before they cross the threshold.  No if they've already crossed the threshold.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
I'd actually go for yes and maybe.  Because, well, someone with true faith should darned well be able to drive off or weaken things with "You are no longer welcome here."  A wizard with a good conviction might be able to do similar - though I'd consider charging them a fate point for it.  Ordinary people?  Probably not so much.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:24:20 PM »
I'd actually go for yes and maybe.  Because, well, someone with true faith should darned well be able to drive off or weaken things with "You are no longer welcome here."  A wizard with a good conviction might be able to do similar - though I'd consider charging them a fate point for it.  Ordinary people?  Probably not so much.

I like this.  I wonder if the "rules of hospitality" apply here.  If you invite someone in to your house, then there are certain obligations by both host and guest.  I could see that if a guest does something to warrant retracting an invitation, it might be easier to do so.  On the other hand, I don't think you can use a threshold as a trap.  "hey, come on in!"  then suddenly, "I revoke my invitation!  And now you are powerless against me!  Moi-ha-ha!"  But in either case, I like using conviction to retract an invitation - almost like using the threshold in the same way you would use a holy symbol against a vampire.

The only issue I have with allowing you to retract an invite after the creature/person has crossed the threshold is it takes away the scariness of "accidently" inviting something BAD into your house....so maybe really limiting it to certain situations like the ones wyvern pointed out. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:26:43 PM by Taran »

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
I'd say once you are across the threshold you don't need an invite to stay, only to return. Driving off things that are already inside your house with a "Get thee hence!" is totally doable. It's called a banishment.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
I like this.  I wonder if the "rules of hospitality" apply here.
I thought about that too but it doesn't really jive with canonical examples.  If you could rescind an invitation because of a violation of the laws of hospitality, I don't think we'd see the same level of paranoia about inviting something using the form of a friend in.  Don't mean it's not possible, just that I don't consider it probable.

The only issue I have with allowing you to retract an invite after the creature/person has crossed the threshold is it takes away the scariness of "accidently" inviting something BAD into your house....so maybe really limiting it to certain situations like the ones wyvern pointed out.

Nah, I prefer to keep my holy types and wizards on their toes too.  They already get enough breaks against the supernatural.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
At first I thought that a invitation should be withdrawn anytime, but only by the person who invited someone in. Problem is it seems a little bit illogical when you think about it for a moment.

Hence:
Once  the invited bad boy is over the threshold that's it. No backsies on invitations. At least to me that is what the canon has to say on this. Otherwise there would have been some situations where a certain wizard would have chucked away a perfectly good advantage
(click to show/hide)
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!