Author Topic: Solo Campaign // Neutral Grounds  (Read 912 times)

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Solo Campaign // Neutral Grounds
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »
Hello Community,

i will start (trying) to run a solo campaign for my girlfriend tomorrow. We will take the Baltimore Setting and i will run neutral grounds for her.
Does anyone of you have experience with DFRPG Solo ? It should emulate the books quiet nicely actually so i have no idea why it should not work ? Any tips on running the adventure ?

That is her character :

HC : Little Master of potions (half fey potion baker)
Trouble : A lot of help for even small problems (can't refuse to help people)

Aspects (only two so far, the others will come out during the sessions i hope)

I wish i could fly (finds herself in situations she wishes she could get out of. also : she is quite fast)
little deals with little folk (has good contacts to the little folk and they get her materials for her potions)

Skills :

+5 Lore
+4 Discipline, Endurance, Guns
+3 Athletics, Contacts, Conviction
+2 Empathy, Ressources, Survival
+1 Alertness, Burglary, Presence

Stunts

Magic baker (swap Lore for Craftmanship)
Thaumaturgy
Glamours

Start Refresh 4

I don't know if having a gun and 4 +5 potions will be enough to save her but well... it was her decision
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Campaign // Neutral Grounds
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
This is general advice as I haven't run DFRPG yet. But I have run solo games.

One thing that I think helps is giving them a companion that they can interact with easily. A solo game is going to focus pretty heavily on the lone PC for obvious reasons. Giving them an ally to talk to lets your player still play the game while they're trying to solve a puzzle. The challenge with an ally character is making them seem more like a friend who has their own strengths, weaknesses and areas of knowledge rather than a GM plant to periodically wave around a "Plot this way -->" sign. The player can also help you design this NPC by including them in their story if you do the usual character creation route before play starts.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Campaign // Neutral Grounds
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:00:05 AM »
Ignoring the actual question of the thread for a moment, I think that there are one or two minor problems with that character.

First of all, she seems to lack a thaumaturgical specialization. She could get an extra use or an  additional point of power out of her items with that.

Second, her stunt is too broad. You can't swap an entire skill. If it's just for cooking, then it's fine. (Although I would put cooking under Performance normally.)

If this is unwelcome, feel free to ignore it.