Author Topic: Tagging a Taken Out Result  (Read 1916 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Tagging a Taken Out Result
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
I was wondering by the RAW is it legal to tag the taken out result of an enemy, so could a troll scion tag the taken out result of 'torn in two' on one of the enemy to gain a free +2 bonus to scare the rest of the enemy or could someone invoke the 'willing slave' taken out result (incite obedience) to gain a free mook for the rest of the fight etc.   
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Tagging a Taken Out Result
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:30:01 PM »
I'd say yes to the second option (free mook) but I'd charge a Fate Point in addition to the free tag if the mook was going to contribute significantly to your side of the ensuing conflict.

The first option seems plausible as well, but I fear it may be sidestepping the game economy by appropriating an NPC's Aspect to use as one's own against a different NPC.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
My inclination is that taking something out does not in itself create an aspect to be tagged (so no), but could be a justification to create an aspect via a maneuver or declaration.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:21:21 PM »
In general no, though such could be negotiated to be part of the taken out result if the table (i.e. GM plus other players) deems it reasonable.  (Which I'd think is unlikely, but could happen.)

However, see also the overflow rules on YS214 - if you have, say, three shifts more than you needed to take out the target, it might be reasonable to re-direct those towards a maneuver or something.  Again, though, this is something that would need to be adjudicated by the table, and may or may not be appropriate in any given situation.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
My inclination is that taking something out does not in itself create an aspect to be tagged (so no), but could be a justification to create an aspect via a maneuver or declaration.

My opinion pretty much. A taken out result does not automatically result in an aspect and therefore can not be tagged. If however it seems reasonable that the taken out result created an aspect, this aspect could be used as usual.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »
I would have thought at the very least killing somebody would create the scene aspect 'dead body' and that killing the big bad of any group of enemies right in front of their eyes would also have an effect (aspect) all to itself. But I suppose all these things could easily be dealt with by declarations (with an appropriate skill roll) and as declarations are free actions I can get the effect I want within the system.   
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »
In general no, though such could be negotiated to be part of the taken out result if the table (i.e. GM plus other players) deems it reasonable.  (Which I'd think is unlikely, but could happen.)

However, see also the overflow rules on YS214 - if you have, say, three shifts more than you needed to take out the target, it might be reasonable to re-direct those towards a maneuver or something.  Again, though, this is something that would need to be adjudicated by the table, and may or may not be appropriate in any given situation.

This.

I'd say give yourself a temporary aspect, namely "Spattered in their friend's blood", "eyes lit with hideous glee", or even "dramatic pose", and tag it for the bonus to intimidate.
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »
Per RAW, being taken out does not create an aspect. However, as had been said already, it's definitely grounds for a manoeuvre or assessment. Remember that assessments are "free" rolls that don't take up your turn. That means you can assess the enemies state of mind with a quick empathy roll, and tag the aspect assessed either for effect or to boost your next roll against them.
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
Per RAW, being taken out does not create an aspect. However, as had been said already, it's definitely grounds for a manoeuvre or assessment. Remember that assessments are "free" rolls that don't take up your turn. That means you can assess the enemies state of mind with a quick empathy roll, and tag the aspect assessed either for effect or to boost your next roll against them.

No, Declarations are the free actions. Assessments always have a time index (which *can* be "free action").

Ultimately, they are all the same: make a roll or spend a Fate Point to create an Aspect.

The GM is further empowered to make such rolls ridiculously easy - or waive a roll entirely - based on how cool/creative/etc. the Declaration/Maneuver/Assessment would be.

In this case, the player could Declare that the minions are affected by the fall of their leader and ask to establish the Aspect "Don't Want None, Won't Be None." The GM could then say "Well, you pretty thoroughly ROFLstomped their leader, so make an Intimidate roll of at least 0 and you've got a free Aspect to tag on your Intimidate check.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
What Devonapple said. I knew one of 'em was a free action.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 02:31:36 AM »
I'd call that spin, but if you wanted to intentionally take someone out so horrifically that it created an aspect for you to tag, I'd let you increase the difficulty of your attack by three shifts to do it. Or I guess you could desecrate the corpse as a separate action to create the aspect.