Author Topic: Beta Readers; When, How, and Safety  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Beta Readers; When, How, and Safety
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »
I love the idea of Beta Readers, and with my first book over halfway done I was considering have a couple friends read it chapter by chapter to critique and inform me if the story, pace, and ideas are good. But being that this is my first time, I'm not sure how to go about it.

My one buddy who is also writing is planning on waiting until he finishes the book entirely, but I'm taking the approach of sending one chapter at a time, that way I can still be in the writing/editting phase if any problems arise.

-When do you think it's a good time to send out your work?

As for sending the work itself, there are so many options in this day and age, but even though I would only ask friends I trust, I can't say that the trust is 100%, so that begs the question:

-How do I keep my work safe? I thought of printing out one copy of chapter one, sending it to the first reader, then have them send it back, then send it to the second reader, and so on until I get the copy returned to me. Obviously scanners and copiers exist but that seems the safest bet when handling a physical manuscript. I could consider sending a CD  with the document locked so it can't be copied or printed, but reading off a computer might turn some readers off. Still that almost seems a good bet security-wise.

Any opinions or advice are appreciated. I know I have a couple chapters that, to me and my wife, are pretty much done and look really good. But how many readers should I ask for, 3? And what can I do to protect my work? Or should I wait until I'm completely done with my book, copyright it somehow then ask for beta readers? Thanks guys.  :D
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
Re: Beta Readers; When, How, and Safety
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:52:32 AM »
In terms of copyrighting? Well, that you would have a hard copy of it on your computer, presumably notes scribbled in notebooks, and possibly some text messages/emails to confirm you sent it to these individuals - I'd say the likelihood of you getting ripped off is pretty nil.

As far as how you're doing it - everyone is different. Having a muse to keep you going can be the difference between burning out halfway through and burning out after its finished. I'm an egomaniac, so having constant praise is what keeps me going sometimes. I have at least a half dozen unfinished novels somewhere on my PC because at some point that praise had dried up and I moved on to something else.

Chapter by chapter should be fine - granted you're moving at a considerable clip with the writing yourself so that the beta reader is never behind. On the downside, if the beta reader suggests a major change which requires a major re-write, it can be hard to say no. Just depends on what your convictions are like. If you feel you have a great story with a great hook and a great flow - then send it out early. If not, wait until its done. That way, despite the readers reservations, they can see where you're eventually going with your ideas - which informs their suggestions better.