Author Topic: How to stat a building or vehicle  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Jedrak

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How to stat a building or vehicle
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
I'm working on stating a vehicle and building for my charachter who's a supernatural merc. The vehicle is based on an real world para-military vehicle that has ballistic armor, internal NBC air filtration, blast guards on the bottom... etc. There's no rules on stating items liek this so any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 05:59:12 PM by Jedrak »

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How to stat a building or vehicle
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:58:14 PM »
Uh... simply use it's real-world stats. If it's designed to stop small arms fire, Armor:2 to occupants... if more, then more.
Top speed is... well, it's top speed.
Cost is probably prohibitive, and probably should be.
Air Filtration System sounds like an aspect that can be FP'd to automatically resist most chemical/biological attacks of a non-pervasive, non-supernatural nature, and a +2 bonus vs anything particularly aggressive... and so on for anything similar.

Apply a relatively high burglary DC for breaking into or hotwiring the car, on the assumption that it's got better-than-normal locks and alarm systems... and you should be done.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
Yeah, what RedThorn said, although you would probably want to add an aspect referring to it if it's that important to your character concept. Then, any time that part of its systems would be applicable - boom! Spend a Fate Point and it's part of the narrative!

This is one of the core components of the system, really. You don't need to think in a simulationist view about anything. Your guiding viewpoint when figuring out how to do something is more "how will this affect the narrative" or "what effect will this have on the narrative" and then you go from there.

So, throw in real-world stats where applicable and an aspect on your character sheet and you should be good. Armor:2 if inside - and everything else seems to fall under the aspect.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:34:45 AM »
And, if it is 'super-powerful' and comes into play quite often, perhaps you could consider paying a point of Refresh for it, I'd guess...

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:52:32 AM »
Yeah, if you REALLY have to have some more umph to it, you might want to consider attaching a bunch of stunts to it and treating it like an Item of Power, basically. I don't think you'd have to lose your Pure Mortal bonus, but you could probably attach 3 or so stunts to it and get a +2 rebate or some such jazz like that. It would still be more or less in line ...

Seriously though. Aspect. Have lots of Fate Points. Win.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »
I don't think an aspect and some stunts is enough, personally.

So I (and some other people) made some vehicle rules.

Link: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24744.15.html