Author Topic: I am Iron Man  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
I am Iron Man
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
Re: I am Iron Man
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »
One of your Stunts "Hardwere iz Heavy" should include the line "When in the Iron Man Suit". Otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
Well yea, meant to say its ~1 ton of metal in there, a punch from that will hurt more than tickle.
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
Are you sure the math is right on the suit? I have it adding up to -9, which doesn't seem to fit the 30 skill points.

Richard

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »
10 refresh and 30 skillpoints is submerged right?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:04:26 PM »
No, it's 10 refresh and 35 skill points.

Richard

Offline TitaniumMan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »
There should be an aspect related to building things out of scraps inside poorly-lit locations.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 04:17:46 AM »
Which version of Iron Man was vulnerable to electricity?
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Adin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »
My understanding is that the Item of Power one time discount is intended to reflect the fact that the item is not on all the time, therefore taking Human Form on top of that is rather redundant.

Other than that it looks great!

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:36:17 AM »
i chose electricity because there has to be something and electronics are vulnerable to emp and shortcircuits and overloading

you just draw the weapon and use it, the suit takes like....maybe 5 exchanges to put on. i was thinking of the version in briefcase form.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
My understanding is that the Item of Power one time discount is intended to reflect the fact that the item is not on all the time, therefore taking Human Form on top of that is rather redundant.

Other than that it looks great!

Moreso that the accompanying powers can be removed if the item is taken / lost / otherwise rendered inaccessible.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
It's not really an 'Item of Power' in that he can always pull out a spare if one gets damaged/lost.  It might be reasonable to take Human Form at +2, however, because while making the change is not rare or involuntary, it does take an exceptionally long time (compared to the default of a supplemental action) and is not possible if he doesn't have access to the suit.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 03:43:06 AM »
It's not really an 'Item of Power' in that he can always pull out a spare if one gets damaged/lost.  It might be reasonable to take Human Form at +2, however, because while making the change is not rare or involuntary, it does take an exceptionally long time (compared to the default of a supplemental action) and is not possible if he doesn't have access to the suit.

I think that the opposite should happen in that there shouldn't be any Human Form at all. Human Form is made to help offset the fact that shape shifters can't use the majority of their powers in human form and your Item of Power discount should already cover the fact that you can't always have the suit on. Remember that most people with Items of Power can only physically use them for certain purposes, since Stark has no such limitation the fact that he has to take time to put it on and take it off makes up for this. The discount from Item of Power is dependent on how obvious it is to detect so the discount (+1 or +2) depends on your perceptive. On one hand when Stark is actually using the suit is is incredibly obvious, but if you are transporting in a suitcase than it will be almost indistinguishable from a normal suitcase so it's up to debate on what the discount should be. In my opinion +2 is fine, but I can see the argument for a lesser discount. I also think that Mythic toughness is too powerful. Mythic toughness is territory only tromped by beings like Ferrovax and Superman, I think you can get away with the armor but six extra physical stress just, again, seems like too much. I think the "It is what is is" part of Items of Power covers the armor, just make it an armor 3 and add the "No pain no gain" stunt to get an extra mild consequence when wearing the suit. I would also reword the catch a bit too, but I understand your concept. And remember that catches don't stack (except for Physical Immunity) so even though it is common and easy to research you would still only get a +2 catch.

I know it sounds like I have nothing but criticisms but I really do like the character overall and most of my "complaints" are personal opinion and am fully willing to concede many of them to other arguments. On I side note I wish there was another step in between Supernatural and Mythic powers for situations exactly like this. Stark's suit is fully capable of deflecting most (if not all) hand held weapons with no difficulty (I haven't read hardly any Iron Man comics but I imagine well placed fifty caliber shots doing at least some damage), but the fact that Mythic Toughness is practically reserved for the supernatural heavyweights makes me hesitant of letting any PC get hold of them. I especially like your stunts replacing the fighting trappings with Scholarship and Craftsmanship, it makes sense for story wise and saves valuable skill points. I think that making the suit an Item of Power was clever as it is essentially indestructible as Stark can just get a new one the next game (if not sooner depending on where he is).

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 05:31:03 AM »
its not immune to damage, and i needed that extra point from human form :D plus a fat catch. iron man is plot level strong.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
You should really change the Catch from simply electricity. EMP might or magnetism might work, but Tony Stark would really look like a douche if he forgot to ground his suit, so that the internal electronics would fry with ease. Any piece of electronics is meant to operate at a certain voltage/amperage, throw a few more of either in the mix and it goes 'poof!'

Perhaps, like in the movies, you could throw in (extreme) cold as a Catch (though he worked around that one eventually...)