Author Topic: mixed physical/mental/social toughness/recovery powers and catches  (Read 1662 times)

Offline alisbin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Hey Mates,
I'm doing some character design for a modified DFRPG game (too many mods to go into here so lets try to keep this on topic, essentially we're emulating a D&D world using fate since we like the system better) and one of the characters will almost certainly end up with physical and mental versions of inhuman recovery (social too maybe but that's still undecided). so my question is, since a catch for one likely won't be able to affect another, is it reasonable to allow the separate catches to grant refresh rebates (example; physical catch= silver, mental catch = illusions, social catch =  logical arguments)? i'm still undecided on the issue so all opinions are welcome.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: mixed physical/mental/social toughness/recovery powers and catches
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
Before going into that, I am very curious about how you envision such recovery powers? What makes you recover from mental trauma quicker in your view?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
...so my question is, since a catch for one likely won't be able to affect another, is it reasonable to allow the separate catches to grant refresh rebates (example; physical catch= silver, mental catch = illusions, social catch =  logical arguments)?
I'd keep it as one catch to allow for some crossover.  (An illusion of a silvered sword for example.)  I would consider raising the catch value by one or two though...after all, it's becoming much broader.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline alisbin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
@masurao, the character in question is an extremely powerful telepath and a long practiced diplomat. healing his mind is no different to him then a healer mending a wound. recovering from social consequences comes easier since he can manipulate the opinions of others to a degree, plus he has a very resilient self image. there are other characters that may take a different combo, just assume that for the purposes of our game it fits.
i did mention that there are alot of mods inherent here, i'm just asking opinions on separate catches (with rebate) for recovery powers that affect separate stress types.

@umbralux, the examples i gave are not the actual ones the character in question is going to use, some will actually be in opposition. sometimes what you suggest will work rather well, but in one case it won't. fresh example, Physical catch: any psionic source, mental catch: arcane magic sources. the mental defense is designed to protect from psionics/torture/other and be weak to magic (the character is essentially magic blind so he can't defend against it in any special way, he doesnt understand it so he can't fix/defend against it easier then a pure mortal could) whereas the physical is designed to protect from any nonpsionic physical assault (he repairs his body using psychic energy so the attack has to disrupt that psychic energy).
as i said, there is alot of house ruling going on and it would take forever to fully explain it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:40:11 PM by alisbin »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
I would allow separate catches for each type.

I second the idea of crossover though.  Requires another type of recovery power (Physical and Mental for instance), but things that would satisfy one catch would satisfy the other as well.  Give it an additional +1 rebate.

That being said, it's important to remember that you should be able to describe how this is possible (again, stated).

Okay, so this post is just me seconding what others have said.  That means they're right, no? :P

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:52:27 PM »
@umbralux, the examples i gave are not the actual ones the character in question is going to use, some will actually be in opposition. sometimes what you suggest will work rather well, but in one case it won't. fresh example, Physical catch: any psionic source, mental catch: arcane magic sources. the mental defense is designed to protect from psionics/torture/other and be weak to magic (the character is essentially magic blind so he can't defend against it in any special way, he doesnt understand it so he can't fix/defend against it easier then a pure mortal could) whereas the physical is designed to protect from any nonpsionic physical assault (he repairs his body using psychic energy so the attack has to disrupt that psychic energy).
as i said, there is alot of house ruling going on and it would take forever to fully explain it.
I'd probably require compatible catches linked.  Doing otherwise seems too much a munchkin.  I'd listen to logical arguments otherwise, but it would be an uphill battle for the player.  YMMV
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
I would agree that compatible powers would need to be linked. Additionally I would probably -1 from the sum of nonlinked catches.
That would help reduce the nearly invulnerable for low points of refresh risk.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
Each recovery power sounds like a separate thing. Toughness Catches apply to physical Toughness. I'd give each scope of Recovery its own Catch.

It just makes more sense that way. It'll be easier to make Catches that make sense and aren't totally reaching, and powers tend to affect only one scope of Stress.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
I would allow each type of recovery/toughness to have it's own catch, but I would also say that each category's cost is calculated separately.

So, if you have Inhuman Toughness (Physical) [-2] with a +4 catch, and Supernatural Recovery (Mental) [-4] with a +1 catch.... the physical toughness costs you a net [-1] (because it bumps up against the minimum cost rules) and the mental recovery costs you net [-3].