Author Topic: List of who/what Thresholds affect?  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Re: List of who/what Thresholds affect?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
I think part of the difficulty is that - just like in real life and in the books - you can't overly broadbrush the Who's Who Can And Cannot Cross Thresholds. What is important is that whatever basis you come up with should be consistent and that it hopefully toes canon in the books. And if not... well, maybe there's a story there to be found :)

I'll continue to refine my list based on what I read over the next few weeks (I'm going to re-read the entire series again) and post the list once I get it into good form.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »
I had another thought concerning the Leansidhe's entering Harry's place without an invite: what if she entered through the Nevernever? We know that it bypasses wards and she does control the corresponding territory in the Nevernever to his place.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 07:09:09 PM »
I think the reason Lea was able to enter Harry's apartment in Changes was the debt Harry owes to Mab, who had ordered Lea to the apartment.  In theory Mab could have entered as well.

As for Butters being safe behind Murphy's threshold, I think Harry might have been, um, stretching the truth.  I'd bet that Erl could have broken in, but Harry was counting on the fact that he wouldn't go to the trouble (Chez Murphy probably has a substantial threshold after being a family dwelling for nearly a century) when he could just go about seeking other, more interesting prey. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 02:28:54 AM »
Lea is also Harry's godmother, which implies a responsibility to look out for him, which in turn might be enough to get her past the threshold in order to take out two half vampires.  Had she attacked Harry, it might have affected her more.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 04:03:24 AM »
Had she attacked Harry, it might have affected her more.

I don't think that thresholds work that way.  They stop the magic (both good and ill magic) from crossing them.  They are barriers, walls, not watch dogs.  If a serial killer happened to be in Karen Murphy's house, maybe standing over her beaten frame, then the threshold would still be there to stop/slow down any supernatural things that tried to enter.

Richard

Offline Clotho19

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 02:07:38 AM »
Honestly the reason i think lea was able to bypass the threshold is because the fae don't manifest bodies like spirits. They are flesh (of a sort), not made form ectoplasm. The fae we have seen die in the books haven't broken apart into ectoplasm like demons, spirits etc. who make bodies out of ectoplasm to manifest in our world. But they would of course lose a portion of their powers upon crossing a threshold just like wizards do.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
I can't recall any specifics, but I believe the fae -do- turn into ectoplasm after they are killed in our world. If that did not happen, the world would've been riddled with inhuman bodies after Harry and Michael were attacked at the train station in Small Favour (if I recall correctly). Of course, as I said, I can't remember specifically and I don't have the novels around right now.

Offline Clotho19

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 01:30:11 AM »
Your right, there isn't any specific concering if they are made of ectoplasm, so i guess until we know for sure it will always be conjecture either way. On the note though about how lea could have entered the threshold of harry's apartment, i was rereading the short story something borrowed today, and jenny greenteeth was able to enter the threshold of georgia and billy's apartment to kidnap georgia. And within the same story, harry comments on how their apartment has a very strong threshold. From this i can only interpret that the Fae are able to enter threshold's, but most likely lose a large portion of their power like wizards do (jenny physically attacked georgia rather than use magic on her which seems to support that she lost most of her magical oomph when she entered the threshold).

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 01:45:01 AM »
I can't recall any specifics, but I believe the fae -do- turn into ectoplasm after they are killed in our world. If that did not happen, the world would've been riddled with inhuman bodies after Harry and Michael were attacked at the train station in Small Favour (if I recall correctly). Of course, as I said, I can't remember specifically and I don't have the novels around right now.

According to Our World the fae are physical (so not made of ectoplasm) but don't leave behind human seeming bodies.  One example is a troll that when split open released a bunch of tiny trolls.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 02:53:03 AM »
Given the troll's collapse into minor trolls / parts and Toot-toot's growth, I'd say there's a possibility that fae don't die on earth so much as (semi) permanently become "less" when "killed".  Not sure that follows in all the fae though...seem to remember the
(click to show/hide)
but am not certain. 
-----

I still tend to think anything physical, including ectoplasm, has the potential of crossing a threshold.  The caveat is they'll need to be strong enough to maintain physical existence in spite of losing access to metaphysical abilities.  Or at least having said metaphysical abilities reduced by the threshold's power. 

For examples, look at everything from the demon in Storm Front to various fae (Jenny & Lea at least), to
(click to show/hide)
in GS.  Also, GS seems to make it clear that some thresholds may
(click to show/hide)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 01:56:04 AM »
Fae have real bodies.  Not ectoplasm.   Can't remember the name of the book, but the one where he is being attacked by the Gruffs, Harry specifically says, within the first couple of chapters, that fae don't turn to ectoplasm.

I've been doing thresholds by reducing ANY Supernatural Powers.  Any creature that doesn't have a living body can't cross at all unless it has enough power to manifest itself and be able to hold itself together.

Offline Clotho19

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 03:14:16 AM »
Oh your right, was in small favour, start of chapter 2

"That corpse is still there. It's mostly a burned mess, but it didn't dissolve"
"Yeah," I said. "Faeries aren't wholly beings of the spirit world. They leave corpses behind.

I had a feeling it had been stated in the books, thanks for reminding me where it was Taran.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 05:32:31 AM »
Given the troll's collapse into minor trolls / parts and Toot-toot's growth, I'd say there's a possibility that fae don't die on earth so much as (semi) permanently become "less" when "killed".  Not sure that follows in all the fae though...seem to remember the
(click to show/hide)
but am not certain. 
-----

I still tend to think anything physical, including ectoplasm, has the potential of crossing a threshold.  The caveat is they'll need to be strong enough to maintain physical existence in spite of losing access to metaphysical abilities.  Or at least having said metaphysical abilities reduced by the threshold's power. 

For examples, look at everything from the demon in Storm Front to various fae (Jenny & Lea at least), to
(click to show/hide)
in GS.  Also, GS seems to make it clear that some thresholds may
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.