Author Topic: The truth about Fitz  (Read 59119 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
  Honesty is basic to morality my friend.

That depends on the morality.  It certainly seems to be basic for Faerie.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline JessE

• Posty McPostington
  • I'd rather be a musician than a rockstar ~George H
    • View Profile
Hey, it's Emma Stone!
Just switched to Pink! XD

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
That depends on the morality.  It certainly seems to be basic for Faerie.
Is it morality if you simply cannot lie?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Is it morality if you simply cannot lie?

I am willing to think of the way in which Faerie thought and engagement with the universe is shaped by inability to lie as a morality, myself. 

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I am willing to think of the way in which Faerie thought and engagement with the universe is shaped by inability to lie as a morality, myself.
I've always seen it as a biological imperative...something forced upon them by the universe, as a counterbalance to their greater lifespan and power, and as such, not a moral choice.

Your view is interesting though.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
I have the same view than LDF
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline badassassin

• Conversationalist
  • Carlos Ramirez does it with magic... oh wait.
    • View Profile
OFF TOPIC
This is where i stand. I can do no other.
Entropy magic+ Earth magic+ sweater vests= badass assassin= badassassin

Quote from interitus:Also, Kincaid isn't exactly a Carebear,

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
As the guy who helped Serak develop his theory on the drive back from the DC signing, I can unequivicably confirm that, at the creation of the thread, there was no WoJ as to wether Fitz was cursed or not.  That statement was placed in the OP as a clue for the rest of the forumites as to who we thought his parents were.

Insofar as Fitz' red hair and pug nose, we reread Fool Moon looking for physical descriptions of McFinn and discovered that his human discription had been painted with very broad strokes, invoking everyone's personal image of a rugged mountain man without actually going into much detail.  The red hair and pug nose are treated as clues because both have become steriotypes of Irish decent, not because they match McFinn's description.

Another avenue that may or may not have been fully explored in the past 15 pages; who exactly did Saint Patrick curse?  Irish legend mentions a mage/king by the name of Finn McCool (or Finn son of Cool.)  Finn McCool was known for having preternatural wisdom when he accidentially tased the Salmon of Knowledge as an apprentice wizard and was said to have dealings with the Tuatha de Dannan.  When expanding through Europe, the Catholic church was known to attempt to discredit pagan leaders to bolster the faith of their local converts.  I find it plausible in the DV that either Finn or one of his decendants would be targeted by the church as a living reminder of benevolent (or at least powerful) forces outside of the christian pantheon.  In a move to secure the catholic faith in Ireland, St. Patrick cursed the Island's previous supernatural defender to become a ravening beast, forcing the people to turn to the church for protection.

Please keep in mind that I am in no way trying to condemn or condone  any historical actions of the catholic church.  The church of 1200 is different in many ways from the church of 2011, and I am talking about a fictional universe.
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
I've always seen it as a biological imperative...something forced upon them by the universe, as a counterbalance to their greater lifespan and power, and as such, not a moral choice.

Does morality have to entail choice ?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
OFF TOPIC

So long as it;s about the DF, it's on-topic in this forum.

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Does morality have to entail choice ?
In my opinion...yes.
Because, to me, morality is about a set of rules and values you choose to adhere, not are forced to adhere to.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Yeah, that was part of Serack's theory, in pages 1-3 of this thread.  At some later point, and I think it was in a different thread, someone alleged that JB had confirmed "Fitz is cursed" at a signing.  It's not listed in the master WoJ list, as far as I know, and could easily have been the result of Thread Telephone.

yah, the OP and I think the last post on the first page wrap up how it's not definite, but it certainly adds up.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Wait.

So what's pure speculation and what's WOJ?

If something is WOJ, when and where did it happen? Who can confirm?
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Wait.

So what's pure speculation and what's WOJ?

If something is WOJ, when and where did it happen? Who can confirm?

Word of Jim, something he said at a book signing or some other gig..  Most place that above what he wrote in his novels, some of us do not..  Not always but sometimes WOJ seems to contradict what he was getting at at the time he wrote the book.  There are those where who  keep all WOJ on record. and you can find most things that you are looking for.  Then there is the stuff that claims to be WOJ but turns out are made up out of whole cloth, urban myth, yet taken as gospel over what was written in the books.. That has lead to some really hard feelings between the what is written in the books verses WOJ crowd, until someone comes clean and says that Jim never said this or that.. Apparently Fitz is one of those hotly debated subjects.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Yeah, I get all that. The problem seems to be that part of this theory comes from Serack, the WOJ guy. But that doesn't mean it was a WOJ. It could just be fan speculation that's getting more traction because of the source. I'm waiting for someone to clarify the issue before it carries on any further. Was it a WOJ, when/where, who can confirm?
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman