Author Topic: The truth about Fitz  (Read 59069 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Didn't Jim state that Fitz was meant to be a one time character? Of course so was Butters so things can change, but all this speculation seems to revolve around him being an important character when I'm almost certain Jim states he was not.

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Fitz protects the members of his "pack". He takes the punishment his "Alpha" dishes out. He follows the lead of his alpha. What doesn't work as wolfish?
It does work as wolfish..it's very wolfish.
It's also what Harry does...to a degree.

As I said above, I think those traits could also be 'orphan' traits.
ie Fitz protects his 'family', he accepts the punishment his 'father' dishes out, he follows his 'father's' lead....

Additionally I don't recall who made the comment but what "good values" did Tera West teach the Alphas?
She taught them how to be wolves, according to Fool Moon.
I'm not sure what other 'values' are being discussed.

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Didn't Jim state that Fitz was meant to be a one time character? Of course so was Butters so things can change, but all this speculation seems to revolve around him being an important character when I'm almost certain Jim states he was not.
Yes, there's a WoJ to state that...btu this thread predates the WoJ (I think) :)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
She taught them how to be wolves, according to Fool Moon.
I'm not sure what other 'values' are being discussed.

For one thing she taught the Alphas that wolves do not act like the guys with the belts, nor do they act like the Loup.  As I remember she was of great moral character in her own right, a great example for the young Alphas.

Offline Simms

• Participant
    • View Profile
Great moral character for wolves not humans. Sure she taught them that but that wouldn't have much bearing on Fitz unless he was raised with her which I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

But I do like the idea that he could be some halfbreed shapshifting wolf from Terra West

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Yes, there's a WoJ to state that...btu this thread predates the WoJ (I think) :)

It does; the WoJ referenced is quoted on page 10 of this very thread by dagaetch.  Fitz was a major character in GS; whether he will be a character of much significance in the overall series remains to be seen.

It may be splitting hairs, but I think this theory could still be consistent with Fitz not reappearing in the series.  All it would mean is that the Loup-Garou curse would not be relevant to the later adventures of Harry Dresden.

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
But Jim didn't say Fitz was cursed, did he? Pretty sure that came from Serack.
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
For one thing she taught the Alphas that wolves do not act like the guys with the belts, nor do they act like the Loup.  As I remember she was of great moral character in her own right, a great example for the young Alphas.
Could you please define 'great moral character'? It just seems like one of those 'fuzzy' opinion things.

Also, remember, she was engaged to the Loup, and I think there's a scene where she tells Harry at least part of the reason is because he's the most destructive thing out there.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Could you please define 'great moral character'? It just seems like one of those 'fuzzy' opinion things.

Also, remember, she was engaged to the Loup, and I think there's a scene where she tells Harry at least part of the reason is because he's the most destructive thing out there.

By her lights, tis a judgment call for sure, she was honest as only a wolf or a dog can be honest, the Alphas would have turned into a mess if it weren't for her..

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
  By her lights, tis a judgment call for sure, she was honest as only a wolf or a dog can be honest, the Alphas would have turned into a mess if it weren't for her..
Is that your definition of moral character? Honesty?

The Alpha's weren't a 'mess'...they were just children, both litterally and figuratively...she taught them how wolves act, how to actually USE the senses of their new forms.
I dont' think she was running ethics classes, though.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Is that your definition of moral character? Honesty?

The Alpha's weren't a 'mess'...they were just children, both litterally and figuratively...she taught them how wolves act, how to actually USE the senses of their new forms.
I dont' think she was running ethics classes, though.
  Honesty is basic to morality my friend.  Yes, she did, and she also taught them how wolves act, no more, no less, true to themselves and true to the animal form they were taking, that is ethics. 

Offline LDF

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
  Honesty is basic to morality my friend.  Yes, she did, and she also taught them how wolves act, no more, no less, true to themselves and true to the animal form they were taking, that is ethics.
See, this is the problem with your argument, Mira.
Above, you claimed Tera West had 'great moral character' which would have been communicated to Fitz, had she raised him.

Using the values you've defined above (Honesty), and given that I don't think we see any instance of Fitz lying, that means he also shows 'great moral character', using your definition.

Part of the problem with using the 'moral' argument is that 'morals' are different for different people.
I dont' think 'being true to yourself' has anythign to do with ethics or morality, personally.
On top of that, we don't really see Tera exhibit any morals...she's never put in a position where she has to make a moral choice.
All we really see is her supporting and trying to help her fiance, McFinn.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
But Jim didn't say Fitz was cursed, did he? Pretty sure that came from Serack.

Yeah, that was part of Serack's theory, in pages 1-3 of this thread.  At some later point, and I think it was in a different thread, someone alleged that JB had confirmed "Fitz is cursed" at a signing.  It's not listed in the master WoJ list, as far as I know, and could easily have been the result of Thread Telephone.

Offline JessE

• Posty McPostington
  • I'd rather be a musician than a rockstar ~George H
    • View Profile
Holy cow, I have Got to do a thorough re-read because I totally missed that.....what else did I miss!? Lol

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
Holy cow, I have Got to do a thorough re-read because I totally missed that.....what else did I miss!? Lol
Hey, it's Emma Stone!
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.