Author Topic: The truth about Fitz  (Read 59049 times)

Offline badassassin

• Conversationalist
  • Carlos Ramirez does it with magic... oh wait.
    • View Profile
sorry, little add on. if the bloodline dies, is it another distant relative of the family? or does some random joe schmo get this curse?
This is where i stand. I can do no other.
Entropy magic+ Earth magic+ sweater vests= badass assassin= badassassin

Quote from interitus:Also, Kincaid isn't exactly a Carebear,

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
sorry, little add on. if the bloodline dies, is it another distant relative of the family? or does some random joe schmo get this curse?
Probably the next most Irish person in the vicinity.
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Probably the next most Irish person in the vicinity.

Oh dear. Unless we have any other Irish citizens posting here, that would be me.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Let us know how the full moon goes for you neuro. It might clue us in whether serack's theory has already been disproved.

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
For what it's worth, from the Bitten with Books chat:
Will we be seeing more of Fitz in the future books?
I think it’s unlikely, but who knows. Supporting character have surprised me before.

Jim's often dodgy with answers but this seems pretty straightforward. No smiley face or anything!
If the building's on fire, it probably is my fault.

Quote from: AcornArmy
We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
For what it's worth, from the Bitten with Books chat:
Jim's often dodgy with answers but this seems pretty straightforward. No smiley face or anything!

Right.  If that's the case, I think that kinda torpedoes this whole thread...
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline badassassin

• Conversationalist
  • Carlos Ramirez does it with magic... oh wait.
    • View Profile
no. just like polka, i say fitz will never die
This is where i stand. I can do no other.
Entropy magic+ Earth magic+ sweater vests= badass assassin= badassassin

Quote from interitus:Also, Kincaid isn't exactly a Carebear,

Offline Sm0kEyNy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Ignore this jus posting to mark this thread for later reading an speculation
The force is like Duct Tape - it has a dark side, it has a light side, and it binds the universe together!

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Better do that quick then, old threads now get purged after a certain amount of time.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
It's been a number of years since I've read Fool Moon so I may be wrong about this (personal preference, I find the second book in a series, any series to be exceptionally poor compared to 1 and 3).  This is also working from the theory that Fitz is Tera/MacFinn's child and apologies if this has been addressed, tl:dr thread with too many derailments.

First, from what I know of wolves, the pups don't hang around forever.  Once they're about a year(ish) old they strike off on their own, so maybe Fitz is on his own because it was that time for him.  Sure, Tera's not an ordinary wolf, but she IS still a wolf, and if Fitz was raised in both worlds it's possible the wolf part understands and is ready but the human isn't mature enough to survive alone.  Second, because of the blood mix, Fitz is still going to get whammied with the curse, but because he is part wolf, he'll be more (forgive the terminology and think Underworld) Lycan than Loup-Garou, able to control himself as the ravening beast.  And finally, isn't it mentioned somewhere that the curse doesn't kick in until age 21?  So if Fitz is only 15 he's got a few more years of "freedom".

Make of it what you will, and correct me if I'm wrong or beating a dead wolf.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile

Okay, I am late to this thread, yeah, Fitz means bastard..  Jim says he is cursed?  He also says that he most likely won't use him anymore as a character?  Huh? ???

Don't buy that, but where did all the wolf speculation come from?  There are all kinds of curses.

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
The wolf speculation comes from:
A) Tera West was supposed to be in GS
B) A lot was done through proxies
C) MacFinn's curse can't die, but he didn't have a kid (that we knew of)
D) Fitz's skin was dark, almost bronze, like native american dark
E) Fitz's hair was red, like an Irishman's
F) Fitz's eyes are roughly the color of Tera West's
G) Fitz is Cursed

Taken together, it seems to point to Fitz being the result of Tera West and Harley MacFinn

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
The wolf speculation comes from:
A) Tera West was supposed to be in GS
B) A lot was done through proxies
C) MacFinn's curse can't die, but he didn't have a kid (that we knew of)
D) Fitz's skin was dark, almost bronze, like native american dark
E) Fitz's hair was red, like an Irishman's
F) Fitz's eyes are roughly the color of Tera West's
G) Fitz is Cursed

Taken together, it seems to point to Fitz being the result of Tera West and Harley MacFinn
But Tera West wasn't in Ghost Story, or at least I do not remember reading about her.
 Yeah, but the  proxies mentioned where Mab, Lea, Demonreach, maybe Uriel.  Nothing mentioned about Tera West.
 If MacFinn died, then either his nearest relative caught it, God wouldn't that be terrible?  Or the curse died with him.  The curse was on his family, when his family died it would die with them.  No evidence that Terra West had a litter of puppies.
 Fitz's skin is dark.. Well, he could be Hispanic, Italian, half AfroAmerican, Middle Eastern, Micronesian, and any other combination that produces darker skin, East Indian...
 Fitz's hair is red like an Irishman.. There are red haired people in my family, we are Danish.  There is a famous Viking named Eric the Red, because of his red hair, lots of Englishmen have red hair. 
 His eyes are roughly the color of Tera West's?  Lots of people have that eye color.
 Fitz is cursed.. Okay, WOJ on that one, but he also said Fitz in more books not likely.. So why say anything at all?  However there are more curses under the sun than you can shake a stick at, stay tuned.. You could be right, or just jumping to conclusions.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
His eyes are roughly the color of Tera West's?  Lots of people have that eye color.

Lots of people in the Dresden Files are specifically described as having golden eyes?  Both Tera West and Fitz are.

Also, one of the conditions of the Loup-Garou curse was that MacFinn's line would not die out until the End of Days.

There are a number of thematic links that make the association quite plausible, beyond the list of associations WJM listed.  Fitz' behavior, both with Baldy and the group of kids in his gang, has strong overtones of the stereotypical "how a wolf in human skin would act."

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
But Tera West wasn't in Ghost Story, or at least I do not remember reading about her.
 Yeah, but the  proxies mentioned where Mab, Lea, Demonreach, maybe Uriel.  Nothing mentioned about Tera West.

No, Tera West wasn't in GS, but if somebody has a complete list of all the proxies that appeared in GS I'd like to see it.  Yes, Mab and Demonreach had obvious proxies, but I sincerely doubt they were the only ones.  I think it's possible, and even probable, that Fitz was a proxy for somebody.  As Tera was SUPPOSED to be in GS, per WoJ, I think it's a fair guess as any, and the theory I'm going with.

If MacFinn died, then either his nearest relative caught it, God wouldn't that be terrible?  Or the curse died with him.  The curse was on his family, when his family died it would die with them.  No evidence that Terra West had a litter of puppies.

MacFinn did die, and his curse passed on, but correct me if I'm wrong but there's a difference between Families and Lines.  A Family can branch out and expand, but a Line is one straight thread, and MacFinn's line can't die out according the the legend.  Also, pragmatism now enters my wild guessing.  If I was cursed to become a monster, and I HAD to pass it on, I'd make DAMN sure I forced that on as few people as possible, so it's plausible that he didn't HAVE any relatives, due to his father, grandfather, etc, only having one child each.  Besides, there was no evidence that Harry had a child either, until Changes.  Only a romantic scene between Harry and Susan.  So no, there's no evidence Tera had pups/cubs/babies/children, but there's plenty to imply it, starting with the curse that says the line won't end.

Fitz's skin is dark.. Well, he could be Hispanic, Italian, half AfroAmerican, Middle Eastern, Micronesian, and any other combination that produces darker skin, East Indian...
 Fitz's hair is red like an Irishman.. There are red haired people in my family, we are Danish.  There is a famous Viking named Eric the Red, because of his red hair, lots of Englishmen have red hair.

Ah, yes, Eric the Red, pilager extrordinare, father of Lief Ericson who discovered Greenland, if I remember right.
I'll need to double-check, but I think it's stated that Fitz's skin Native American dark, which is distinctive from Indian, Hispanic, and the like.
Yes, red hair is very common among the Scandinavians, but they settled in Ireland, Scotland, etc, and today it's seen as a distinctive Irish feature.
Yes, many have that eye color, butonly two are explicitly stated to have that eye color.
Jim's a lazy writer, as he's stated multiple times, so if he gives details like that, it's the sort of thing to take at face value.

Fitz is cursed.. Okay, WOJ on that one, but he also said Fitz in more books not likely.. So why say anything at all?  However there are more curses under the sun than you can shake a stick at, stay tuned.. You could be right, or just jumping to conclusions.

True, I could be jumping to conclusions, but Butters was also supposed to be a one-shot character, and look how that turned out.  Vince Graver from TC was a one shot, there was TONS of speculation about him.  I've seen three references to Chauncy in this thread alone, and he was a one shot from ages ago.  Why say anything about him?  Because it's fun.  And as to the curses, I think Sir Stu said dogs could see and hear ghosts, so maybe a half-wolf could only  get half the gift, in this case hearing only.