Author Topic: The truth about Fitz  (Read 59091 times)

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
I believe if Gard had meant to deny that outright she'd have denied it outright, and coy implications are not an outright denial.

But is her outright denial of denying it outright and usage of coy implications an outright denial of the supposition that our lore is the same lore that is in the DV, or would that be an outright denial that the lore is different?  ;D

*My head hurts*
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
But is her outright denial of denying it outright and usage of coy implications an outright denial of the supposition that our lore is the same lore that is in the DV, or would that be an outright denial that the lore is different?  ;D

I'm operating on the basis that the DV is the same as our world, or our world's lore, unless actively shown otherwise.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
I'm operating on the basis that the DV is the same as our world, or our world's lore, unless actively shown otherwise.

Well, we already know that the WG is around at the same time that other gods, such as Odin, are hanging around, so there is at least some difference in the lore. 

That train of thought starts bringing in real world stuff, and the potential for veering into TT area, so I'll cut my point off at that.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Jared

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Well, we already know that the WG is around at the same time that other gods, such as Odin, are hanging around, so there is at least some difference in the lore.

Not sure what you mean. There are people that worship Odin today.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Not sure what you mean. There are people that worship Odin today.

Yes, I know a few.

My point is that, from my admittedly limited discussions with some of those people, contemporary Asatru do not have it as a core component of their faith that other gods are false, while other gods being a priori false is a regular component of at least such bits of contemporary Christianity as i am familiar with.  (I had a Catholic schooling.)

Therefore, what Jim is doing in the DV is a fictional universe in which we have, thus far, seen one of the core cosmological axioms of Christianity been demonstrated to be untrue, and we have not seen anything similar with regard to the Aesir.

Therefore, it seems logical to me that there are grounds for considering it plausible that other axioms of Christianity might turn out untrue in the DV (to wit, the possibility that archangels lie) in ways there are not grounds for considering it plausible that axioms of other belief systems might turn out untrue (to wit, ever-virgin Valkyries.)  Jim seems to me to be treating the two mythoi on different scales.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline FFguy

• Conversationalist
  • There is no logic in my rants.
    • View Profile
thank you for the answers Serack.

I am re-listening to the audio book now that I can focus on the finer details and not wanting to just get to the end :) .  Very good catch.  I have been waiting for Butcher to bring Tara back into the story.  She was too cool of a character to leave out in the long run.
The Scary Truth about Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris may be able to round house kick you to death but only after he gets permission from Mister.  Just think about that.  Chuck Norris the most powerful being ever known needs to get the okay from a cat.  Beware the cat.  Fear the cat.

Offline Jared

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
My point is that, from my admittedly limited discussions with some of those people, contemporary Asatru do not have it as a core component of their faith that other gods are false, while other gods being a priori false is a regular component of at least such bits of contemporary Christianity as i am familiar with.  (I had a Catholic schooling.)

I understood, I was just pointing out to the other person that they were incorrect about today's RL lore not having Odin around. As another note to that, for the DV, it doesn't matter whether the lore is believed today, but whether it had been believed at all. I think Harry and/or told us that the old gods that no one believes go into the NN and dwindle. So Enki's probably running around in there. [If there are people that still hold to Sumerian beliefs today, just replace Enki with some placeholder deity that no one worships anymore.]

I do think, however, that if fae really truly can not lie (not sure if you've expressed doubt about that before), but let people believe things that are untrue, then it's not really consistent to say that the WG lets modern Christians believe that he's the only god, so he's lying.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
I think Harry and/or told us that the old gods that no one believes go into the NN and dwindle. So Enki's probably running around in there. [If there are people that still hold to Sumerian beliefs today, just replace Enki with some placeholder deity that no one worships anymore.]

Harry's told us that the old gods are in the NN and mostly dormant, in PG.  I think there's room for a serious grain of salt in how much that depends on human belief; partly because we have seen since that Odin for one is pretty active and I'm not seeing reason to suspect the DV having a large contingent of Asatru running around, partly because I'm not finding it easy to believe that if human faith is the principal power source for DV deities that the Hindu gods would not be active, but Harry lists them among the ones in the NN/dormant state, and partly because the minor Classical deity in the poisoned-beer story in Side Jobs seems to think the older gods were actively kicked out. 

I suspect that there may have been some single major event or spell or something that sent those other gods out into the NN and keeps them there.  I am tempted to suspect that of correlation with the coming of the Swords and the Denarians into the world.

I do think, however, that if fae really truly can not lie (not sure if you've expressed doubt about that before), but let people believe things that are untrue, then it's not really consistent to say that the WG lets modern Christians believe that he's the only god, so he's lying.

The difference there, fwiw, is that the Fae are not espousing a morality in which bearing false witness in all its forms is a bad thing.  The Fae are not doing something that is on their own moral terms wrong; the WG would seem to be.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:57:40 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

Offline Arkham8

• Posty McPostington
  • The Man with the Silver Voice
    • View Profile
New thoughts. Must revise theory....child of Hendricks....

and
(click to show/hide)
. By cloning. Kind of like that one Super-boy is the child of Lex and Super-man  ::)
Arkham's First Law: Sufficiently charismatic bullshit is indistinguishable from knowledge.

Offline Jared

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The difference there, fwiw, is that the Fae are not espousing a morality in which bearing false witness in all its forms is a bad thing.  The Fae are not doing something that is on their own moral terms wrong; the WG would seem to be.

Where are you getting their moral terms from? Everything that I've seen Uriel say says that the WG doesn't enforce actions, people must have their own free will to choose for themselves. If the WG puts out the Bible that says "There are other gods, I'm just the best." and Christians choose to ignore those passages, how is that immoral by the WG morals that have been stated in the books?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Where are you getting their moral terms from?

At risk of crossing threads, the Ten Commandments, particularly in this case the one about not bearing false witness.

Offline Jared

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
At risk of crossing threads, the Ten Commandments, particularly in this case the one about not bearing false witness.

I think the point of disagreement here is your take on lies of omission. I disagree with that stance.

I don't think there's much to be done beyond agree to disagree here.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
By the way, Jim said in the past week (I think it was at the NYC signing) that Uriel can't lie.  Well he can't unless he really changes his affiliations.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Bob mentions Archangels as being on the list of entities with full Intellectus.  If you combine that with the WoJ above, that Uriel can't lie (I'd more or less assumed that was true), you've got a difficult character to write--one whose every statement MUST accurately reflect the Dresdenverse as it actually is.

Note that Uriel's dismay over Jack's "three people Harry loves" lie is not a counter-example, due to the distinction between Intellectus and true omniscience.  Uriel had not previously considered that Jack might have lied to Harry, so he didn't know it had happened.  Intellectus requires that a question be brought to the mind of the entity in order for the answer to arrive with it.  True omniscience wouldn't require that (in theory, since it hasn't come up yet in the Dresdenverse).

I don't think it's possible for Uriel to make a statement literally without thinking about it first.  This would mean that Uriel knows with certainty the truth value of his every statement (Intellectus), and that the truth value is always positive (he can't lie).

Offline Hopefire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I remain of the opinion that the White God is a different type of being than the other gods of the Dresdenverse. My theory is that the other gods are either a) similar in nature to gods in Neil Gaiman stories (they exist because humanity believes in them), or b) they're massively powerful beings that people are worshiping for one reason or another (the Red Court's leaders would be examples of this). I think that the White God is technically an Outsider, and the Dresdenverse is his realm.

I think that it says something that the White God has at least four - and perhaps once five - Archangels following him who seem to be more powerful than even heavy hitters like Mab.