Author Topic: [Aspects] A Wizard Apprentice With Control Issues  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
[Aspects] A Wizard Apprentice With Control Issues
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »
Any suggestions for a wizard apprentice type with power control issues? :) I've got a few but you folks tend to come up some waaaaay better suggestions! It should lead to much hilarity and unintended violent consequences.

Thanks muchly in advance...!

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: [Aspects] A Wizard Apprentice With Control Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »
Perhaps you could tell us what you have already thought of? Then we can think of other things, or improve on what you have.  Otherwise we'll just shout the obvious, like an aspect to do with more power than control ;)

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
I Make Things Go Boom

More detail about the character's style of magic, element choices, etc. would be helpful.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
How about some Shakespear:
Double double, toil and trouble

Or Goethe:
From the spirits that I called, sir deliver me!

But as EoD said, more info would help to make a more fitting aspect.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:41:06 PM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
I Swear I Didn't Mean to...

It Wasn't My Fault!

...but the Book said to use Colored Chalk!
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:45:03 PM »
There are a couple of stunts on the Homebrew Stunts thread that mitigate backlash and fallout. They might be useful.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
Oops, my bad.

You've got insurance, right?

Don't worry, that'll grow back.

My enemies fear me, almost as much as the fire department.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »
Whoops

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »
Ah, I should know better than to just fire things off without going into enough detail about what I've already got; that's what I get for being in a hurry and posting from work!

Campaign is Chest-Deep. Inserting a new PC into an ongoing game.

In a nutshell, he is a research student at a museum (Aspect: Room 501: Antiquities Lab, British Museum) who walked in on a robbery in the lab - a supernatural perpertrator was trying to steal an artifact. In this backstory, another PC was (trying to) prevent the robbery, and the student intervenes without knowing what he's getting into. Long story short - he gets the pendant away from the thief, but in the process he is blasted across the room and lays dying while the fight continues. (Aspect: I Can't Just Stand By And Do Nothing)

A voice offers him a choice: live, and take on a responsibility far greater and more important than what he is doing now, or... die.

It'd be a short backstory if he said no, so he accepts, in the process becoming a Aspect: Knight For An Unknown Power. He rises from the floor, unleashes a <insert special effect> that ends the robbery attempt. But as expected... his new life is a complicated one (Aspect: Research Student By Day, Vigilante By Knight). The other PC feels responsible for this turn of events, but even he is having a hard time giving the newcomer an intro to the local Who's Who In The Supernatural. Aspect: Unseelie Accords... Huh! What's That?

Basically, the voice has fallen silent for a while, and he seems to have access to some magic. They'd rather not bother the White Council right now, or attract its undue attention, so he has been on improv as far as flinging magic goes.

In game terms, he has Sponsored Magic and an unusual item of power - a large tatoo of the pendant that imprinted itself on his chest.
The magic appears water-based.

So I guess we're looking for Aspects with issues of control, non-training and power leaks :) Y'know, stuff that ensures much hilarity and unintendedly violent consequences :)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
Oops, my bad.
You've got insurance, right?
Don't worry, that'll grow back.
My enemies fear me, almost as much as the fire department.

LOL these were funny... last one especially. Not quite what I was looking for but I'm squirreling them away for future use :D

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
In a nutshell, he is a research student at a museum (Aspect: Room 501: Antiquities Lab, British Museum)

This is an aspect for your character? Or for the story? Else I wouldn't know how it would come into play...

Death? Been there, done that! Well, almost...
I know magic, I just don't know anything about it...
It's like, point and pull the trigger, right?
I am strong in the Force!
The Voice in my head told me to

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
Hmmm... I kinda agree...  Very little use, although I kinda like the looks of it to be honest.  Potential use in identifying or "appraising" artifacts and determining their origin.  Maybe a little bit of help in terms of Scholarship research rolls and history in particular.  Also some limited access and trust going on with the Museum, but being just a student, that entire aspect could get changed if he f's around too much with it.

As for the rest of the concept, I actually really enjoy it..  It made me realize how disgusted with myself I am, for not having come up with an original character concept in a while.  Just haven't had any true bouts of inspiration in such a long time.....

ANYWAY, potential aspects with control issues...

Hmm.. that didn't work either. Don't worry, statistically speaking...
Umm... That wasn't ENTIRELY my fault...
How hard can it POSSIBLY be?
*fizzle* Umm... guys. Its not working!!?!?!
my 2 cents

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 01:02:14 PM »
(Aspect: I Can't Just Stand By And Do Nothing)

Going from this:
What... I had to do Something
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 06:30:52 AM »
This is an aspect for your character? Or for the story? Else I wouldn't know how it would come into play...

It's for the player's character - it's where his office is, and where his new life all began. It is also where he gets to check out the new weird stuff that comes into his office, and reflects the fact that he is a member of the BM staff and is able to draw on the BM's resources.

He thought it was cooler than "Youngest Research Assistant Ever At The British Museum", which I thought was more transparent, but as long as we're on the same page for what it means...

As for the rest of the concept, I actually really enjoy it...

Thanks :) It was a collaborative effort, he's a late/replacement insert into an ongoing game so we had to fit him in some way. I thought it worked out well. We'll see when the PC actually swings into action and blows up some hapless statue with an misdirected buzzwang :)

Offline Arcmagik

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 07:50:22 AM »
My "Wizard Apprentice" has the trouble aspect "Holy Friggin Crap I am a Wizard." and it comes into play must often with wizarding magic because he is not comfortable with his powers and is not always in control.