Author Topic: Technomancer  (Read 13614 times)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Technomancer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 01:19:21 AM »
I think that the Science vs Magic conflict is an integral and flavorful aspect of the World of Dresden Files.  Trying to wedge a Technomancer into Dresden Files just feels to me a bit like ... oh, say playing a steam-punk engineering character in a Lord of the Rings campaign.  Sure, you *could* do it, and maybe you could make house rules to make the character playable and balanced.  And no doubt people *have* done so, and enjoyed the resulting game.  But would the result really be Lord of the Rings?

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 01:51:54 AM »
I might allow a minor talent type technomancer with powers similar to the kid in heroes who could control tech based on the ghost story:
(click to show/hide)
being able to interact with tech on a mental level could have its uses from time to time.  Anything beyond that... what kind of powers would this hypothetical technomancer have?

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:03:48 AM »
I was dabbling with a npc who is a university scientist who becomes a technomancer by sponsored magic of an outsider. The scientist has nor idea he is using magic  but refers to it as PSI. He can manipulate technology from a distance, link his mind into computers, starting (or stopping) engines and such like.
While this is still some sort of brainstorming I'm thinking of a storyhook where this scientist is drawn more and mor to the sinister agenda of the outsider and becomes dangerous.

@Besq: I have to agree to a certain point. While the LotR is some kind of a "closed" stoy, the Dresden files are not. And while I would have my own difficulties with a whole magic branch or chaper of technomancers, a single techmage as an aberration of the principles of the world could be an interesting hook to introduce.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »
Um... Anti-hex wards are easy. They're called circles.

So are you going to make a circle on every piece of technology in the room, before shooting the enemy?
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
So are you going to make a circle on every piece of technology in the room, before shooting the enemy?

No, but someone asked about a ward that protects tech from magic- I'm pretty sure this is exactly a circle. I wouldn't take the time to put wards up in a room around my valuables/allies before shooting the bad-guy either, even if I thought they were at risk... wrong place, wrong time, so bad example. I was pointing out that it would be a lot simpler to draw a couple curved lines and pop some blood or willpower than to invest energy in some sort of fixed ward that may or may not work, may or may not last long, and may or may not have the same issues a circle does.

Anyways... this led me to a funny mental image... given Butters was able to protect the GPS from ambient magic and harry's presence with a circle, and it was still able to send and receive signal/data through the circle no problem (thus, doing so doesn't qualify for breaking the circle)...

Could a wizard use a computer if he kept it in a circle, using a wireless (or even wired, run under the circle) mouse and keyboard? Only the mouse and keyboard would be exposed to his mana static, and they really haven't changed much in the last 20-30 years beyond switching from serial to usb... so a younger wizard, molly's age, say, using wired serial keyboard and mouse run under the floorboards and therefore the circle, might not have any problems at all. Even USB or Wireless, you'd burn through them, but not often enough to really suck.

And now I'm stuck with this mental image of a 20 y.o. Apprentice Wizard with a love for his old life and tech, just can't give up his rig... sitting in his room, circle around his compy, and a pile of burnt out keyboards stacked up in one corner.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
Could a wizard use a computer if he kept it in a circle, using a wireless (or even wired, run under the circle) mouse and keyboard? Only the mouse and keyboard would be exposed to his mana static, and they really haven't changed much in the last 20-30 years beyond switching from serial to usb... so a younger wizard, molly's age, say, using wired serial keyboard and mouse run under the floorboards and therefore the circle, might not have any problems at all. Even USB or Wireless, you'd burn through them, but not often enough to really suck.
huu fher V thrff ur pbhyq whfg "svar" at least for some values of "fine"

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »

Can't stop laughing.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »
Can't stop laughing.
I ROT13'd it for anyone who didn't catch it

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »

Ok now that's just damn funny.  :D
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 03:01:07 AM »
There's a recent WOJ about magic and tech from one of the signings.

Q: "Why doesn't Mort influence technology like Dresden does?"
A: "Mort isn't as powerful, and he isn't as conflicted. Lea could play N64 all day long, because she isn't conflicted at all about her nature. 'Yeah I'll turn you into a dog! It'll be /good/ for you.'"

Maybe that could help with ideas?
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Alberich

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
Ive actulaly discussed this in another game where I created a Magic Hacker type character.

Its certainly possibly and dependant on the character, as Harry said the side effects of magic like Hexing are constantly evolving and changing.

I personaly found resource material from Shadowrun, and the general cyber-punk mythos to be great help. Of particular note is William Gibsons novel "Neuromancer" I found to be a incredible resource of ideas.

There are some downsides that may not be obviusly appearant. Like in most common cities there sheer amount of electronic "noise" around everything is maddening. Wireless signals of every kind overlapping with everything, Cell Phones, street lights, laser lights, radar, Etc.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »
You can't make a circle and use a computer.

You either break the circle by putting your hands through it, its your own circle do it wouldn't be a problem, or if you are in it with the computer, you still hex it making the circle useless.

What part of magic and technology not mixing don't you get? :o If you want magic and technology to be in love, like Mika from Heroes, its not the Dresdenverse.
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
I know that "it depends on your game" is about the least helpful answer ever, but it is really the best answer to this question.

The fact that Harry's magic is inimical to technology serves primarily to reinforce his alienation from society in general.  He's a throw back to earlier times, both in what he can do (magic) and how he acts (chivalry), and he's never really at home in a world that is moving further away from him every day.  The secondary function of his hexing is to illustrate his own internal conflicts, and the way they manifest in the world around him.  Finally it gives him something to bitch about, and a bit of comic relief now and then. 

If your game would not be negatively affected by the abandonment of the "wizard as a person out of time" theme then incorporating technomancy isn't really a problem, but that's for you to decide.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
You can't make a circle and use a computer.

You either break the circle by putting your hands through it, its your own circle do it wouldn't be a problem, or if you are in it with the computer, you still hex it making the circle useless.

What part of magic and technology not mixing don't you get? :o If you want magic and technology to be in love, like Mika from Heroes, its not the Dresdenverse.

You... really don't read the posts you reply to, do you?
Wireless. Keyboard. Outside. The. Circle.
Computer. Inside. Circle.
Wizard. Outside. Circle.

You'd go through wireless keyboards like mad, but... the computer should be safe.

But- you are right- This is Dresden, and magic/tech are supposed to be inimical. Trying to work around that... not quite appropriate.
My idea about using a circle was more of a funny joke than anything else. That, I thought, was clear from context.

While I'm here though... no reason sponsored magic should upset tech, right?

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
While I'm here though... no reason sponsored magic should upset tech, right?

Don't think so, certainly if it does -not- augment existing Evocation/Thaumaturgy, as you wouldn't really be using mortal magic as a mortal practicioner. This plus-side, of course, is balanced by the fact your magic is more limited in scope.