Author Topic: Where do they hide the bodies?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
Where do they hide the bodies?
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
It occurs to me that many of the supernatural predators in DF can cross back and forth to the Nevernever fairly easily.  As can warlocks and the like.  So it stands to reason that they would avoid any mundane interference by simply dumping the bodies of their victims in the Nevernever and be done with it.  Which makes it a little hard to figure reasons for players to ever have bodies to find in a DFRPG murder mystery.  Just thinking out loud but do you guys have any thoughts on the matter? 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: Where do they hide the bodies?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »
Well, first of all, a lot of nasties can only enter in a place attuned to their nature, such as brothels for White Court vamps. This is something of a 'soft' transition in my view. If someone or something used magic to rip a hole in the fabric of reality (so to speak :p), it leaves behind a 'finger print' someone with high Lore could pick up. (I might be wrong, though)

Besides, if the Fae started to regularly find bodies in their domains, they might start to take offense and check it out themselves. Or, they think: 'what the Hell is this?! Let's toss it back where it came from!' :)

My thoughts from the top of me head.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
Monsters in DFRPG follow their instincts.  They don't have instincts to hide their kills.  It literally never occurs to them that it could be a problem.  (Just as humans don't worry about all the stray hair, etc. that could be used for shapechanging, spells, etc.)

Now, warlocks can think of such things.  Except I doubt the normal inhabitants of the Never-Never really appreciate being used as a dumping site for bodies (or anything else).  Imagine the scene where a warlock is trying to convince the police that he has no idea about all those missing people, and a group of fae show up with body parts; "Excuse me, but I think these belong to you..."

Make a contract with the local ghoul population; it's easier.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
Considering most of the inhabitant of the never never are rampant carnivores I doubt that a dumped body would mean anything other than a particularly nice meal.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:56:43 PM »
Sometimes missing person cases can bring more scrutiny than a bunch of bodies with different causes of death.

Why?

Because the FBI and state police look for serial killers that way.  They run statistical programs on the vast amounts of paperwork that modern police work generate and data mine as they look for the Ted Bundy.

Three or four missing persons in one area? That gets attention.  And if the cluster of missing persons is linked by something - say they all went to the same high school and bullied the same person who has now (20 years later) turned warlock and is stalking them - then the police are going to zoom in and search for the serial killer they know is operating there.

Much better to have one of them die in a car crash (making a fatal illusion that the turn is 20 feet down the road), another die of a heart attack, another be shot with the evidence pointing to someone else, someone commit suicide, etc than have a cluster of missing persons.

Of course this implies that someone will miss the people and  there's not a reasonable explanation for them not being around.  If the local factory is closing then who would notice if Jeb isn't around? Maybe he just drove off and left the house for the bank to take.  And when it comes to street people... there's a couple of times in the Dresden books when they go missing and no one notices (just before the vampire party and when the Black Court takes over a building).  As long as the monsters (including the human ones) pick the people that no one misses the nevernever is a great dumping ground.

Richard

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »
I assume that it does happen, perhaps often, and the reason you don't hear about it more is simply that it is as effective as you'd think.

Offline Veet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:24:47 AM »
I assume that it does happen, perhaps often, and the reason you don't hear about it more is simply that it is as effective as you'd think.

Harry does talk about patterns in missing persons cases a few times. I think that kind of eludes to this happening at least occasionally.

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »
Well, when you dump bodies in the Nevernever, you might run the risk of an enterprising spirit finding it and moving in, maybe even fixing it up to adopt the life of the former owner.  Do you really want spirits of unknown potency wandering around the mortal world in human bodies?
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
Well, when you dump bodies in the Nevernever, you might run the risk of an enterprising spirit finding it and moving in, maybe even fixing it up to adopt the life of the former owner.  Do you really want spirits of unknown potency wandering around the mortal world in human bodies?

If your an evil warlock with a sense of humor yes that just might make your day, if your a creature from the never never then it would be someone elses problem.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »
If your an evil warlock with a sense of humor yes that just might make your day, if your a creature from the never never then it would be someone elses problem.
Can't speak for creatures for the Nevernever, but an evil warlock that killed a specific individual for a reason like "in order to inherit his money" or "to eliminate a rival for the object of my affection's love" might find it inconvenient if a spirit wearing the person's body came into the picture and usurped the person's place.
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »
Make a contract with the local ghoul population; it's easier.

Well this is what the Red Court Vamps in our city do.  

I was thinking up a scenario with a Warlock and it hit me that he could almost always find a way to get rid of any bodies.  I guess it could backfire on him on occasion but if he offered the bodies in trade to say a host of hungry giant spiders it seems like they would be more of a bargaining chip than a problem for him.  However, some good points have been made that will likely be rolled into my game.  

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline MegaPuff75

• Conversationalist
  • You say "vindictive jerk" like it's a bad thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
However most Warlocks kill using thaumaturgy so they aren't exactly nearby to grab the body since the whole point of killing with magic is that you leave no evidence that ties you to the crime scene so returning for the body is rather stupid, also most warlocks are so arrogantly self-assured of their own invincibility that they wouldn't bother with dumping the bodies.
DV MegaPuff75 v1.2 YR6 FR0.3 BK++ RP++ !JB TH++ WG CL SW BC+ MC----
http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?54:70:18:23:5:6:22:26:19:27:9:37:16:41:18:28:5:5:
Quantum Physics: proof the universe was built by the lowest bidder

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
However most Warlocks kill using thaumaturgy so they aren't exactly nearby to grab the body since the whole point of killing with magic is that you leave no evidence that ties you to the crime scene so returning for the body is rather stupid, also most warlocks are so arrogantly self-assured of their own invincibility that they wouldn't bother with dumping the bodies.

Not sure that I agree that most Warlocks kill with Thaumaturgy or not.  But your second point makes some sense assuming there aren't any cold, clinical Hannibal Lector type Warlocks who compose their plans with a great attention to detail. 

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 11:59:32 PM »
This whole thread has me thinking of a story involving this premise...A Warlock is killing people and hiding the bodies in the NN.  The Fae carnivore is very pleased with this gift...but out of the sense of obligation it invokes the Fae seeks to return an equal gift.  One of my players IoP should be about right.  They (my player) get a fate point and a lead in to the murders being performed by the warlock. 

Thanks for the ideas

Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the ideas

Always glad to help.   ;D

And to be honest the whole thread has provided me with a wealth of ideas that I don't want to disclose because I know my players are on here frequently.  So I would like to thank everyone as well.