Author Topic: Stating a remotely control Automata  (Read 1992 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Stating a remotely control Automata
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
I was wondering how people would stat a remote controlled battle doll (controlled by discipline), the doll user can see through the dolls eyes and control it from great distances, it is stronger and faster than human and can fly. So far my problem hasn't been statting the doll itself and its powers but has been statting the remote control part of the doll and whether it should have physical stress track does anyone have any ideas on how I could stat these without being game breaking?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stating a remotely control Automata
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
Do you want this to be a playable character or just an NPC? An ongoing plot device or just something for one scene?

It definitely should have a physical stress track, because even a car or tank can be destroyed physically by the right kinds of attacks.  It might have a hell of a lot of armor, though.

As for the remote-control-ness of it, that could simply be an aspect that gets invoked or compelled as appropriate.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
The doll itself is an item of power/plot device its just a puppet not an actual character it can't do anything without being controlled.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »
If I get this right, the character concept is "guy who can control battle doll"?

I would let the character buy the powers you want the machine to have and attach it to "human form" plus "item of power". And he would need a power from the "beast change" family, so that he can remote control the doll. This would also let him change his skill setting to the skill setting of the doll.

The thing that would be bothering me is, that the character would be entirely shielded from any damage, but I guess that would be ok, because he would still be taken out of the fight for now. And he would have to repair the doll to be able to get back into a fight after that. The doll should probably have a +0 power "it's a machine" (similar to living dead), which would mean, that it can't recover stress or consequences by resting, it has to be repaired using craftsmanship.

So you have the character himself, who would only have "control doll" as a power, the rest would be linked to the item of power, namely the battle doll. The doll would get it's own sheet, but it would mechanically be the "beast form" the character can assume. With the beast form come additional powers (inhuman strength, speed, etc.) and it would have its own skill tree (like any beast form), so you would not use discipline to control it, you would use the the skills as usual.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »
If I get this right, the character concept is "guy who can control battle doll"?

I would let the character buy the powers you want the machine to have and attach it to "human form" plus "item of power". And he would need a power from the "beast change" family, so that he can remote control the doll. This would also let him change his skill setting to the skill setting of the doll.

The thing that would be bothering me is, that the character would be entirely shielded from any damage, but I guess that would be ok, because he would still be taken out of the fight for now. And he would have to repair the doll to be able to get back into a fight after that. The doll should probably have a +0 power "it's a machine" (similar to living dead), which would mean, that it can't recover stress or consequences by resting, it has to be repaired using craftsmanship.

So you have the character himself, who would only have "control doll" as a power, the rest would be linked to the item of power, namely the battle doll. The doll would get it's own sheet, but it would mechanically be the "beast form" the character can assume. With the beast form come additional powers (inhuman strength, speed, etc.) and it would have its own skill tree (like any beast form), so you would not use discipline to control it, you would use the the skills as usual.

That works thanks.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
You know, we really need to make a "Two Bodies" power.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
To make it a bit balanced, I would make it so that the character's (more) vulnerable mentally, or that an excessive amount of damage/destruction of the body causes mental backlash.

You could simply have the character turn into a rock doll as well, it only matters in flavor, not mechanic.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:09:39 PM »
To make it a bit balanced, I would make it so that the character's (more) vulnerable mentally, or that an excessive amount of damage/destruction of the body causes mental backlash.

You could simply have the character turn into a rock doll as well, it only matters in flavor, not mechanic.

I thought about that and decided against it. The spotlight is on the doll, not the character. I don't see it as game breaking, because I would simply compel your high concept to concede any fight you can't use your doll on, and I would probably make your skills reflect that (when only fighting with the doll, you won't learn how to fight for real). In effect, you will go into a fight with your doll, which you will have to repair if it takes damage, and it might even be harder than recovering normally, getting parts might even take a few scenes of action themselves. It is not like you bring the character and the doll to the scene, and when the doll is taken out, you go in with your "real" character. Or at least I would not let you ;)

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
Okay, I can see your reasoning for that, but where would you leave such an automaton? You could walk around with your mates in the doll, but if it gets taken out of the fight (or you happen to step into a deep pool of mud), where would the character be? Sitting at home, bored? In a car nearby?

I ask this, because, assuming you want an automaton for battle, it gets its armor from the substance it's made of and thus it would be heavy. You'd need to either lug the thing around in some kind of heavy duty van, or the character is somewhere remote (which can be made interesting if he is found while controlling the automaton).

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:51:17 PM »
The weight issue and and the obviousness of the doll are definite in game issues but ones that will probably dealt with by a high resource score (armored truck and portable cranes sort of thing). 
Every night has its day.
I think.