Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 224625 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #540 on: April 10, 2012, 09:13:52 AM »
like DED dead!  ;D
Departed?  ;D
Did he catch the southbound train?  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #541 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
*giggles* most likely

Offline romuloht

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 14, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
Hey guys! First post!

About the parasite. I think that it is possible that the parasite was Lash. In WN, Bob says that Lash took a piece of Harry's soul to free herself. Going from the theory that Harry's headaches in TC were happening because his brain was healing (or that Mab healed it at some point) and that his body couldn't survive without a soul, it is possible that Lash was helping keep him alive since she has a soul (at least I think she does) that she gained from Harry.
DV romuloht V1.2 YR2 BK++ !RP JB--- TH+++ WG+++ CL+++ SW BC++ MC+ SH[Molly++, Elaine+, Lash+, Murphy-]

Mark my words, Lash will be back!

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 15, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »
Yep, this is what most of the forum seems to think. Though an equally prevelent theory for the TC Headaches is that they're a sign of mental invasion (him forgetting Little Chicago). It could be both, I suppose.

Welcome to the forums!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:07:35 AM by Ziggelly »

Offline kalten

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 15, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »
No one's arguing that DuMorne isn't D-E-D dead. The theory is that when Kemmler went down the last time, he took over DuMorne's body a la Corpsetaker/Butters. This left Dumorne dead, and Kemmler is now known as Cowl. 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 15, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »
No one's arguing that DuMorne isn't D-E-D dead. The theory is that when Kemmler went down the last time, he took over DuMorne's body a la Corpsetaker/Butters. This left Dumorne dead, and Kemmler is now known as Cowl.

If Kemmler was acting as Justin, how on earth did he get his ass kicked by 16 year old Harry?

And Cowl is too weak to be Kemmler.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
If Kemmler was acting as Justin, how on earth did he get his ass kicked by 16 year old Harry?
We've never actually seen the fight itself. Harry might've caught Justin by surprise or something. Besides, it's 16-year-old Harry we're talking about. He does lots of things that he shouldn't be able to do.

And Cowl is too weak to be Kemmler.
:o Harry said that he hit him harder than either Eb or Lea, who are both pretty badass magically speaking. And it's not like Cowl was putting all of his effort into that one spell, either. Did he seem winded after that blast to you? Nope. In fact, he tried to hit him again right afterwards, and then put together a shield on the fly that was powerful enough to stop a car from crushing him. Just how strong do you think Kemmler is!?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 15, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
We've never actually seen the fight itself. Harry might've caught Justin by surprise or something. Besides, it's 16-year-old Harry we're talking about. He does lots of things that he shouldn't be able to do.

From his own words, it was a straight up duel, not an ambush.

Harry said that he hit him harder than either Eb or Lea, who are both pretty badass magically speaking.

Tell me, do you think that either of those individuals have ever put their all into hurting Harry? Lea is forced to pull punches because she's obliged to keep Harry alive, the only time he's faced down Eb is in a practice duel. Cowl was trying to severely injure or kill Harry, no pulling punches there.

Did he seem winded after that blast to you? Nope.

That just shows he has a respectable suernatural gas tank.

Just how strong do you think Kemmler is!?

Strong enough to take on the entire White Council.

And considering just ow strong Eb is on his own, I would put Kemmler in the "can cause natural disasters on his own without much effort" tier if he required the entire White Council.

Also,

Q:  Is Cowl still out of Harry’s league, now that Harry has this additional power?
A:  I don’t know.  Remember that Harry was outrunning the Ick

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Smithdj36

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 16, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »
Let me get this straight the winter night is shot falls into a ice cold lake a few miles from his sanctum which is where a ley line originates  that has a genius loci so strong that it scares some of the white counsel spit less… and not one of his friends goes to see if his body is there? Wow I don’t know how to take that. :o
If u failed to read the welcome sign I will remind you of what it says “We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.” Welcome to the Dresdenverse feel free to scream like a girl any time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4XU2d4I2c

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 16, 2012, 08:25:51 AM »
Let me get this straight the winter night is shot falls into a ice cold lake a few miles from his sanctum which is where a ley line originates  that has a genius loci so strong that it scares some of the white counsel spit less… and not one of his friends goes to see if his body is there? Wow I don’t know how to take that. :o

Most of them probably don't know about the island or how to get to the island.

As for the ones who do know, they probably were also told about Demonreach's policy towards humans or didn't want to risk trying to navigate the lake in the snowy condition.

Or they just assumed he was dead, its not an entirely unreasonable assumption from the amount of blood that was on the boat.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Oirthir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
It's a little odd really that Harry could have killed a council warden in a straight up duel come to think of it. HWCB according to bob went in against Harry at that time to start weaponizing him, maybe DuMorne was continuing the process along, or maybe something else had taken DuMorne the way DuMorne took Elaine.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »
It's a little odd really that Harry could have killed a council warden in a straight up duel come to think of it. HWCB according to bob went in against Harry at that time to start weaponizing him, maybe DuMorne was continuing the process along, or maybe something else had taken DuMorne the way DuMorne took Elaine.

Not that odd really, Harry probably had a massive power advantage, foci (Justin probably didn't carry his around 24/7) and a lot of anger to back him up, its not unlikely these all combined to give Harry victory over Justin.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 17, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
Not that odd really, Harry probably had a massive power advantage, foci (Justin probably didn't carry his around 24/7) and a lot of anger to back him up, its not unlikely these all combined to give Harry victory over Justin.

I agree with all of the above.  I would add that it is not unlikely that Justin underestimated Harry as well.  Justin probably had a good idea of Harry's potential, but how could he have known that the scared sixteen year old who had just ran away from him would roast HWWB at the gas station; if it was Justin that sent the demon, and make a deal with the Leanansidhe, which gave Harry the confidence to take on his teacher.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #553 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
If the images in Welcome to the Jungle are anything to go by (they may not, since GS puts it in the house, while WTTJ is in an open field), Justin had his staff at least.

It's more likely a combination of a couple things, including that Justin underestimated Harry's strength and ability, as well as his ability to withstand pain, and Justin wasn't trying to kill Harry, but subdue him to then enthrall him.

I imagine killing with magic is easier than nonlethally subduing someone with magic.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Thork

• Conversationalist
  • "I put on my robe and wizard hat."
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 19, 2012, 02:48:01 AM »
Question on the very end:

Did Mab lie to Harry?

I missed this on my first readthrough, but on re-read, Mab says

Mab’s eyes snapped to Demonreach. “I have his oath, ancient one. What he has given is mine by right, and you may not gainsay it. He is mine to shape as I please.” “Dammit,” I said tiredly. “Dammit.” And a voice—a very calm, very gentle, very rational voice whispered in my ear, “Lies. Mab cannot change who you are.”

It's easy to get distracted by that because it's right at the end of the book, but wait a second: Uriel just said that a statement of Mab was "lies." Mab can't lie! Did Mab just lie? What the hell is going on here?

I think the actual explanation is that Uriel is playing a subtle game, and Mab's more speaking the truth as she believes it/sees it/shades it than outright "speaking a word that is not true" in the Robert Jordan Aes Sedai sense. But is it possible Mab's breaking the rules here somehow, and outright lying?
(click to show/hide)
"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."
----------
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down