Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 224641 times)

Offline sempi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #525 on: March 08, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
No, we have Woj's that the stuff we saw actually happened.
Well can't argue with that!!

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2012, 01:59:06 AM »
linkies, plz.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »
Molly seems to be doing a lot of very-close-to-black-magic stuff. Is she getting, like, totally corrupted?
Well... what's "corrupted" mean? [laughter] Yeah, she's playing around with some nasty stuff and it's only a matter of time before that catches up to her. On the other hand, she's doing things she knew Dresden would've done if he could have done them, so it's all Harry's fault.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.0.html
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
Plus, why would Lash want Dresden suicidal?
She wouldn't. She'd want him to survive. Which he wouldn't do if he couldn't save Maggie. And he'd have a hard time doing that with his spine broken (for one thing, Chichen Itza probably isn't ADA accessible; way too many stairs).

The seven words weren't, "This is your fault, so kill yourself." If Lash is doing the whispering, the intention was probably more along the lines of guilt tripping him into getting more power--preferably through her, but if not, keeping himself alive means she survives either way.

She probably either didn't see the suicide coming, knew that it wouldn't work, or didn't have enough power to talk him out of it without making it obvious she was still around.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline kalten

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
According to Ghost Story, however, once a practitioner dies, their power is limited to the ability of whatever new body they inhabit, which was why Corpsetaker wanted Mortimer when she switched with Luccio she was still alive. Cowl took DuMorne because he was the stronhest available body.

It would have been easy, too - the Council has only just now given more than cursory attention  to defense against mind attacks/possesion.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 18, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
According to Ghost Story, however, once a practitioner dies, their power is limited to the ability of whatever new body they inhabit, which was why Corpsetaker wanted Mortimer when she switched with Luccio she was still alive. Cowl took DuMorne because he was the stronhest available body.

It would have been easy, too - the Council has only just now given more than cursory attention  to defense against mind attacks/possesion.

What the heck are you talking about?

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
What the heck are you talking about?

Providing more fuel for the Cowl is DuMorne theory. Well, not quite, but you get what I mean.

Offline Oirthir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 20, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »

Incorrect, when the ghost of a practitioner takes over a new body it only has the level of magical power that body has, which is why Corpsetaker required more than just the minor talents that she had gathered in her big hood gang.  When a live practitioner does a body jump their power comes with them, minus the hardware changes using magic over time has caused.  I think this has something to do with still having a soul.

This hard and fast rule can be circumvented by the ghost of the practitioner eating a bunch of other ghosts (gaining enough energy) before trying to take over a new body, but it would have to be a boatload of powerful ghosts.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 20, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »
Incorrect, when the ghost of a practitioner takes over a new body it only has the level of magical power that body has, which is why Corpsetaker required more than just the minor talents that she had gathered in her big hood gang.  When a live practitioner does a body jump their power comes with them, minus the hardware changes using magic over time has caused.  I think this has something to do with still having a soul.

No not quite, Corpsetaker (according to Harry in Dead Beat) had power levels similar to Harry, but she only needed to possess someone of, say, Mort or Molly tier powers to get her full strength back.

And I'm fairly certain that was Corpsetaker's actual spirit, not her ghost.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Oirthir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
No not quite, Corpsetaker (according to Harry in Dead Beat) had power levels similar to Harry, but she only needed to possess someone of, say, Mort or Molly tier powers to get her full strength back.

And I'm fairly certain that was Corpsetaker's actual spirit, not her ghost.

Assumes a firm definition between the terms spirit and ghost, all we have is a definition between spirit and soul.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »
The servitors called corpstaker a shade and Lea told Harry that she was in the same condition as Harry was.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Marie

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 09, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Wow! This is a long thread!  I thought it would be interesting to read all of the theories from the first post but lost the will to live about page 10 - not because it was boring but simply because I couldn't keep up with all the different theories and follow the voluminous amounts of responses etc.  Any chance that some of the theories could have their own thread - eg "is Dumorne really Cowl" or "what were teh 7 words Lash said to Harry"?  Looks as though it will be a bit of a wait until the next installment (showing as due out in Jan 2013 on Amazon UK!) so I guess we've got a bit of time to discuss it all!

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 09, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Wow! This is a long thread!  I thought it would be interesting to read all of the theories from the first post but lost the will to live about page 10 - not because it was boring but simply because I couldn't keep up with all the different theories and follow the voluminous amounts of responses etc.  Any chance that some of the theories could have their own thread - eg "is Dumorne really Cowl" or "what were teh 7 words Lash said to Harry"?  Looks as though it will be a bit of a wait until the next installment (showing as due out in Jan 2013 on Amazon UK!) so I guess we've got a bit of time to discuss it all!

Amazon dates are guesses on their part, their has been no release date announced.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline PhillipChocolate

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
Jim Butcher said that DuMorne is dead. dead dead dead. deeeeaaad!

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #539 on: April 10, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »
Jim Butcher said that DuMorne is dead. dead dead dead. deeeeaaad!
like DED dead!  ;D