Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 224147 times)

Offline dantesparadise

• Conversationalist
  • Abandon hope, all ye who enter here
    • View Profile
    • Lost: Midnight Mist Preview
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2011, 01:15:37 AM »
Was thinking about this the other day.  Lea says that she is tempted to end this "charade" (forget what she calls it) and tell Harry he killed himself.  Eternal Silence (iirc) is the one who says no you can't tell him (again paraphrasing).  Why would he do this?  What purpose would it serve?  I think it would make more sense if Eternal Silence was the proxy for Uriel here.  Since he's running the long con through the whole book.  Unless he has clued in Mab, Demonreach and others in on this journey of Harry's soul.

Eternal Silence was Demonreach's proxy not Uriel, Uriel's proxy was Capt Murphy.  Uriel wanted Harry to reach the answer on his own and Demonreach and Mab had an agreement with Uriel most likely to leave Harry alone until he could reach a WILLFUL decision of his own future.
I died.  There was no life flashing before my eyes.  There were no harps.  There were no white robes.  There was no land of milk and honey.  There were no wings…

Offline WhoWalksBehind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 23, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
First, I did say that it is what I think personally.

Secondly, I say he is lazy in terms of magical achievement only. I really think he could have put wards on his home at least after a demon trash his apartment in Storm front. But no, he have to wait until he started a war with the vampire first and according to the book he only started to put serius wards there after an attempt have been made for his life. As though the vampire would ignore the wizard who started the war in the first place!

He probably could have make that armored coat earlier, Maybe he would need more time and effort to make it so, but he could probably done it. I mean, only one year have pass since Death mask the last time the coat haven't been spelled. That coat was Susan's last significant gift and he just put those protection after Anna Valmont stole and return it to him.

I do not mean to imply that Harry is uncaring, As you correctly stated above, he is very, very caring. But still. He got Bob for crying out loud. and you want me to believe that he can't do those things before hand?

Ya you are right.. he probably should have done all those things earlier than he did. But, (and this is a big but) if he did there would not be the gradual escalation of power that we have seen throughout the books. If he started out doin that stuff we as the reader wouldn't get the satisfaction of watching the "little guy" overcome and take down the "uber powered bad guy." Look at dragon ball z for example...

It would be overpowered good guy squishing the wimpy bad guy. it is kind of the same thing as using cheat codes in a video game. Ya its fun to roll through the game as an unstoppable force, but it's more satisfying to beat it on hard without the cheat codes.

Bob is a spirit of intellect, but he is similair to the intellectus Harry shares whith Demonreach (when he is on the island). Bob doesn't tell Harry information unless Harry knows to ask the questions. So it took those things you talked about to happen to him before he knew the right questions to ask himself and Bob.. Also he had to mature and gain more control/experience before he could do the improved shield bracelet, wards and all that good stuff.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 28, 2011, 04:47:48 AM »
Did Uriel not get realize that captain Murphy was also protecting his daughter? If he did he would not have been be surprised by his actions.

Or was he not surprised and was that exactly the reason why he let Captain Murphy handle things?

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 28, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
It seems to me that in this book Harry is starting to really THINK about what he's doing, about the situation(s) he gets into, and looking/planning more than a few minutes into the future. I expect he'll still rush off half - cocked into bad situations, but perhaps not as often. Eventually, if he continues learning and thinking, he'll have the knowledge, skill sets and experience to truly be able to use the vast amounts of power he seemingly can tap in a far more effective and efficient manner.

There were parts of this book that made me cringe, like Murphy's reactions to Harry's telling her about locating Areside's gang. I can understand WHY she has changed, and suspect this is going to be a fairly major continuing character thread for a while. I just hate seeing the character turning into a less likable, less ... Well, noble isn't quite the word I want, more like she was willing to try to see the good in even not-so-good folks. More able to see shades of gray in life, in people, and not mostly in terms of black and white, you're either good or evil, once you'vevbeen turnedvto evil there is no turning back...hope this makes some sense, I know I'm not being as clear as I'd like.

Yeah, there are ghosts / spirits I wish Harry would have encountered, but you can't have everything. As far as folks reacting to finding out Harry is still alive, well, that just makes the wait for the next book that much more...excruciating! Perhaps not the best book in the series, but even the not-best of such a grat series is still pretty damn good. And there were some really great moments in this book, too. I especially enjoyed 'meeting' the reaper / angel of death that was guarding Father Forthill - or rather, guarding his soul. Seeing the growth and maturity Mortimer has experienced was a pleasant surprise, as well as meeting Sir Stuart and the fact Uriel was able to 'heal' him and more or less take him into his service. The Mollyprise was an imaginative detail I would never have expected. And the whole scene of Harry's 'rebirth' and the three way argument / discussion between him, Mab and Deathreach was fantastic.

Yeah, I really liked the book and yep, it's due for a re-read after I go back and read the st of the series again so I can see more of the places where various plot and character threads are intertwining and weaving such a sumptuous story...
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
Sorry, I tried to go back and edit out some of the typos in the above, but my iPad won't let me. *sigh*
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline Brandoch Daha

• Participant
  • Wile E Coyote.....SUPER genius!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2011, 11:22:38 PM »
Finished GS at noon today.
I had posted a while ago that I was unhappy with the ending of Changes and considered it the last true DF book.
I stand corrected.
Jim did an outstanding job with GS.
And managed to wrap up and include most the major players in the game.
Jeezus, I had tears in my eyes in the scene with Mouse in Maggie's room at the end.
I really enjoy the spiritual side that Jim has worked in to the DF books. A lot of people would cast an evil eye towards any book on witchcraft, even LOTR gets a bad rep from some idiots that think it's anti-religion when that's really all it is...good vs. evil and Good wins out at the end. The ride along is entertaining and gives us something to discuss and enjoy. Butcher looks favorable on the Catholic church even with all it's failings, they are human after all, and no different than any other institution, religious or otherwise.
Mab is in for a rough time with her Winter Knight and Harry will find ways to use his free will to affect those good and bad guys in Sweet Home Chicago.
From his belt hung a sword, narrow of blade and keen, the hilt rough with beryls and black diamonds.
And none can surpass Lord Brandoch Daha in feats of arms.

Offline chelatek

• Participant
  • Hay guys what's going on in this thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 30, 2011, 03:09:34 PM »
Somebody suddenly started cutting a lot of onions near me towards the end of the book.

And then the final final part, it's like..well, I kind of knew it'd have to happen, but the two doing it did surprise me a little.

Offline ichthyology1

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »
I liked the way this book ended, it made me think a lot about actions and consequences which I think was Uriel's point.  Although there was some "inappropriate influencing" which allows Harry to come back and find his killer. Harry really begins to think through his actions and the decisions he has made and what the subsequent consequences were - beyond how those actions impacted him personally....Harry was willing to cross the line to get the help he needed but was unwilling to pay the price.  I did not figure out that Harry coordinated his own shooting, but it made sense that Kincaid was the one who did it.  I am really looking forward to the next book.  The Dresden Files is one of my favorite reads.  I can hardly wait to see how everyone reacts when Harry comes back as Winter's Knight.  This will be good.

Offline EntertainUs

• Participant
  • Go back to sleep.
    • View Profile
    • Hanging By a Moment Fanart
« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Ok, so I don't mean to be the blonde dummy here but did we ever find out exactly who the woman was at the end of Changes? Are we assuming it was Mab? I can't seem to be able to find a specific answer (and my talent with the search box ends when I clear the word "Search...") and I didn't want to write a whole new topic if everyone has discussed it somewhere else.

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
Ok, so I don't mean to be the blonde dummy here but did we ever find out exactly who the woman was at the end of Changes? Are we assuming it was Mab? I can't seem to be able to find a specific answer (and my talent with the search box ends when I clear the word "Search...") and I didn't want to write a whole new topic if everyone has discussed it somewhere else.

No we didn't find out whose voice it was. There have been topics about it. I'll see if I can find one.
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Teck Loh

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 06, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
Just answering some questions I saw in the numerous posts on this thread...

1) What was Marcone doing in Italy?

He's an Italian mob boss operating in North America. He probably has to, along with the other Italian mob bosses of North America, go back to Italy for annual training camps. Much like the chefs of Olive Garden restaurants. *giggles*

2) Does Winter Knight trump Warden status for Harry?

Well, yes. The Winter Court is a signatory to the Unseelie Accords and Harry being the Winter Knight means the White Council can't whack him without it being seen as an act of war on Winter. And seriously, the White Council knows they can't afford that. They are practical like that. I would go on to say Harry becoming the Winter Knight will probably help save Molly from White Council wrath later.

3) And since harry is winter knight and alive does he have to live in the NN or does he have to commute to Chicago?

I don't see why he has to stay in Nevernever and commute. The Summer Knight before Fix stayed in his artist apartment in Chicago, didn't he? But then he doesn't have his old apartment anymore... Hmm... Maybe Mab will pay him a salary (in fairy gold?) and he can maybe afford a penthouse in Chicago!

Teck

Offline Raidensparx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 12, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
3) And since harry is winter knight and alive does he have to live in the NN or does he have to commute to Chicago?

I don't see why he has to stay in Nevernever and commute. The Summer Knight before Fix stayed in his artist apartment in Chicago, didn't he? But then he doesn't have his old apartment anymore... Hmm... Maybe Mab will pay him a salary (in fairy gold?) and he can maybe afford a penthouse in Chicago!

Teck

Chances are good that if he ever does get a residence back in Chicago, it'll probably be where his house used to be.  Or he'll take up residence on Demonreach.  That island seemed pretty dedicated to getting its custodian back.
DV Raidensparx V1.2 YR4 FR(M)(0) BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL SW+++++ BC+ !MC SH(Murphy++++ Thomas---- Lea---)

Special Code: Murphy Shipping (Kincaid---)

Offline Reventon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
Where he lives is going to be important... But more importantly... 

Will he finally get a hat?

That damn title art keeps making me imagine him with something wide brimmed on his noggin when he goes monster whuppin. Come on JB, if not the fedora on the covers then give him a Stetson, or something.

Offline Raidensparx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 13, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
...is it bad that because of the covers, I've never pictured him in my mind WITHOUT a hat?
DV Raidensparx V1.2 YR4 FR(M)(0) BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL SW+++++ BC+ !MC SH(Murphy++++ Thomas---- Lea---)

Special Code: Murphy Shipping (Kincaid---)

Offline Reventon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 14, 2011, 05:39:39 AM »
More of a compliment to the artist IMO... Mostly 'cos I'm in the same boat.