Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 224624 times)

Offline WhoWalksBehind

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #435 on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
I personally thinks that Harry is a rather lazy wizard. He would not push himself to greater heights of power. Either because he is under-motivated or because he is afraid to have that much power. He only makes significant improvement after: his girlfriend becomes half turn, His house got busted a couple of times, he nearly died several times, being dragoon into joining the warden and when his daughter got captured. Things like that. He could do it if he makes the effort, but he does not seem to be a self motivated guy when it comes to magical achievement.

Wow.. really? Not being self motivated is not Harry's tragic flaw!

Harry said, "there are things you can't walk away from. Not if you want to live with yourself afterward." So he gets involved in things he has no business getting involved with. Which usually culminates into him going up against things that should wipe the floor with him, but because of his drive to protect his friends/family he develops more and more power to defeat them.

In no way did I ever say to myself, "Wow he really is a lazy wizard and needs to get more involved." If anything his tragic flaw is that he cares too much and takes on other's problems too quickly. He throws himself at them to save the ones he loves and God have mercy on anything that gets in his way!

Yes he does get invovled because others are in trouble, but no he doesn't just do it for them. He does it because he can not sit idle while others are being trod upon. He does it for himself as much as he does it for others.

He knows that there are prices to pay for his choices and he accepts them, knowing that it will be him that pays the price and not someone else. He has done that over and over again.

You obviously love these books as much as I do or you would not be on this message board, but stop and think before you post tripe like that again.

Offline kalten

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 02, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »
How about this theory?  I think Cowl is Kemmler. After reading GS, especially where Corpsetaker drags Butter's spirit out of his body and takes it over. I think that Kemmler did the same thing with DuMorne at the fight where his death supposedly 'took'. I believe he either switched bodies with DuMorne right before or right after he died, which would explain how one of the wardens all of a sudden turned warlock, as well as how he got Bob - he knew what the skull was to begin with, so he made sure he took it with him.

After dresden killed dumorne/kemmler (haven't figured that part out yet) he simply bided his time until he could come back the way Corpsetaker was attempting to do in GS.

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 02, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
How about this theory?  I think Cowl is Kemmler. After reading GS, especially where Corpsetaker drags Butter's spirit out of his body and takes it over. I think that Kemmler did the same thing with DuMorne at the fight where his death supposedly 'took'. I believe he either switched bodies with DuMorne right before or right after he died, which would explain how one of the wardens all of a sudden turned warlock, as well as how he got Bob - he knew what the skull was to begin with, so he made sure he took it with him.

After dresden killed dumorne/kemmler (haven't figured that part out yet) he simply bided his time until he could come back the way Corpsetaker was attempting to do in GS.

I LIKE it.  Horrifying, but I like it.

If true, I suspect that both Dumorne/Kemmler and HWWB threw their fights and faked their deaths.  HWWB was pretty obvious.  He fell into some flames.  Harry never went looking for a body.

It would not only explain how DuMorne got Bob, but why he wasn't Torn Limb From (mental) Limb the way Harry almost was when Bob accessed his memories associated with Kemmler.

So that begs the question: WHY did HWWB (and Kemmler/DuMorne) throw their fights?  What is it that they want Harry At Large for?

I suspect we won't find the answers to that for a few more books.
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 03, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
Wow.. really? Not being self motivated is not Harry's tragic flaw!

Harry said, "there are things you can't walk away from. Not if you want to live with yourself afterward." So he gets involved in things he has no business getting involved with. Which usually culminates into him going up against things that should wipe the floor with him, but because of his drive to protect his friends/family he develops more and more power to defeat them.

In no way did I ever say to myself, "Wow he really is a lazy wizard and needs to get more involved." If anything his tragic flaw is that he cares too much and takes on other's problems too quickly. He throws himself at them to save the ones he loves and God have mercy on anything that gets in his way!

Yes he does get invovled because others are in trouble, but no he doesn't just do it for them. He does it because he can not sit idle while others are being trod upon. He does it for himself as much as he does it for others.

He knows that there are prices to pay for his choices and he accepts them, knowing that it will be him that pays the price and not someone else. He has done that over and over again.

You obviously love these books as much as I do or you would not be on this message board, but stop and think before you post tripe like that again.

First, I did say that it is what I think personally.

Secondly, I say he is lazy in terms of magical achievement only. I really think he could have put wards on his home at least after a demon trash his apartment in Storm front. But no, he have to wait until he started a war with the vampire first and according to the book he only started to put serius wards there after an attempt have been made for his life. As though the vampire would ignore the wizard who started the war in the first place!

He probably could have make that armored coat earlier, Maybe he would need more time and effort to make it so, but he could probably done it. I mean, only one year have pass since Death mask the last time the coat haven't been spelled. That coat was Susan's last significant gift and he just put those protection after Anna Valmont stole and return it to him.

I do not mean to imply that Harry is uncaring, As you correctly stated above, he is very, very caring. But still. He got Bob for crying out loud. and you want me to believe that he can't do those things before hand?
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Sunburned White Court

• Conversationalist
  • I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 07, 2011, 03:02:21 AM »
I LIKE it.  Horrifying, but I like it.

If true, I suspect that both Dumorne/Kemmler and HWWB threw their fights and faked their deaths.  HWWB was pretty obvious.  He fell into some flames.  Harry never went looking for a body.

It would not only explain how DuMorne got Bob, but why he wasn't Torn Limb From (mental) Limb the way Harry almost was when Bob accessed his memories associated with Kemmler.

So that begs the question: WHY did HWWB (and Kemmler/DuMorne) throw their fights?  What is it that they want Harry At Large for?

I suspect we won't find the answers to that for a few more books.

Oh my. gosh. FABULOUS. I love the theories!!! Hmm... well, maybe HWWB enjoys the power of knowing he can really throw Harry for a loop sometime/manipulate him against others in the evil realms to wipe out his opponents. Rather a lame theory if I'm allowed to criticise myself given the fact that he couldn't necessarily TRULY know how Harry would turn out. this also does, however, make me wonder if possibly Kemmler/DuMorne was controlling HWWB and using him to draw out Harry's power and prowess and train him by making him fight. It certainly would fit with K/DM's training methods, and perhaps K/DM was still hoping to turn him at some point (a possibly more valid, albeit outlandish theory)
Guess how many jellybeans are in my head!
I just lost XD

Offline JEdward

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 11, 2011, 04:04:58 AM »
HWWB left Harry alive for the plain fact that he has plans for Harry.  At the current moment, the OL can't get into our plane of existence - they need a gatekeeper (are you the keymaster?) to open the gate for them.  Harry has been nominated.

Offline express eric

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 11, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
I wasn't supremely overwhelmed
I mean, don't get me wrong, the book was a good read.
But I was sort of expecting Harry to dish off against a multitude of "ghosts". Not just the wraiths and the lemurs, but maybe to square off against past villains. It would have been neat to see Harry's current magical talent face off against previous foes.

I got the feeling that the whole Fitz and Aristedes debacle was just created to fill up the Book. If Jim would have substituted that area of the book and replaced it with visiting Ebenezar, Luccio, Michael (hell, maybe even Charity ;D) and other key characters. It would have gave me better satisfaction.

But Hey, Jim has said that he has outlined the books, maybe Fitz will prove a bigger ally down the road.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #442 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
I was kinda hoping he'd run into a reformed Victor Sells.  I even had a poignant and dramatic scene in my head.

Victor: Well if it isn't the man who killed me.  I wanted to say thank you for it.  I lost myself in the stuff I did and could have hurt my family.  You kept them safe though, thank you.

Harry: ... um ... You're welcome?
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

MrsAWiggins05

« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
I was kinda hoping he'd run into a reformed Victor Sells.  I even had a poignant and dramatic scene in my head.

Victor: Well if it isn't the man who killed me.  I wanted to say thank you for it.  I lost myself in the stuff I did and could have hurt my family.  You kept them safe though, thank you.

Harry: ... um ... You're welcome?

Some fan fantasies seem a little impossible. :-D

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 14, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
I'm sure this was brought up before, but can someone please refresh me... did we get to see what happened to Bob following his fight with the Anti-Bob? For the life of me I can't seem to recall any mention of him after Harry escapes the Nevernever.
I have a feeling that Harry meets up with Bob in the next book because Mab sends Harry to find him and bring him in. Harry is going to have to try very hard to convince Mab to let him live/go. Harry probably going to have to prove himself to earn a favor like that.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline dantesparadise

• Conversationalist
  • Abandon hope, all ye who enter here
    • View Profile
    • Lost: Midnight Mist Preview
« Reply #445 on: September 15, 2011, 05:35:06 PM »
Everyone's seemed to have a proxy Jack = Uriel, Lea = Mab, and Eternal Silence = Demonreach. So who's proxy was Inez?  I posit that she represented whoever it was that falsley whispered into Harry's ear (Lucifer in my opinion).
I died.  There was no life flashing before my eyes.  There were no harps.  There were no white robes.  There was no land of milk and honey.  There were no wings…

MrsAWiggins05

« Reply #446 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »
Everyone's seemed to have a proxy Jack = Uriel, Lea = Mab, and Eternal Silence = Demonreach. So who's proxy was Inez?  I posit that she represented whoever it was that falsley whispered into Harry's ear (Lucifer in my opinion).

Inez is JUST the kind of twisted little soul traipsing about as an innocent that would appeal to Lasciel...

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
Before Harry buried the coin, it started wispering in his head.  We don't know what happend to the coin after Harry called Father Forthill.  I think the wispering in Harrys ear was Lasciel, that the coin was nearby. The parasite that Demonreach talked about was Lash.  Lasciel was talking to Harry through the connection that we thought was lost to Harry.  Lash being the connection.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline circlewircle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 16, 2011, 08:05:40 PM »
Oh my. gosh. FABULOUS. I love the theories!!! Hmm... well, maybe HWWB enjoys the power of knowing he can really throw Harry for a loop sometime/manipulate him against others in the evil realms to wipe out his opponents. Rather a lame theory if I'm allowed to criticise myself given the fact that he couldn't necessarily TRULY know how Harry would turn out. this also does, however, make me wonder if possibly Kemmler/DuMorne was controlling HWWB and using him to draw out Harry's power and prowess and train him by making him fight. It certainly would fit with K/DM's training methods, and perhaps K/DM was still hoping to turn him at some point (a possibly more valid, albeit outlandish theory)

Maybe K/Dm wants to take over Harry's body when he's strong enough? Maybe the whole point of the Black Council is to throw obstacles at Harry to make him stronger. When the BAT comes around, K/DM will try to possess Harry and become the most powerful wizard in the world. So they don't want to kill him, just push him just enough to become a worthy vessel for K/DM. Of course, that's just pure speculation

Offline Me Grimlock King

• Conversationalist
  • *Me, Grimlock, no bozo. Me king! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 19, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
Was thinking about this the other day.  Lea says that she is tempted to end this "charade" (forget what she calls it) and tell Harry he killed himself.  Eternal Silence (iirc) is the one who says no you can't tell him (again paraphrasing).  Why would he do this?  What purpose would it serve?  I think it would make more sense if Eternal Silence was the proxy for Uriel here.  Since he's running the long con through the whole book.  Unless he has clued in Mab, Demonreach and others in on this journey of Harry's soul. 
Magic, motherf*cker.