Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 224626 times)

Offline Quester

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #390 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:23 AM »
I don't supcribe to the Molly is Mab train of thought. And thats another argument I don't want to start up again. Is it posible, sure anything is. But I don't think so.
I won’t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.

No matter where you go, There you are.

Offline Revenge of Newton

• Participant
  • Math is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 17, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
I agree with Quester.

I'm actually not a big fan of too many "X = Y" Revelations. I mean it's already expected that someone is the traitor on the council, and that might be Big Revelation Number One, but we should avoid too many of those. Except for Cowl. I'm okay with Cowl being someone we know.
SCIENCE!

Offline WhoWalksBehind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 17, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
Wow.

Winter Knight Harry is going to be an Epic Mystic Wrecking Ball Of The Apocalypse, particularly while standing on Demonreach.

Laschiel may not be up on current events, but in terms of magic theory & soulfire in particular, I suspect she'll blow Bob (not like that) out of the water.

Hehe   ;)

You are so right. CD will be beyond epic I can't wait! But, what happend to the gradual escalation of power we have seen throughout the books? In Changes in particular his powers went through the roof. I think it is going to be tough to keep going the way Jim is.. I mean how bad ass are the bad guys going to have to be if Haarry keeps going with his power progression?

Arch Angel anyone.

Offline lewis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2011, 11:05:25 PM »
Hehe   ;)

You are so right. CD will be beyond epic I can't wait! But, what happend to the gradual escalation of power we have seen throughout the books? In Changes in particular his powers went through the roof. I think it is going to be tough to keep going the way Jim is.. I mean how bad ass are the bad guys going to have to be if Haarry keeps going with his power progression?

Arch Angel anyone.

Well we've seen how strong Cowl is and he's only one member of the Black Council.  Presumably Harry's going to make every agreement and truce he can to fight them ie pick up the coin and ally himself with Nicodemus temporarily, maybe perform the Darkhallow etc

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 18, 2011, 01:57:30 AM »
I think Harry has a long way to go in his powers. Just look at how easily Injun Joe bested the skinwalker, how effortlessly McCoy deflected bullets and killed hundreds at the Red Court battle, and the Merlin is probably at least as strong as those two (Harry could not begin to do what the Merlin did when fighting the mistfiend). He cannot protect himself from a mind attack from the likes of Corpsetaker. Harry cannot even do the laser-beam trick that Luccio uses to cut people down. And Harry certainly cannot predict the future like the Gatekeeper does.

Still plenty for Harry to learn.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:25:26 AM by john4200 »

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 19, 2011, 01:32:05 AM »
In terms of raw power, Harry have a lot of raw magical muscle + soulfire + winter knight powers + Demonreach and his skills have improve a lot. He already can use the laser beam trick when he fight the giant scorpion in changes, though he have to use his blasting rod to do it. But in terms of skill, he is still far, far behind. Hell, even Molly can do many things better than Harry.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 19, 2011, 01:57:04 AM »
Kinda reminds me of a story my dad told me years ago about when he was in college.  They had some demonstration on how to knock down a load bearing brick wall (why that was the subject of a demonstration, I have absolutely no clue, since my dad was a dentristry major at the time).  Two guys showed their respective ways of knocking it down--guy #1 exerted brute force and smashed his wall down using a sledgehammer in about 10 minutes.  The other guy examined his wall for about 5 minutes then knocked out a few bricks, which caused the wall to collapse on itself.

Same result, just that guy #2 used a lot more skill, and without expending the massive amount of energy that the other guy did.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2011, 05:26:52 AM »
He already can use the laser beam trick when he fight the giant scorpion in changes,

Giant scorpion? When was that exactly?

Offline Rich44

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 19, 2011, 07:47:52 AM »
He meant Caterpillar and Harry then states he doubts he could pull it off outside of the NeverNever

Offline dorgarli

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 19, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
I can understand how you feel, but for me it literally made me like cry out in rage in Panda Express cause I was like "noooo I want to see whats next!" (no joke i finished it like 15minutes after class in Panda). I feel that the whole revelation that he has a CHOICE to do whatever and not even MAB can take that away from him was a really great conclusion. It shows that Harry will still be himself, but be in a greater position of power to act against whoever his enemies may be (preferably the Black Council).
the blackstaff and the winter knight tearing through the black council would be NICE.  what did you and grampa do today? well.......

Offline Quester

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 19, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »
Centipede and now theres two of them. lol
I won’t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.

No matter where you go, There you are.

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
And now Lea has two gaping maws to feed. But wouldn't each gaping maw eat only half as much?

Anyway, it seemed like Luccio could keep the laser beam super light-sabre thing going for quite a while, but Harry was exhausted from doing something like it only once, and he had the advantage of the Nevernever. So I think my comment that Harry cannot duplicate Luccio's skill with the laser-beam trick is still correct.

Besides, I have no doubt that if Harry could easily do a super light-sabre, he would use it all the time. Imagine how cool he would be (in his own mind at least) cutting bad guys to pieces with a magic light sabre.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:57:20 AM by john4200 »

Offline rose29206

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2011, 02:43:50 AM »
Kinda reminds me of a story my dad told me years ago about when he was in college.  They had some demonstration on how to knock down a load bearing brick wall (why that was the subject of a demonstration, I have absolutely no clue, since my dad was a dentristry major at the time).  Two guys showed their respective ways of knocking it down--guy #1 exerted brute force and smashed his wall down using a sledgehammer in about 10 minutes.  The other guy examined his wall for about 5 minutes then knocked out a few bricks, which caused the wall to collapse on itself.

Same result, just that guy #2 used a lot more skill, and without expending the massive amount of energy that the other guy did.

Nice illustration of the point ... and now I really want to chat with my cousin in dentistry school to see what kinds of things they're getting up to, lol.  ;)
Harry Lives.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »
Here is my estimate on Harry's current level of raw strength. This is what Mab say about the Winter Knight power in Dead Beat.

"Things have changed, wizard," Mab said. "You know the kind of power you face in Kemmler's heirs. As the Winter Knight, you would have strength far outweighing even your own considerable gifts. You would have the wherewithal to face your foes, rather than slinking through the night gathering up whispers to use against them."

We know that one of Kemler's heir is Cowl, who is as strong as a senior council member. I think Mab statement can possibly mean one of two things:

1. Winter Knight's  power alone is as strong as any of Kemler's heir which means it is as strong as any of the senior council.
WK power = SC power

or
2. Winter Knight's power is enough to make someone like Harry to become as strong as any of Kemler's heir or as strong as any of the senior council.

WK power + Harry's talent = SC power

In Dead beat, Harry had Hellfire which may or may not be accounted for in Mab's statement. And Hellfire is suppose to be equal to soulfire in power.

If it is accounted for then:

WK power + Harry's talent + Soulfire/Hellfire = SC power, which is Harry's current power level by the end of ghost story.

But if the first interpretation of Mab's statement above is true, than Harry's current power level is:

SC power level/ WK power  + Harry's talent + Soulfire. And that is off Demonreach. A bit high for my comfort.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2011, 09:02:06 AM »
It is more than just strength. There is skill. Most, if not all, Senior Council members would beat Harry in a fight, since they are much more skilled and experienced.