Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 224626 times)

Offline Lubi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »
My problem with anything discussing Lash, is that she was a photocopy stored in Harry's brain and those parts were damaged.  That means that he would have to regen those parts of his brain in order to bring back Lash.  I think the nerves are somewhat able to regenerate (see Harry's hand), but that brain matter is an order of magnitude less likely to regenerate.  Wizard Rashid not having both his eyes seems to lend some credence to the conclusion that there are limits to what a wizard can regenerate.

But be reminded of the WoJ that Lash's story is not over (repeated in several instances, AFAIK).

Offline Pendrath

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 06, 2011, 02:25:19 AM »
 First time poster long time Dresden fan. I was very interested in the construction of Harry's resurrection. After all the powerful characters that Harry has encountered, that it was Demonreach in conjunction with Mab that kept his body alive still surprised me. I foresaw the fact that his body was alive about halfway through the book but it was the saviors that surprised me. I was not surprised however that Harry had never considered the consequences of his actions to those around him by orchestrating his own death, because let's face it when has he ever? I loved Ghost story and although I miss James Marsters voice, John Glover did an excellent job of capturing Harry and Company.
Bravo to all!

Offline Quester

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 06, 2011, 06:55:47 AM »
I don't think Lash would hold up very well.  At all.  Fallen angel's "thumb print" given free will vs FALLEN ANGEL.  I'm thinking "Oh, I left a smudge on the window... >wipe<".

I wouldn't be too sure of that. She might have started off as a copy. But a copy still has all (some argument on this) of her memories, and a fallen would only be as strong of the vessel they're wearing.
I won’t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.

No matter where you go, There you are.

Offline topsail25

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 06, 2011, 02:41:04 PM »
I wouldn't be too sure of that. She might have started off as a copy. But a copy still has all (some argument on this) of her memories, and a fallen would only be as strong of the vessel they're wearing.

And, since Lash had been using Harry's lifeforce/energies to sustain herself AND Harry now has access to soulfire (using his soul to turbocharge spells, turning it from passive existence to active usability making many of his spells more real) perhaps Lash can also use it to rebulid/heal or make herself more than she had been.  Also, Harry has a tendency to take on those with considerably greater power and eek out a win or at least a non-loss.

Should that house of cards stand, the question then begs to be asked.....Did Uriel know Lash was still around and that she would be able to use said soulfire to help herself and that perhaps her self sacrifice was worthy of a little help....and add another layer of future toughness that Harry will need by the time the BAT rolls around.......

Or maybe I should have just gotten more sleep last night......
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:42:40 PM by topsail25 »

Offline Sunburned White Court

• Conversationalist
  • I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 06, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
So what I'm wondering is which of the Fallen actually whispered to him (I'm terribly sorry if this has been covered...) Was it Lasciel being a jerkwad or some random unknown?
Guess how many jellybeans are in my head!
I just lost XD

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 06, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
So what I'm wondering is which of the Fallen actually whispered to him (I'm terribly sorry if this has been covered...) Was it Lasciel being a jerkwad or some random unknown?

Well, drawing the most obvious conclusion from what Jim said at the NYC Q&A,
(click to show/hide)

Not even my $0.02 - it's too cracktheory to charge for. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

MrsAWiggins05

« Reply #306 on: August 06, 2011, 09:22:53 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Not necessarily. He just said that she appeared "not under that name." She could have been the parasite.

Offline suziequzie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:33 AM »
Just finished it. I got really, really teary-eyed when Uriel takes him to the Carpenter house and he learns Maggie will be loved and cared for.

Very good read, now I'm waiting for the next one.

Offline suziequzie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2011, 12:58:11 AM »
First time poster here, long time Dresden-o-phile.

... I personally think that they are setting up Molly as his H.E.E. down the line... (edited for space)

I'm fairly new here, and a google search brings up nothing relevant that I can see.  What does H.E.E. stand for?

Offline Sunburned White Court

• Conversationalist
  • I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2011, 01:37:26 AM »
@ spoiler- hmm.... true. but that also makes me wonder because depending on what she's determined as a shadow of herself if she wants to be a separate and helpful is she trying to off herself or if in seeming she had originally done so to protect him, if she's staying true to her path change then would she actually have done that for that specific end (and ineffectual YAY) result?
Guess how many jellybeans are in my head!
I just lost XD

Offline topsail25

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »
(click to show/hide)

But Lash had said many times (I don't have the books handy to quote....sorry) that she was all about preserving Harry in order to preserve herself.....self immolation was not her schtick and she cared about *existing*.  Lash whispering in Harry's ear is likely not the case because she never existed as far as we know, as something visible outside of the inside of Harry's mind.  Her reflective self should have retained her most basic behaviors, chief among which was self preservation.....free will and self sacrifice were learned later.  That character never struck me as trending towards a metaphysical kamikaze and it seems most logical (or personally appealing, I guess) that she would be characterized as a parasite and that she would be doing all she was ALLOWED to do to keep her host alive.

Offline FWHJames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2011, 03:42:05 AM »
ARGH WHAT ABOUT BOB? Did he take down Nazi Bob? Will Harry get back Bob so he can stop being super dork Bob?

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 07, 2011, 05:38:42 AM »
ARGH WHAT ABOUT BOB? Did he take down Nazi Bob? Will Harry get back Bob so he can stop being super dork Bob?

Yeah, then he can go back to dirty old man Bob. Makes you wonder where Bob got that from, considering that with Butters he took after Butters' personality.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 07, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
Not necessarily. He just said that she appeared "not under that name." She could have been the parasite.
Lash was already running on Harrys life force before White Night. Anything left of her after White Night would run on his life force as well. If lashes story was not over she had to become a parasite after White Night. She may become something else later.

I do not think Lash can talk to Harry at this stage. She would have done so otherwise and she would not agree with suicidal plans or try to help him survive anyway. 

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Nickels for Knights

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »
Yeah, then he can go back to dirty old man Bob. Makes you wonder where Bob got that from, considering that with Butters he took after Butters' personality.

Harry got Bob when he was around 16. Hormones and what not...