Author Topic: Borders shutting down country wide.... Heart aching....  (Read 1787 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Borders shutting down country wide.... Heart aching....
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
Where will I go to browse those books eye to spine? 40 minutes away in Des Moines? No way.

Tis a sad, sad day.  Someone come in and buy out those leases and start up a new bookstore----please!?!?!?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Borders shutting down country wide.... Heart aching....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »
I am always sad to see any bookstore close, whether it is a little one or big.  I am greatful that I have a B&N right in the town I work in. 
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »
yeah the one near me also closed luckily there is a barns and noble close by as well. however i own the borders e-reader so if the whole company goes under I'm screwed
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:10:38 AM »
yeah the one near me also closed luckily there is a barns and noble close by as well. however i own the borders e-reader so if the whole company goes under I'm screwed
Borders didn't have their own ereader.  The readers will still work, and you can still get books elsewhere.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:28:30 AM »
I was sad to see them closing. I was in one of our local stores yesterday and all the employees looked shell shocked. Luckily I live in a large city so there are a couple of Barnes and Noble stores near by but I hate to see book stores close. Of course in todays job market, I hate to see any large employer go belly up. It's truly sad.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
There ares no real bookstores close to where I live. Even Borders is up in Atlantic City, about an hour's drive from Cape May. Closest B & N is about three hours away. So I'll miss Borders.

We have something called Atlantoc Books here, who specialize in selling remaindered books - admittedly, cut rate prices, but few new books as they come out. Mostly NYT best sellers (yeah, that means hopefully GS after it's been out a week or so.) me, I have eBook version on preorder anyway. What Atlantic gets in though is very hit or miss. It doesn't have the same friendly atmosphere the Borders in Mays Landing has, either.

And for those of you with B & N ... According to Katherine Raush's newest blog, B & N stores have been told by corporate HQ to eliminate a bunch of their shelf spacemfor books and replace it with toys, gift items, etc. So the number of books they can have on hand is going to decrease dramatically.... *sigh* d*****d bean counters. Most people go to book stores for books, not toys or gift items...
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »
that's something that has always bothered me about privately owned book stores. i went to school in a very small town and there were three small private book sellers. one was used books but you could find lots of cool stuff and the staff were really nice, the other two were not well stocked on their fantasy scifi and their staff didn't really seem to want to interact with costumers, borders staff were always friendly and did their best to help me even when i had odd requests.

Honestly i liked them a lot better than Barns and Noble and am very sad that they are a sinking ship.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.