Author Topic: Poitions, Gods, Weapons and Wizards  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Runhide

• Participant
    • View Profile
Poitions, Gods, Weapons and Wizards
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
My character is a wizard specializing in weapons/armor.  The person I would like to assist in battle is a holy based fighter.  He already has a weapon that is holy in nature but it does not have the All Creatures Are Equal Before God ability.  I would like to make a potion so he can temporarily use this aspect.  Suggestion on if I could even do this if so how it would best be done?

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Poitions, Gods, Weapons and Wizards
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
Talk to your gm & gaming group, and expect to spend a lot of fate points.  That's not something that I, as a gm, would allow in potion form - but I'm not the one running your game, so whether I'd allow what you want is mostly irrelevant.

However, saying "I wouldn't let you do that" isn't really helpful, so here's an alternative notion:
Leave a potion slot empty - at which point, a regular old lore declaration can fill it in with whatever you need to bypass the current foe's defenses.  Need fire to hurt the ice drake?  Sure, lore declaration (difficulty 2), and you had already prepared an oil that creates a "flaming blade" aspect when applied to a sword.  Need inherited silver to hurt a loup-garou?  Sure, lore declaration (difficulty 7), and you've got a prepared mixture of inherited silver dissolved into a liquid form and enchanted to be usable as a weapon coating.  And so on.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
Ok, giving someone temporary powers through thaumaturgy is totally possible. Here's the run down.

First check with your GM. This is partially created from some statements Fred made and the rest is made up by the forum gurus, so it's not directly RAW. Complexity starts at a number of shifts equal to the power's refresh cost (In this case I'd cost All creatures... at 3), add shifts to take the target out (necessary for "remaking" them) which normally would be in the 20+ range, but in this case, the target is willing and does not have to take consequences so I'd say enough to overcome the stress track. Now you have a All creatures are equal before god potion. When someone drinks it, they must spend fate equal to the cost of the power (to pay for the temporary power, as is the case for any temporary power) and they have the power for the duration of the potion (which is a scene unless you spend shifts for duration).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:54:32 PM by sinker »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
I think it might be possible to do it without potions and magic (I like to keep faith effects out of magic, although it might technically be all the same). If the character is based on a holy concept, I believe that should be reflected in his high concept, which is an aspect. That aspect could be justification enough (At least by invoking it) to say "here, your deity is granting you the power of "All Creatures Are Equal Before God" for this scene, if you can pay a fate point for it.

However, I would only allow this very sporadically, perhaps not even more than once. After that, I would ask the character to buy the power permanently if he wants to keep using it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »
I think it might be possible to do it without potions and magic (I like to keep faith effects out of magic, although it might technically be all the same). If the character is based on a holy concept, I believe that should be reflected in his high concept, which is an aspect. That aspect could be justification enough (At least by invoking it) to say "here, your deity is granting you the power of "All Creatures Are Equal Before God" for this scene, if you can pay a fate point for it.

True, he does have plenty of justification to simply temporarily acquire the power on his own, however I'd follow the rules for temporary powers (I.E. pay fate=to refresh cost).

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »
True, he does have plenty of justification to simply temporarily acquire the power on his own, however I'd follow the rules for temporary powers (I.E. pay fate=to refresh cost).
Yes, I meant the temporary powers rules. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

I mainly just wanted to point out, that there is no need for a potion or other gimmicks with a character like that, because he could simply invoke his high concept for access to temporary powers. ("Lord I bid thee, assist me in the fight against this vile creature." Cue chorus and divine light)

In fact, in this case, I would outright deny the use of a potion or thaumaturgy to gain "All Creatures Are Equal Before God" in favour for the holy fighter doing it through his high concept. Other potions like blocks, attacks or maybe even maneuver potions would still be ok, of course, it just seems, that the power would be between the fighter and his deity.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline LordScythe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »
Whoops wrong topic!
"Go be STUPID on your own time!" Lord Scythe

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:05 AM »
In fact, in this case, I would outright deny the use of a potion or thaumaturgy to gain "All Creatures Are Equal Before God" in favour for the holy fighter doing it through his high concept. Other potions like blocks, attacks or maybe even maneuver potions would still be ok, of course, it just seems, that the power would be between the fighter and his deity.

Meh, the power in and of itself doesn't necessarily have to be directly linked to the white god. That version is, but you could have a power that does the same thing with a different name and association. I happen to agree with you about faith powers and magic mixing, but I just don't see this power (spending a Fate point to act as a catch) as being exclusive to the faith set.