Author Topic: How to enchant a weapon? Not a Warden's sword!  (Read 5352 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: How to enchant a weapon? Not a Warden's sword!
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »
There is a section of the book which encourages FATE-point-light casters to use multiple copies of the same Maneuver, but it does not specify each had to be treated as a separate spell for purposes of duration. My read on Thaumaturgy is that you package up the shifts of effect and THEN start adding shifts for duration. That said, to make each Aspect "sticky" you still need to add a shift: I think that is in keeping with the rules.

If we were to charge shifts to add duration for each element of a ritual, that ritual could become ridiculously difficult to counterspell or undo. Though that could be an advantage for a warlock looking to make a spell or ritual harder to counter: that is an interesting and potentially drama-worthy element.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
Something else I've been thinking about lately is that the concept behind a free tag is that your character has discovered (or created) an aspect and as the only one adjusted to the change in circumstances gets a temporary advantage. This may or may not apply to the wizard boosting ritual, limiting the amount of free tags he might receive from the spell. Consider that the first time the wizard busts into a conflict and is "Surprisingly Fast" or similar he would definitely get that temporary advantage as his opponents are not expecting this. However if he does this every day for an extended period of time it's likely to stop surprising the enemy as word gets around that the character uses his magic to achieve supernatural speeds.

Of course this is all just my read on a situation and I'm not certain that it's something that even should be represented mechanically. An aspect should be an aspect every time, or it becomes a little unstable as players search for "more effective" aspects. Likely if I had a player who used said ritual daily after a point I would tell him that at this point the aspect is not really appropriate for what he wants and that he should really just pick up Inhuman Speed, with the excuse being that he has focused his magic on creating this power in himself.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling. I just remember this kind of daily wizard boosting ritual being discussed some time ago and I've found I've developed a few more thoughts on the subject since.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 12:10:55 AM »
Something else I've been thinking about lately is that the concept behind a free tag is that your character has discovered (or created) an aspect and as the only one adjusted to the change in circumstances gets a temporary advantage. This may or may not apply to the wizard boosting ritual, limiting the amount of free tags he might receive from the spell. Consider that the first time the wizard busts into a conflict and is "Surprisingly Fast" or similar he would definitely get that temporary advantage as his opponents are not expecting this.

More importantly, an Aspect is tagged - free or otherwise - when it becomes important to the story, in a metagame manner, not simply a tactical manner.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 01:32:48 AM »
I don't think that a tag is something that a character does. It's something that a player does. So in some unusual cases, a character could benefit from a tag on an aspect that he is not aware of.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 04:55:03 AM »
Of course now that I'm looking for it I have no idea where I got that idea, but I know I read it within the past week...