Author Topic: Math On Potion Examples  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Math On Potion Examples
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
I'm OK with most of the math on the potion examples starting YS303 - a bit tangled up in a couple of them.

Ghost Dust vs Sunburst In A Hanky
Both are duration instantaneous
Both satisfy a specialty Catch on their intended targets (ghosts, photophobic vamps)

But Ghost Dust is a Weapon:4, and Sunburst is a Weapon:3. Assuming the caster creating it is of equal skill level (Harry has Lore 3 in the examples), and the effect strength is based on the lore of the caster (as per notes in the Sunburst example) shouldn't the Ghost Dust be Weapon:3 as well?

Durations
How was the duration worked out for a potion like Scent Suppression?

Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:56:28 AM by Arcteryx »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Math On Potion Examples
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
You can invoke aspects at the time you create potions to increase their effect. In the case of hanky vs. ghost dust, I assume it is because of a change in Harry's Lore between SF and GP.

A potion like the Scent Suppression, I would always set a base duration of "one scene", because that is how long it needs to work anyway. For combat potions, I would set the duration as per evocation rules, 1 shift per exchange, but this is something to avoid a conflict, and having to reapply something like this every few moments is kind of tedious.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »
Could it have something to do with the fact that you need to be generally happy to make a Sunburst Hanky? Or that Ghost Dust is specifically a Catch for ghosts and sunlight is a broader Catch for more creatures? Just thinking out loud...

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »
I'm not sure about those specific examples.  However, I'd like to point out that the books do have a few editing errors and miscalculations in places.  For example, there are several stat blocks in Our World with Claws (Weapon rating 2) and Inhuman or Supernatural Strength (+2 or +4 to damage), yet their total damage output is listed as being 3 or 5.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
Durations
How was the duration worked out for a potion like Scent Suppression?

Scent suppression is likely thaumaturgy in a bottle (you can do anything that evocation or thaumaturgy can do with enchanted items), so it gets a longer base duration.

Haru's probably spot on about the ghost dust/sunburst. His lore probably changed between the books.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 05:20:35 AM »
OK thanks guys :) Had to cover the bases for those questions that always come up :)