Author Topic: Limits on Resources/ Contacts  (Read 3036 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Limits on Resources/ Contacts
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:51:46 PM »
Someone in my game joked about hiring Kincaid and it made me wonder how well would a person have to roll (resources/contacts) to justify hiring someone like Kincaid or Gard and if allowing this sort of leverage of high end resources/contacts was reasonable.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Limits on Resources/ Contacts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:10 AM »
Well, Marcone has Gard employed, so his resources/contacts should get the job done. However, simply knowing where to hire a Valkyrie does not mean you will actually get one, Donnar Vadderung will still have to give his ok on this one, and that might need more than a simple skillroll. Or even getting to Vadderung would require more than a simple roll but an adventure in itself. We know nothing about how Marcone met either one of them, but I would say it took him more than a phone call, too.

As for Kincaid, I would let the player roll contacts (maybe modified by lore to see that he is looking in the right circles) to get the word out, that he is looking for him. Then I would let Kincaid find him, similar to the way he found Harry in DM (I think it was DM), neutralizing his power (supernatural or otherwise) and then discussing payment options. Or I would simply deny the player to roll, declaring that Kincaid is in a contract at the moment and can't go anywhere. And last but not least: Kincaid worked with Harry because Ivy (who he is with because of her mother) liked him, and he still charged him a lot for it. Why would he let any stranger ring him up to work for him? It is definitely not his style.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:20:37 AM »
I'd say finding a random thug is Contacts +1 (ganger)/ +2 for competent (ex cop)/ +3 for skilled (ex-special forces)/+4 for total badass.
And use the above for costs.

+1 for aware of the supernatural (like say one of Marcone's mundane bodyguards)/+2 for clued in.

+1 for specific types by name.

So getting Gard or Kinkaid personally would be +7 contacts rolls, someone like them a +6.
So to find someone like that, you need to do a lot of legwork and call in a lot of favors, but if you have real money, you can afford them on occasion.

So yes, you can leverage super high contacts, but they will have their own agendas and needs. Even if you find them, and can meet their hourly rates, you still need to convince them to accept the job. Ward my house is easy, raid a temple in tibet to kidnap fu dog puppies may be not so much...

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
The big question for me is: are those guys only interested in money? I would say no. So, regardless of the resources available, they will work for you only when you can give them the right things or if working for you fulfils their own agenda. So it might happen that you regret you choice of employees...

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:34 PM »
The dark powers are always willing to help?
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »
The "The Boss" Contacts stunt from the homebrew stunts list might be helpful. A similar stunt could easily exist in Resources.

Hiring a mercenary isn't easy for a normal guy. Even if you have enough money, you still need to do a fair bit of work unless you have a pre-existing relationship of some kind with them. So it'd normally qualify as a story in itself, I think.

Also, hiring Kincaid specifically is probably a bad idea. He's got too much plot armour.

But otherwise, I have no problem with the idea. Just don't expect it to make things easy.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »
Also, hiring Kincaid specifically is probably a bad idea. He's got too much plot armour.

Maybe his associate, Finncaid.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
Maybe his associate, Finncaid.
Or a supernatural A-Team.

"In 1872 a crack Warden unit was sent to die by a White Council court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the supernatural underground. Today, still wanted by the White Council, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
I laughed so hard I just spit coffee on myself. That was excellent.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »

"In 1872 a crack Warden unit was sent to die by a White Council court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the supernatural underground. Today, still wanted by the White Council, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."

That would be such an awesome idea for a game!

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »

Brilliant. You seriously made my morning.

All you need is a team name that isn't totally obvious. That way, it takes the players like half a session to figure it out. It would be wonderful when you heard, "Wait a minute. Oh. Awww, what the crap?"

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 12:23:19 AM »
The Aleph Consortium?
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:48:37 AM »
Excellent stuff.

People would complain if Kincaid got chumped, but with Finncaid or the Aleph Consortium it'd be fine.

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 06:48:42 AM »
The Artemis Squadron ?
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 03:26:11 AM »
OK the supernatural A-Team is definitely going to find a place of honor (and possible infamy) in my setting.  Toturi, you're a genius.
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.