Author Topic: IoP from that *other* wizard Harry  (Read 1253 times)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
IoP from that *other* wizard Harry
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
After watching Deathly Hallows pt 1 and 2 last night as a double feature, it got me thinking how difficult it would be to stat up the Deathly Hallows in the Dresdenverse. Some of the Imparted abilities are modified versions of standard abilities. As a fun exercise, how would y'all stat these out?

Resurrection Stone -
One-Time Discount +1
It Is What It Is. It's a polished stone from a river bed.
Unbreakable
Ghost Speaker -1
Supernatural Sense (Ghosts) -1. Only you can see the ghosts you have summoned with the Resurrection Stone.
Total Refresh: -1

Invisibility Cloak -
One-Time Discount +2
It Is What It Is. It's a finely made cloak.
Unbreakable
Greater Veils -3. Modified form of Greater Glamours, but removes Seemings and True Seemings to recover +1 refresh, limiting the ability only to veils at +2.
Sight Immunity -2. You cannot be seen through The Sight while veiled.
Total Refresh: -3

Elder Wand -
One-Time Discount +2. Instead of the +1 for a concealable IoP, the reputation of the Elder Wand precedes it.
It Is What It Is. It's an Evocation focus rod made from an Elder tree.
Unbreakable
Refinement x6 -6. Because the Elder Wand is a powerful evocation focus, you are allowed up to 12 points in specialization bonuses for Evocation using whatever element you wish. Once this is initially set, it cannot be changed unless it is stolen from you and retrieved again (reflected by changing your High Concept to reflect you have lost the Elder Wand and then changing it back). You still must follow the skill pyramid.
Physical Immunity -3. If you are still the true master of the Elder Wand (reflected by your high concept), then magic cast at you using the Elder Wand will not harm you. (my math for this is as follows: -8 for power, +2 something specific, +2 bypassed by something reasonable anybody could get their hands on, +1 specific research material = -3)
Total Refresh: -7

What do y'all think? How would you improve it?
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline stitchy1503

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: IoP from that *other* wizard Harry
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:09:11 PM »
I think the invisibility cloak would be better as just a magic item, since the original cloak doesn't grant the person using it the ability, it just does what it does.
DV stitchy1503 v1.2 YR 8 FR2 BK++ RP++++ JB TH+ WG+ CL++ SW BC+ MC-- SH[murph+++ molly++ mavra----]

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
I think the invisibility cloak would be better as just a magic item, since the original cloak doesn't grant the person using it the ability, it just does what it does.

That would be a good alternative for all of the other invisibility cloaks in the series, which were said to eventually run out and fade over time.  The true invisibility cloak would be of IoP strength, I think. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:07:10 AM »
About the stone: Shouldn't it also let you summon ghosts? Speaking to them and finding them with Contacts doesn't seem to cover it. Also, I think that the Supernatural Sense might be redundant.

About the cloak: There is an invisibility power in progress on the custom powers master list. For 3 refresh, it'd give you a Great block against being seen.

About the wand: HP-style magic is briefly discussed here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19162.0.html